Cat Lovers - I have a question....

Old 05-04-05, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cat Lovers - I have a question....

My next door neighbor's cat continuously brings home dead creatures and
drops them at her door.
Why do cats do this?
Her husband is out of town for the next 3 weeks and she's a wimp when it comes to picking up this sort of stuff.. so that means me and my husband have to do it.
Seriously.. why do cats do this?
Is there anything short of getting rid of the cat that can be done to prevent this?

Signed,
Very grateful for my inside dog!!
Old 05-04-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They are showing you their trophy. You need to praise them for their hunting skills.

What's the big deal ? Scoop up the body in a shovel and throw it in a dumpster.
Old 05-04-05, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

It's just a cat thing. Cats have a very, very strong prey instinct. Not much one can do about it, and like the poster above me said, it's not a big deal.

Edit: Of course, the easier solution is for her to be a good, responsible cat owner and keep the poor thing indoors, but that's neither here nor there.
Old 05-04-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Because I am the alpha. Bring me a sacrifice, feral bitch!
Old 05-04-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by WildcatLH
Edit: Of course, the easier solution is for her to be a good, responsible cat owner and keep the poor thing indoors, but that's neither here nor there.

Cats probably can't survive outside.
Old 05-04-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave

Cats probably can't survive outside.
Well, I'm not saying that, but they're much better off inside. They live longer. Indoor cats tend not to be run over by cars. Stuff like that.
Old 05-04-05, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
cats, at least the big cats like lions, also share their kill with the rest of the group, which in this case is their owner
Old 05-04-05, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mikehunt
cats, at least the big cats like lions, also share their kill with the rest of the group, which in this case is their owner
Right. If your neighbor hadn't eaten those first few birds and mice, then the cat wouldn't have kept doing this.
Old 05-04-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because I am the alpha. Bring me a sacrifice, feral bitch!
that might make my sig if it wasn't too long already.

as for cats leaving their kills on display - it's instinct. cats are awesome.
I keep mine indoors though to avoid such things as well as to keep her healthy and clean.
Old 05-04-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk God

Well, I'm not saying that, but they're much better off inside. They live longer. Indoor cats tend not to be run over by cars. Stuff like that.

Ah, but what about quality of life? Admittedly, this might be a different issue in the concrete jungle of urban America.
Old 05-04-05, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts
My cat caught a bird last summer, which of course, was still alive and fluttering around in my apartment. The bird died within a few hours. Then she caught a little mouse, and was batting it around the place too. These wonderful events aside, this place is pretty much free of rodents.
Old 05-04-05, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ah, but what about quality of life? Admittedly, this might be a different issue in the concrete jungle of urban America.
I keep my kitties inside but occassionally they will roll around on the back patio. They never wander far from home, which is a good thing considering how people drive around here.
Old 05-04-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
My next door neighbor's cat continuously brings home dead creatures and drops them at her door.
Why do cats do this?

Very grateful for my inside dog!!
It's just being a cat.

I've heard of inside cats, but never heard of an "inside dog". Where does it do it's, umm, business?
A doggy litter box?
And you never take it to the park or anyplace to run around and stuff?
Old 05-04-05, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My old roomate had a cat that would sneak out on occasion. He kept his room very dirty with empty food containers, homemade bongs, & Doctor Who tapes. One day he decided to clean and among the crap was a dead squirrel that had to have been there at least a couple of weeks since it was on the bottom layer.
Old 05-04-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

my uncles cat used to relentlessly hunt pinecones around the neighborhood and bring them to his house, and leave them on the porch. hundreds of them. the neighbors loved that thing -

dissapeared one day. very strange.
Old 05-05-05, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep - it's instinct. And an offering to the cat's pack/alpha "cat". It's a sign of love and respect, no matter how icky. The cat that I had when I was a kid did this all the time - she was mostly an outdoor cat because my parents insisted. My indoor cats regularly "kill" their toys and leave them outside my bedroom door. One of them also hunts and kills spiders for me. (then he eats them - blech!)
Old 05-05-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil L.
It's just being a cat.

I've heard of inside cats, but never heard of an "inside dog". Where does it do it's, umm, business?
A doggy litter box?
And you never take it to the park or anyplace to run around and stuff?
I had an inside dog (but she passed away in January ) She was a Chihuahua and did her business on special pads (a lot like hospital pads). She did go out for walks etc, but not as frequently as most dogs (she preferred to ride zipped up in my jacket anyway).
Old 05-05-05, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

yup

I've always heard they bring you dead stuff as a gift, but I agree with the others, it's just a cat being a cat. If the cat lives inside then I would hope its access to rodents would be much lower and the tiny corpses would stop appearing.
Old 05-05-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by WarriorPrincess
It's a sign of love and respect, no matter how icky.
I'll let y'all know how well my gifts of small dead animals are received by my mom for mother's day...
Old 05-05-05, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by WarriorPrincess
One of them also hunts and kills spiders for me. (then he eats them - blech!)
My cat did that just a few hours ago. One minute there is a spider on the ground... I turn to get a paper towel to kill it, and GULP- problem solved.
Old 05-05-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by beencrazier
My cat did that just a few hours ago. One minute there is a spider on the ground... I turn to get a paper towel to kill it, and GULP- problem solved.

My cats will see a bug/spider crawling on the floor and they just sit there and stare at it, watching it go by....

Damn fell-fed cats.
Old 05-05-05, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
My cats will see a bug/spider crawling on the floor and they just sit there and stare at it, watching it go by....

Damn fell-fed cats.

My cat reached under the sofa the other day to get a bug out (it had crawled under there while I was getting a paper towel) so daddy could kill it .
Old 05-05-05, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yes, that is common. Mine have brought me a lizard (small) from time to time. Do not punish the cat, they think they are doing good.

One thing you can try is to put a colar on the cat that has a bell. When they "pounce" to catch the littler critter, it should make enough noise to scare the critter away. You cat might not be to happy, but should at least cut back on the number.
Old 05-06-05, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Cats were bred for centuries to catch mice and other creatures that would eat stored grain, and thus to hunt and kill even when they aren't hungry. As others have said, since they don't necessarily eat their kill, they are bringing it to their owner for approval.
Old 05-06-05, 02:00 PM

My cat caught a small snake once, in our apartment no less. She didn't kill it. Just kept throwing it up in the air like it was a moving piece of string. She was also very good at killing crickets, which was great because I hate those chirping menaces. She was better at these jobs as a kitten, now she's just happy to stare at moving insects.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.