Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Interviewing with a former employer

Old 05-02-05, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Interviewing with a former employer

Tomorrow I am interviewing with the same place I left to take my current position. I left on good terms (or so I think). They selected me for an interview so I guess that's a good sign.

My previous job sucked and paid like crap - that's why I left. Well a big reason I left. How do I put that politely in the interview?

Since then, they raised the salary scales significantly and the job would be slightly different than what I did before.

One of the reasons I am trying to get back to my previous employer is their tuition reimbursement. Its FREE for myself and my family. Do I say that?

I don't want to appear that I came groveling back. I am happy in my current job but this new position is intriguing enough for me to apply.

The first interview is a PHONE interview. Weird.
Old 05-02-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk God

Sounds like your former employer adjusted to the free market for labor and as a 'seller' in your case, equilibrium was achieved. Fancy that.
Old 05-02-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

On leaving, simply state that you went to a job that paid more and was more challenging. Don't say anything about the previous job. If they have more than two brain cells, they should get the message that the position you were in previously sucked.
Old 05-02-05, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Both good points.
Old 05-02-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Just don't mention "Your Aim Is True".
Old 05-02-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114
Tomorrow I am interviewing with the same place I left to take my current position. I left on good terms (or so I think). They selected me for an interview so I guess that's a good sign.

My previous job sucked and paid like crap - that's why I left. Well a big reason I left. How do I put that politely in the interview?

Since then, they raised the salary scales significantly and the job would be slightly different than what I did before.

One of the reasons I am trying to get back to my previous employer is their tuition reimbursement. Its FREE for myself and my family. Do I say that?

I don't want to appear that I came groveling back. I am happy in my current job but this new position is intriguing enough for me to apply.

The first interview is a PHONE interview. Weird.
Seems pretty clear to me... the answer is to continue to be the person you have been. If you've been an oportunistic worm, then proceed along that path. If you've been a person of integrity, proceed along THAT one.
Old 05-02-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer
Seems pretty clear to me... the answer is to continue to be the person you have been. If you've been an oportunistic worm, then proceed along that path. If you've been a person of integrity, proceed along THAT one.
I suppose a little of both. I left for more money (opportunistic worm) but also left to attain more skills (integrity).

and wendersfan made me miss academia.
Old 05-02-05, 06:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I would be honest and tell them that the job sucked and the pay did, too but I would find a more PC way to put it.

Best of luck to you.
Old 05-02-05, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The job you left for provided a good opportunity for personal growth, that you didn't think you would find in your old job.

The new job sounds very interesting and potentially offers new challenges and opportunity for growth.

That's your story. Stick to it. The free tuition never entered your mind.

If you left on reasonable good terms, and they hadn't done much career planning for you (most firms don't) this story will be OK.
Old 05-02-05, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by OldDude
The job you left for provided a good opportunity for personal growth, that you didn't think you would find in your old job.

The new job sounds very interesting and potentially offers new challenges and opportunity for growth.

That's your story. Stick to it. The free tuition never entered your mind.

If you left on reasonable good terms, and they hadn't done much career planning for you (most firms don't) this story will be OK.
I agree, you want to focus on what you can do for them, not what they can do for you!

It is ok to say you took another job for opportunity and growth, and you can also say, you now you have even more to offer (give examples).

And it is worth repeating, don't say you are returning for a benefit.
Old 05-03-05, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Finished up the interview. It went really well. It helps having an immediate rapport with the people interviewing you. I didn't mention money or benefits. They never asked me why I left but they did ask me why I want to come back.
Old 05-03-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd be careful about the tuition thing. It might make it seem that you just want them to finance your (or your family's) education, then move on to bigger and better things.

Sounds like you think that you had a good phone interview, so hope all goes well.
Old 05-03-05, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by CRM114
and wendersfan made me miss academia.
Old 05-03-05, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

In my company we had more than a few people come back to us after leaving. In a few cases they were laid off and hired back within a few weeks or months. In others they left during the bubble and came back after it burst.

My advice is if you come back, do so for a while. One guy worked for us, left, came back, moved through a few jobs and left again because he was bored. Tried to come back for another job and wasn't hired because they didn't want him getting bored and leaving again.