Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Man finds finger in his ice cream

Old 05-03-05, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't see a thread for this.....

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/05/02/cus....ap/index.html

WILMINGTON, North Carolina (AP) -- A man who ordered a pint of frozen chocolate custard in a dessert shop got a nasty surprise inside -- a piece of severed finger lost by an employee in an accident.

Unlike a recent incident at a Wendy's restaurant in California, no questions of truth have been raised about the finger served up to go at Kohl's Frozen Custard and found later at home by Clarence Stowers.

Officials from the state departments of agriculture and labor went to the shop Monday, and the owner confirmed one of his employees lost part of a finger in an accident with a food-processing machine.

Wilmington television station WWAY reported that Stowers found the finger in frozen custard he purchased Sunday night.

Stowers, who did not immediately return calls Monday from The Associated Press, told the station: "I thought it was candy because they put candy in your ice cream ... to make it a treat. So I said, 'OK, well, I'll just put it in my mouth and get the ice cream off of it and see what it is.'"

Stowers said he spit the object out, but still couldn't identify it. So he went to his kitchen, rinsed it off with water -- and "just started screaming."

Stowers said he planned to contact a lawyer.

Shop owner Craig Thomas said the employee who lost the finger had dropped a bucket while working with a machine that dispenses the custard. He tried to catch the bucket when the accident occurred.

Thomas told WWAY that several employees tried to help the injured worker, and that a drive-thru window attendant apparently scooped custard from the bucket into a pint before being told what had happened.

Joe Reardon of the Agriculture Department's food and drug division said state officials closed the shop while the food processing equipment involved in the accident was cleaned and sanitized.

In March, a Las Vegas woman claimed she bit down on a 1 1/2 inch-long finger fragment while dining with her family at a Wendy's restaurant in San Jose, California.

Investigators have since called her claim a hoax and charged her last month with attempted grand theft related to millions in dollars of financial losses Wendy's has suffered since news of her claim broke.
Old 05-03-05, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Is it just me or is there like a finger-loss epidemic going on this country? Extrapolate and in 5 years we can all only count to 7.
Old 05-03-05, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wanna see more toes in my Mud Pie ice cream.
Old 05-03-05, 08:07 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It would have been hilarious if the finger was found in a pint of Cherry Garcia.

ask a deadhead if you don't get that
Old 05-03-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just read this story. Too bad that it is actually true in this case, both for the worker and the customer.
Old 05-03-05, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wonder how "traumatized" the guy is...............what do you think.............20-30 million worth......
Old 05-03-05, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

What is wrong with these places? I worked in restaurants for 12 years. If anyone cut themself, any food in the vicinity was thown away. No question. And we aren't even talking about whole fingers here.

Managers trying to save money.
Old 05-03-05, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
What is wrong with these places? I worked in restaurants for 12 years. If anyone cut themself, any food in the vicinity was thown away. No question. And we aren't even talking about whole fingers here.

Well, not exactly:

"Thomas told WWAY that several employees tried to help the injured worker, and that a drive-thru window attendant apparently scooped custard from the bucket into a pint before being told what had happened."
Old 05-03-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
I wonder how "traumatized" the guy is...............what do you think.............20-30 million worth......
I was thinking the same thing.
Old 05-03-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin

I was at Subway last year and there was a new girl making my sandwich and she nicked herself with the knife blade while cutting the bread. It barely even penetrated the plastic glove, but they took her in the back room, collected all the knives in the area, threw away all the food that was uncovered in the area and scrubbed down the cutting board with disinfectant. It held up the line for about 10 minutes. I thought it was overkill, but at least they have a procedure and they are extremely thorough.
Old 05-03-05, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Quatermass
I was at Subway last year and there was a new girl making my sandwich and she nicked herself with the knife blade while cutting the bread. It barely even penetrated the plastic glove, but they took her in the back room, collected all the knives in the area, threw away all the food that was uncovered in the area and scrubbed down the cutting board with disinfectant. It held up the line for about 10 minutes. I thought it was overkill, but at least they have a procedure and they are extremely thorough.

to Subway. All places should be that thorough.
Old 05-03-05, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

"I thought it was candy because they put candy in your ice cream ... to make it a treat. So I said, 'OK, well, I'll just put it in my mouth and get the ice cream off of it and see what it is.'"
Stowers said he spit the object out, but still couldn't identify it. So he went to his kitchen, rinsed it off with water -- and "just started screaming."
I have to admit that I'm a little traumatized just reading that.
Old 05-03-05, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
...a pint of frozen chocolate custard
I find this misleading thread title an affront to all the fine ice cream-producing citizens of America.
Old 05-03-05, 11:20 AM
Moderator Emeritus

I hope it's not Nathan's or Pacey's.
Old 05-03-05, 11:41 AM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nasty shit
Old 05-03-05, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
Stowers, who did not immediately return calls Monday from The Associated Press, told the station: "I thought it was candy because they put candy in your ice cream ... to make it a treat. So I said, 'OK, well, I'll just put it in my mouth and get the ice cream off of it and see what it is.'"

I don't care what anyone says...if that happened to me, I'd sue the hell out of someone. Someone would pay for feeding me a severed finger ice cream treat.
Old 05-03-05, 12:21 PM
Super Moderator

Well, not exactly:

"Thomas told WWAY that several employees tried to help the injured worker, and that a drive-thru window attendant apparently scooped custard from the bucket into a pint before being told what had happened."
Yes but... if someone severs a finger in a place like that, don't you think you would be aware? Blood? How could everyone there not know?
Old 05-03-05, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk God

We had a similar incident at a place I work at for some extra cash. An assistant manager slipped on a no slip mat (ironic isn't it) and when he put his hands out to catch himself on a counter, he landed his hand right across the metal cerrated edge of those tin foil boxes. Sliced his hand all to shit. Of course when it happened, he freaked out, swung his hand around, and it flinged blood all over some food. We tossed everything, cleaned up and started anew, about 15 minutes later. You never can be too careful w/ biohazard stuff.
Old 05-03-05, 12:35 PM

I agree....if it was me..I'd be getting atleast the 50,000 that you would get for trying to eat a finger on fear factor!?
Old 05-03-05, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RandyC
Yes but... if someone severs a finger in a place like that, don't you think you would be aware? Blood? How could everyone there not know?
I wouldn't know as I've never worked at a place like that, but if it was me, It would be priority # 1 to find my damn finger for surgical re-attachment.....
Old 05-03-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It barely even penetrated the plastic glove, but they took her in the back room,
Can somebody speculate on what they did to her in the "back room"?
Old 05-03-05, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Worth 20-30 million? I am not sure about that, but probably worth after what the lawyer fees and taxes would be, so I would say HELL YAH. There was no excuse for that finger to go out in to the public. The employee must have reported the accident, and the company just decided to let the frozen custard ship out rather than recalling all the cartons that employee was responsible for. They need to pay, and it has to be enough it sends a message not only to that company but any other company.

I would say that the manager on duty who over looked the accident should be fired as well.
Old 05-03-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
I find this misleading thread title an affront to all the fine ice cream-producing citizens of America.
I figured putting custard in the title would be...well....different
Old 05-03-05, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"Hey Mark, you wouldn't have happened to see a finger lying around anywhere, would you? I kinda lost one a few hours ago by the custard."

"Oh really? Nope, haven't seen it. I haven't heard anything about it. You doing ok?"

"Yeah, it's just a small scratch, no biggie."
Old 05-03-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

That sounds like a good, round finger.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.