Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Your biggest work-related screwup

Old 05-02-05, 04:48 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Legend
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NYC
Posts: 17,018
Your biggest work-related screwup

So I programmed a pretty prominent survey for my organization that 4200 people responded to. It has radio button responses, checkbox responses, short answer to "Other" answers in the previous two, and long answers. There were only 4 short answer options throughout the survey, but I just found out today that I fucked up and managed to not capture any of the text they entered. Oops! My bad!

So what's your biggest work-related fuckup?
Breakfast with Girls is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 04:50 PM
  #2  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,893
I once picked up my boss and threw him into a shelving unit in our warehouse.


That was pretty much a job ender.
Green Jello is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 04:51 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk God
 
kvrdave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Pacific NW
Posts: 86,200
I discovered DVDTalk.
kvrdave is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 04:53 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Chicago, IL
Posts: 17,204
Originally Posted by kvrdave
I discovered DVDTalk.
Did your manager yell at you?
ChiTownAbs, Inc is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 05:02 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Ft. Lauderdale
Posts: 1,001
I was working for Chili's restaurant at the time. The cooks were usually pretty good about turning off all the equipment so I got into the habit of not checking them before I left for the night. Then one night around 2am I got a call from the store, which was really strange because I was the one closing that night. It was my GM telling me one of the fryers was left on and caused a fire. It set off the Ansul system, which sprays tons of chemicals to help put out the fire. I had to go in, clean every dish due to the chemical residue and clean the whole cooks line. We could not open the next day without the health inspector coming in. Also, the fire department had to break through the glass to get in. Suprisingly, I didn't get in any trouble.
hippie68 is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 05:06 PM
  #6  
Banned
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 2,893
Last month, I was happily working at my job at Wendys making the days pot of chili when...
Green Jello is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 05:20 PM
  #7  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Sep 1999
Posts: 6,131
The headline was something like "Suspected terrorists blow themselves up as police ready to raid." I changed it to "Suspected terrorists blow themselves up before police raid" ... except I accidentally left out "up." It got on Leno's Headlines.
kenny79 is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 05:26 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
Posts: 3,382
I worked with a girl in the DAs office. She was from Ivory Coast. One day she was eating a chicken drumstick with a vengeance and she got to where there was nothing on the drumstick but waste (although, IMO the entire drumstick is waste). Anyway, the round knob-socket-thing on the end with clearish-white coloring was dangling from her drumstick. She took it off with her hand and pitched it into her mouth EEEWWW it was so gross to hear her crunch on that damn thing and work it into bits and pieces. I made a rather loud comment about how gross that was and I was later let go because I was not sensitive enough. I hated the job anyway and was only there for about one week. It was just after 9/11 and I think some of my rather abrasive comments on what the US reaction should be formed the base for my being considered insensitive and the drumstick comment sealed the deal.

Last week I did use the word "bitchslap" concerning what I did to this piece of shit personal injury attorney in court that day in front of others...thought I would have heard something from that one and didn't. Decided "bitchslap" would never be part of my office vocabulary because I was quite worried about it.

Last edited by ukywyldcat; 05-02-05 at 05:30 PM.
ukywyldcat is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 05:52 PM
  #9  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Numanoid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Down in 'The Park'
Posts: 27,882
Originally Posted by ukywyldcat
Anyway, the round knob-socket-thing on the end with clearish-white coloring was dangling from her drumstick. She took it off with her hand and pitched it into her mouth EEEWWW it was so gross to hear her crunch on that damn thing and work it into bits and pieces.
In Japan, restaurants actually bread that part, deep fry it, and sell them as appetizers.
Numanoid is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 06:13 PM
  #10  
Video Gamer Reviewers
 
Join Date: May 2000
Posts: 4,162
I can't tell you.
jrobinson is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 06:44 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Th0r S1mpson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 36,443
Wow, mine is pretty similar. I created a survey for a company that was given to a lot of people. One of the questions was a multiple choice radio button response, but because I copy-pasted the answers then changed them, and forgot to change the response values, every answer for that question was stored with the same response. We had to notify the company of this after the fact when we were compiling the results, and they actually weren't very upset. It wasn't a very important question apparently (something to the effect of "job title" where they ended up not caring). I think we gave them some money back, but that's not my department. I apologized profusely to the others involved and I never heard anything further about it.

Oh yeah, and I always triple-check when I copy/paste now.
Th0r S1mpson is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 06:49 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Ruler
 
General Zod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Santa Clarita, CA
Posts: 21,141
I was in charge of about 20 unix workstations that all talked to a server. The workstations were all running VERY low on disk space and I was told to figure out a way to clear up the disk space, even though there just wasn't any room! So, I discovered I could actually link the operating systems files to a share on the server and the machine would continue running just fine! I did it on all 20 machines and I was able to delete the operating system on all 20.. what a space saver!! And they all ran great! Until the power outage...
General Zod is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 07:22 PM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,935
Fairly minor stuff... one time I ran an effect on the air and instead of going to the correct video, I accidentally put another network on the air (some sporting event we were watching on NBC ended up on CNN for a few seconds).
atlantamoi is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 07:29 PM
  #14  
DVD Talk Gold Edition
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Exit 10, NJ
Posts: 2,753
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Fairly minor stuff... one time I ran an effect on the air and instead of going to the correct video, I accidentally put another network on the air (some sporting event we were watching on NBC ended up on CNN for a few seconds).
You put the competition feed on air and you still have your job?
garolo is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 07:32 PM
  #15  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Somewhere between Heaven and Hell
Posts: 29,951
It wasn't really my fault, but...

As I was pretty green to the pr0n industry, I had no idea what can and cannot be included in a video. So there I am, doing a rough edit for a gonzo title where the girls go out and frolic on a crowded beach before heading back to the bungalow to get their groove on. I make sure no one's face outside of the actors can be seen (make sure their heads are turned away from camera, or they're far enough in the distance not to be recognizable, etc.) I ask my boss to look at the edit. "Nah, we trust you." I really would feel comfortable if you looked it over before we master it. "nah, no need. We know you do good work. So I take it to get mastered and then it's off to the distributor. It hits the street a couple days later. A week goes by and they call me up. "Dude, there are kids in the background." Yeah, so what, you can't recognize who they are, they never face the camera. "Dude, there can't be any kids in the video at all. Now we have to recall all of those tapes and it's gonna cost around $20K." Well, I asked you twice to look at the rough cut and you refused. Who's fault is that? "Well, we're gonna have to fire you." Cool, just send me my last check. Laters.... Luckily, it wasn't a full time job and I was ready to leave anyways.
devilshalo is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 07:36 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 7,935
Originally Posted by garolo
You put the competition feed on air and you still have your job?
If people here were fired for something like that then half the staff would be gone. I don't know if you've worked in a 24-hour network-type situation, but you'd probably be surprised how many mistakes make air. I have to write-up mistakes after each half hour show I direct for Headline News and there aren't many that go by I don't have to write something up (from a bad mic on air, a name misspelled or someone effecting to the wrong source). Not saying it's condoned, but it happens ALL the time.

Although, yeah, putting another network on air is a bit drastic
atlantamoi is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 07:41 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Region 1
Posts: 16,290
From last week. I was suppose to expand 50GB for one of the most important file server because we are out of disk space. Well, I expanded the wrong drive and I can't take it back. Luckily, my co-worker was able to find another 30GB from the EMC SAN to cover my ass.

Last year, I was do a domain cleanup in preparation for AD. I ran the VB scripts to delete any nodes older than 45 days with Change Management notification. Well, the next day, about 11 PCs was unable to login to the network. Desktop support staffs had to rejoin the domain for those PCs.
zuffy is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 08:11 PM
  #18  
Mod Emeritus
 
Gallant Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 15,325
Originally Posted by atlantamoi
If people here were fired for something like that then half the staff would be gone. I don't know if you've worked in a 24-hour network-type situation, but you'd probably be surprised how many mistakes make air. I have to write-up mistakes after each half hour show I direct for Headline News and there aren't many that go by I don't have to write something up (from a bad mic on air, a name misspelled or someone effecting to the wrong source). Not saying it's condoned, but it happens ALL the time.

Although, yeah, putting another network on air is a bit drastic
Hogwash! Fox News has never made a single mistake in its 20 years of 24 hour existance.
Gallant Pig is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 08:13 PM
  #19  
Mod Emeritus
 
Gallant Pig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 15,325
Originally Posted by devilshalo
It wasn't really my fault, but...

As I was pretty green to the pr0n industry, I had no idea what can and cannot be included in a video. So there I am, doing a rough edit for a gonzo title where the girls go out and frolic on a crowded beach before heading back to the bungalow to get their groove on. I make sure no one's face outside of the actors can be seen (make sure their heads are turned away from camera, or they're far enough in the distance not to be recognizable, etc.) I ask my boss to look at the edit. "Nah, we trust you." I really would feel comfortable if you looked it over before we master it. "nah, no need. We know you do good work. So I take it to get mastered and then it's off to the distributor. It hits the street a couple days later. A week goes by and they call me up. "Dude, there are kids in the background." Yeah, so what, you can't recognize who they are, they never face the camera. "Dude, there can't be any kids in the video at all. Now we have to recall all of those tapes and it's gonna cost around $20K." Well, I asked you twice to look at the rough cut and you refused. Who's fault is that? "Well, we're gonna have to fire you." Cool, just send me my last check. Laters.... Luckily, it wasn't a full time job and I was ready to leave anyways.

I believe Damn_Skippy has made a small fortune selling that tape that leaked out as "[email protected]@K OOP RARE MISTAKE PORN WITH KIDS IN BACKGROUND" on Ebay. Now we know the full story.
Gallant Pig is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 09:06 PM
  #20  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: College Station, TX
Posts: 6,223
I'm about to do a AD migration in a few weeks. Hopefully all goes well or I will be posting in this thread.

I've done some stupid things like deleting files, but nothing that couldn't be fixed within a few hours.
BigDave is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 09:29 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Platinum Edition
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 3,236
Almost screwup:

I was working on results reporting for a state-sponsored Olympic-style competition with about 15,000 athletes. The local paper (circulation in excess of 500,000) printed the previous days winning scores every day. Well, we had some old "test" data in the system. I managed to catch and remove the winning scores for the "Dwarf Toss" just before sending the results out.
Pistol Pete is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 09:54 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Legend
 
calhoun07's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 14,402
I caused my place of work (my part time job) to have to incur $3000.00 in credits because I miskeyed a part number for something I was trying to ring up by hand.
calhoun07 is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 10:04 PM
  #23  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Arizona, USA
Posts: 23,460
I worked at a local video rental store years ago and was scheduled to open it... one day I slept in and a co-worker drove by the store noticing it wasn't open yet and called me. I opened it like 2 and a half hours late... there were heaps and heaps of videos piled up inside the door that people stuffed into the night drop. I'm surprised I wasn't written up or fired.
Trigger is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 10:36 PM
  #24  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 21,563
We were filling a drug for an FDA New Drug Application (NDA). Everything had to be perfect, three times in a row, for the NDA. This was a new process, with new technical aspects, and it had been shoehorned into the production schedule. Some of the guys on the filling line worked 24+ hours straight. I was pretty sleep-deprived myself. So here I am, by myself in the basement, with a chamber full of $1.5M worth of product (and a customer's future), running a cycle entirely using manual overrides.

The idea was to carefully pull a vacuum, refill the chamber with nitrogen, and repeat until all the oxygen was gone. The drug broke down rapidly in the presence of oxygen, and it had to be removed before the vials were capped.

You know what's coming next, right? I got through 95% of the cycle without a problem. Then I stutter-clicked on the 'advance segment' button, it went one too far, a valve opened to the outside, and the chamber filled with air.

We managed to salvage the drug by repeating the cycle, and no harm was done (except to the NDA). I got a week's suspension, which was pleasant because I had been working about 28 days a month.
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 10:49 PM
  #25  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,145
Double clicked on Melissa, and I don't mean a girl.

Luckly, the company had a tape backup and it took about five minutes to get the network back up.
Hiro11 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.