Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

"Famous" Chicago nutjobs/bums

Old 05-03-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"Famous" Chicago nutjobs/bums

I was going to title this "The nutjob who preaches at State/Washington", but then I thought that there were a LOT more nutjobs than just this guy.

Anybody else think the guy at State/Washington outside the Old Navy on the microphone is a true nutjob. I've been on this side of the loop for almost 4 years and everytime I walk past the Old Navy, he is out there preaching the lords gospel. Seriously. Every freakin' day. He kinda looks like Deion Sanders so I when I see him.

Another good example of a nutjob is the guy who plays the piano between the Red and Blue line at the Washington stop (under the tunnel). I used to use the Blue line Washington stop and I would see this guy DAY IN AND DAY OUT. He's been there for at LEAST 5 years, and GuessWho tells me that he has been there for at least another 2+ years ... so he's been playing the piano (and I use the word "play" loosely, he royally sucks and you can barely hear his scratchy voice over the piano) for 7 years.

Anyway ... any other favorite Chicago nutjobs?
Old 05-03-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Jesse Jackson
Old 05-03-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ronnie Woo Woo
Old 05-03-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by GuessWho
Ronnie Woo Woo
Ronnie Woo Woo was involved in an accident earlier this year. Let me dig up the story.
Old 05-03-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A little over 3 weeks ago.

4/19/05 9:15pm - Woo-Woo Hit by Car

The ultimate Cubs fan, Ronnie "Woo-Woo" Wickers received a good bump on the head after a car backed into him outside Wrigley Field on Monday.

If Woo-Woo is not at visitor parks during road games, he is usually found around Wrigley Field. That is just where he was on Monday when he was the victim of the accident.

Wickers was taken to the hospital, but was released after having a neck examination. He left with a small headache, but it may have been justice served since Woo-Woo has been giving many fans headaches at Cubs games for years. Woo-Woo can be found at just about any Cubs event chanting his famous "Cubs.. Woo!!!"

He is considered the unofficial mascot of the Chicago Cubs and is currently starring in a documentary about his life.
Old 05-03-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

lol I remember all three of those...
Old 05-03-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Would Harry Carey (RIP) qualify?
Old 05-03-05, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm leaning more towards the homeless/bums that do weird things, but Harry Carey was indeed a nutjob in his own right.
Old 05-03-05, 01:35 PM

There's one lady that's always near Grant Park. I think she is "the cat lady". Scares the shit out of me sometimes.
Old 05-03-05, 01:43 PM

"Emaciated Street Yanni"

One of the hosts on WSCR would mention him every now and then: a deathly thin guy walking around in a brown sports-coat (with natty white t-shirt underneath) with long greasy black hair and mustache. Then I finally saw him ambling down Wacker, just as described. He sure does look like Yanni.
Old 05-03-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Bartman
Old 05-03-05, 02:21 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

Is that the skinny white blind guy with a guitar and a dog on a rope?

or that chubby wite girl wrapped in blankets yelling "Help my KITTY" (apparently shes cuddling a kitty)
Old 05-03-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder if 'Crazy Mary', the homeless chick who roamed around Rush & Division, is still around. When I was in my early 20's, I'd see her at least once a month.

She used to scream at passers-by for money, hoping the scare tactic worked. If not, she'd follow you to wherever you were going (screaming all the way), lift her shirt, and then press her filthy flapjack tit up against the window and lick the glass from the outside. What a piece of work.
Old 05-03-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is that guy in the loop the same as "Sandwichboard/Conspiracy/God Man" on the Mag Mile? You know, the guy with the sandwichboard covered in nonsense and a megaphone trudging slowly back and forth?
Old 05-03-05, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

:nopics:
Old 05-03-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Is that guy in the loop the same as "Sandwichboard/Conspiracy/God Man" on the Mag Mile? You know, the guy with the sandwichboard covered in nonsense and a megaphone trudging slowly back and forth?
Different guys. The guy on State/Washington is ranting about Jesus, and the guy on the Mag Mile is ranting about the Soviets.
Old 05-03-05, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Richard M. Daley.

Old 05-03-05, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JasonF
Different guys. The guy on State/Washington is ranting about Jesus, and the guy on the Mag Mile is ranting about the Soviets.
Ah, yes, those Red bastards.

The thing that cracks me up about Soviet guy is the wierd "frog in his throat" voice he has...sort of nasally and Smeagol-y. Sonds really funny when amplified.

Another one:
Street Wise Guy can be found just north of the Water Tower. He keeps up a nice patter of scat-sounding noises (not the poop variety, the other scat) combined with mumbling and then finally "Street Wiiiiiiise!".
Old 05-03-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Does anyone else know the "Happy Day! Hi There!" lady who sells Streetwise outside the Walgreens on Broadway and Waveland?
Old 05-03-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

There are soooo many of these "street people" (luckily not all of them are nutjobs).

I see the State/Washington guy all the time. He's annoying. Smoking will send you to hell. Drinking will send you to hell. Hell is ba-yad. . . . hes the most professional with his microphone and speaker set up.

I like "disco dancing for dollars guy" who is the grad student. He's fun to watch. I can't imagine paying for grad school that way thouch - can't imagine you make much money. But he's got the right clothes and the right attitude to get as much as possible.

I like that "band" of 5-7 guys that goes around but they only seem to play 2 or 3 different songs. I've seen them all over the loop/mag mile area.

Then theres the sandwich board guy on state street with something about how all federal workers should have (did have?) dna tests to determine their relationship to soemthing (I dont' remember what/who). He looks really messed up.

There's also a guy who often stands by the lake el exit (potbellys) who says the govt gave him drugs and an implant and now they are tracking him with satelites. I think he says it's the IRS that did this to him. And we should worry that it will be done to all of us.

Also "accordion guy" who I've seen at state/lake and wabash/washington(?). He doesn't play too many different "songs" - seems just kindof made up - can't identify any real tune most of the time.

And the "Hi guy" who just says hi to everyone. He rides around on his bike, wears all yellow with a big smiley face shirt.

Music guy at the airport at the connection to the AA terminal (3?) from the els end - he seems to always be there playing hymns and gospel type music.

"Got my legs amputed in vietnam guy" who rides his wheelchair up and down michigan avenue. Though I have to say that he doesnt' look old enough to have been in Vietnam.

Silver lame and mime frozen people are also often on Michigan avenue. Every now and then I'll also see some magician type guy there on a stand.

Last edited by datagirl7; 05-03-05 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-03-05, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

datagirl7 ... where do you work?
Old 05-03-05, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JasonF
Does anyone else know the "Happy Day! Hi There!" lady who sells Streetwise outside the Walgreens on Broadway and Waveland?
Glad I'm not the only one noticing all these nutjobs. I don't go to that Walgreens, but there is a guy up on the north end of MagMile that is holding a 'Hi Guy' sign. (propeller hat, "Hi guy" sign is held way over his head on a stick) I think he is hawking his website higuy.com or something.
Old 05-03-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not like the good old days, when most of the whackos and self-proclaimed prophets had a place to call their own - Bughouse Square on the Near North side, in front of the Newberry Library:

http://www.newberry.org/nl/general/Bughouse.html
Old 05-03-05, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by datagirl7
And the "Hi guy" who just says hi to everyone. He rides around on his bike, wears all yellow with a big smiley face shirt.
http://www.geocities.com/himatti/higuystar.jpg
Old 05-03-05, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by datagirl7
I live in the same suburb as him, and see him on the train all the time. He seems like a nice guy.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.