Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Ok, I've officially had it with those Nextel phones and the people who use them

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-18-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

How annoying is this becoming? It's always been bad enough that while standing in line at the grocery, post office, bank etc. I have to listen to some nitwit talking on their cell phone. Now I have to be subjected to both sides of the conversation?!?

Plus it always seems like whoever the person is on the other end of one of those phones forgets that they are talking to someone who is broadcasting their entire conversation live for the public. Maybe they are alone in their home or car and feel no need to censor their comments, or don't worry about proving to the world how big of an idiot they are. I guess they forget that the other moron they are talking to is standing in a Starbucks.

I can see these phones being useful for those that need them for work, like a limo, taxi, or delivery guy. But everybody else should just keep it to themselves.
Old 05-18-05, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

always wondered what the point of the walkie-talkie? Is it that much trouble to hold the damn phone to your ear?
Old 05-18-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I usually just join in the conversation tossing in odd/annoying banter until they get fed up with it and end the conversation.....
Old 05-18-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bigsoos
always wondered what the point of the walkie-talkie? Is it that much trouble to hold the damn phone to your ear?

my nextel is from work and I'm not 100% sure about the billing, but I'm pretty sure the walkie talkie is free. You can call who ever you want on it and not use up your minutes.
Old 05-18-05, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by al_bundy
my nextel is from work and I'm not 100% sure about the billing, but I'm pretty sure the walkie talkie is free. You can call who ever you want on it and not use up your minutes.
The push to talk is free, but of course you both have to have Nextel. I can call anyone else with a Verizon phone for free, and have a normal phone conversation. Their IN network is great.
Old 05-18-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Why are all the conversations always this?

*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Yo what's up?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Just here getting a sandwich."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"That's cool."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Yeah."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"So what you doin'?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Not much, nah mean."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"I hear that."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"You talk to Ronny?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Nah."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"He tell you 'bout Trisha?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Nuh huh."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"He told me bout somethin."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Yeah."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Yeah she saw the move it was aiite."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Which movie?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"That Kingdom one with the boy from the rings movie."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"It was tight?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Yeah she said."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Man this sandwich takin forever."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"What kind is it?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Hold up"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"OK"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Heh, no OK thanks."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"What?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Nothin' just payin for the sandwich."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Alright call me later."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"You at your mom's?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Nah call the cell I'm-a be down at the J."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Cool."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*

Old 05-18-05, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by noonan4224
The push to talk is free, but of course you both have to have Nextel. I can call anyone else with a Verizon phone for free, and have a normal phone conversation. Their IN network is great.
BoostMobile (prepaid cell service using the Nextel network) can also inter-operate with Nextel w/t features. They have a $1.50 flat rate for the day that you use it for unlimited use. For infrequent use, it is a great deal.
Old 05-18-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My new neighbors have those things. They really are annoying with the constant beeping/clicking noise thing that they make.

I swear the other day they were having an argument and one of them was in the house on the thing and the other was outside in the backyard. What, people can't argue face to face anymore?
Old 05-18-05, 10:15 AM

I used to have a Nextel was paid for by my employer. You do have the option to turn off the speaker and use the radio function while holding it to your ear. That's what I would do when I was in a public setting. Some people are just inconsiderate.
Old 05-18-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

so long as it's "official"
Old 05-18-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Bus

*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Yo what's up?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"That's cool."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Yeah."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"So what you doin'?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Not much, nah mean."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"I hear that."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"You talk to Ronny?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Nah."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Nuh huh."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Yeah."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Which movie?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"It was tight?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Yeah she said."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"What kind is it?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Hold up"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"OK"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Heh, no OK thanks."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"What?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Alright call me later."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"You at your mom's?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Cool."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*

Exactly!
That's great.
Old 05-18-05, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus

*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Yo what's up?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"That's cool."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Yeah."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"So what you doin'?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Not much, nah mean."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"I hear that."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"You talk to Ronny?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Nah."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Nuh huh."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Yeah."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Which movie?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"It was tight?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Yeah she said."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"What kind is it?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Hold up"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"OK"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Heh, no OK thanks."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"What?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Alright call me later."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"You at your mom's?"
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*
"Cool."
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*
*Bree-brreeeeep*

Old 05-18-05, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted By Holysmoker
I used to have a Nextel was paid for by my employer. You do have the option to turn off the speaker and use the radio function while holding it to your ear. That's what I would do when I was in a public setting. Some people are just inconsiderate.
That's exactly what I do. It pisses me off when people hold it up to there ear even when they have the volume setting on full blast.
Old 05-18-05, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I can't stand it when people call me on the radio and speak for like 5 minutes non-stop and then wonder why it cut off after 20 seconds
Old 05-18-05, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

well, get used to it. PTT is one of the next big things in wireless phones. Verizon has started doing it, sprint has started doing it, and almost every other company has it planed. IIRC, it compresses the voice data, and since its not full duplex, it cuts back on the bandwith cell towers use, thereby allowing more people to use a tower at a time.
Old 05-18-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by uli2000
well, get used to it. PTT is one of the next big things in wireless phones. Verizon has started doing it, sprint has started doing it, and almost every other company has it planed. IIRC, it compresses the voice data, and since its not full duplex, it cuts back on the bandwith cell towers use, thereby allowing more people to use a tower at a time.
I thought the GSM carriers couldn't deploy PTT due to some technical limitation? Anyone care to comment?
Old 05-18-05, 01:21 PM

This is one of my pet peeves as well...I'm not sure why people insist on using the speaker phone in a public setting. I have a Nextel phone, not by choice, work issued to it me and the direct connect function is quite handy. However, I use direct connect just as I do my phone at home, the speaker phone is off and the phone is to my ear where only I can hear the conversation. I wonder how many are listening to my conversation on the other end? Surely people are aware that the speaker phone can be turned off aren't they? The direct connect feature works just as well without it.
Old 05-18-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cliffzig
I thought the GSM carriers couldn't deploy PTT due to some technical limitation? Anyone care to comment?
It's doable, it's just that there's a standards and interoperability battle going on:

Looming standards battles
Despite the big wireless data push, analysts said major infrastructure issues could hold back services in the United States for years. Among other things, the region has yet to settle on a single cell phone standard--a problem that's likely to get worse before it gets better.

All of the major U.S. carriers are expected to renew their support for their disparate choices of cell phone technology at next week's CTIA show, analysts said. Companies range in their backing of GSM, CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) and TDMA (Time Division Multiple Access). By contrast, European and Asian carriers long ago settled on GSM.

Bill Gough, a telecom industry manager in the Global Sales Organization marketing group at Sun Microsystems, believes there's a direct relationship between large amounts of wireless data revenue and the presence of a single unified cellular standard.

"In Asia or Europe, there's homogeneity of technology that allows you to have broad distribution of common services," he said. "In the United States, we have interoperable CDMA, TDMA, GSM, and each sometimes works in two or three different frequencies each."

Competing standards and interoperability problems could slow the growth of popular push-to-talk services, which are gaining acceptance among carriers around the world.

Most push-to-talk services currently use the CDMA and IDEN (Integrated Dispatch Enhanced Network) standards, but plans are in the works to extend support to GSM and to develop technology that would work with all of the major cell phone standards.

Mark Lowenstein, the managing director of Mobile Ecosystem, and several analysts said they believe handset makers will introduce push-to-talk services for phones that use the GSM standard. That would bolster support for push-to-talk in networks based on GSM, the world's most widely adopted cell phone standard.

Pioneered by Motorola and Nextel Communications, push-to-talk allows only one person to speak at a time on a call. Although the service doesn't offer true two-way communication, it has taken off with business users because it can be cheaper and more efficient than standard cell phone service.

The arrival of GSM push-to-talk phones comes as some of biggest cell phone makers are working to develop multistandard support for push-to-talk, although interoperability problems between Nokia and the rest of the handset industry threatens to spoil the party.

Nokia, Ericsson, Motorola and Siemens decided in October to use the same push-to-talk standards and then to test their gear for interoperability--but the alliance seems to be fraying.

Ericsson executives earlier this week revealed that Nokia's push-to-talk products do not work well with network software from other suppliers.

"The Finnish vendor's interoperability issues possess damaging repercussions, since internetwork service could well be jeopardized were Nokia's (PTT) platform out of step with the rest of the industry," analyst Adrian Baschnonga wrote in a research note earlier this week from the World Markets Research Centre.

Nokia said in a statement on Tuesday that it will provide "a smooth network software upgrade path" for the technology.
Old 05-18-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by tcoursen
What, people can't argue face to face anymore?
They don't want to get shot.
Old 05-18-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My flamboyant roommate has a Nextel phone, and talks to his "female sidekick" (can I just say ***-hag?) all day on the walkie-talkie.

Basically, insults just pop out of his phone randomly all day long. Just what you want in a handheld device.

Last edited by adamblast; 05-18-05 at 02:07 PM.
Old 05-18-05, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Buy one of those cell phone jammers and keep it in your pocket. Nextel. Breeep! Beep!! Done.
Old 05-18-05, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Everytime I go out to the store or the movies, I see and hear someone with one of these walkie talkie phones.....
Old 05-18-05, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The constant Beep-Beeping is what annoys me.
Old 05-18-05, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Maxflier
The constant Beep-Beeping is what annoys me.
Agreed. Since the evening weather is now pretty nice, my neighbor has taken to sitting in a lawnchair and having a 3-hour conversation with someone every night. She speaks just loud enough that I hear an annoying murmer but I can hear that beep loud and clear. It is better if I close my doors and windows but I don't want to do that because then I miss the nice weather.

Last edited by chente; 05-18-05 at 07:18 PM.
Old 05-18-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The only people I have ever seen with Nextel phones are really ghettoish people. I always wonder how they can afford it, since Nextel is so expensive.

My favorite is when someone beeps the other caller on the walkie talkie to get their attention. Hey, those first 4 tries didn't get their attention, why not try four more?! Just leave a voicemail, christ.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.