Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Firefighter in Buffalo talks for the first time in 10 years

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-02-05, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

wgrz.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=28180
Buffalo Firefighter Speaks For First Time In Nearly Ten Years

Buffalo firefighter Donald Herbert spoke to family members for the first time in nearly a decade. Herbert has been in a brain-damaged state since suffering severe injuries while fighting a fire in December of 1995.

Herbert was trapped in a building after a roof collapsed on him while fighting the fire.

Herbert has been at Father Baker Manor nursing home for the past several years, but relatives say over the weekend he started talking again and his memory returned.

Friends and former colleagues say he talked with his family and with former co-workers.

Family members are holding a news conference at noon. Stay with WGRZ.com for updates.
they said on the radio that he was looking out a window and suddenly said he wanted to talk to his wife. So the nursing home people got a phone and called her. Said he was having in depth conversations for hours.
Old 05-02-05, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

What an awesome story!

Cynical question below. Please do not highlight if you don't want to spoil the pure joy of the story of Mr. Herbert's recovery.
Spoiler:
So how long before the cult of Schiavo starts arguing that this case proves Terri Schiavo shouldn't have been taken off the feeding tube, totally ignoring the fact that Mr. Herbert's injuries were completely different from Ms. Schiavo's injuries? I give it 36 hours at most.
Old 05-02-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

what do you think he said? (i was trying to think of something funny, but nothing came to mind)
Old 05-02-05, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
what do you think he said? (i was trying to think of something funny, but nothing came to mind)

Old 05-02-05, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Originally Posted by JasonF
What an awesome story!

Cynical question below. Please do not highlight if you don't want to spoil the pure joy of the story of Mr. Herbert's recovery.
Spoiler:
So how long before the cult of Schiavo starts arguing that this case proves Terri Schiavo shouldn't have been taken off the feeding tube, totally ignoring the fact that Mr. Herbert's injuries were completely different from Ms. Schiavo's injuries? I give it 36 hours at most.
they already are at the other forum I posted this at.
Old 05-02-05, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
"Mmmm, Juicy Fruit."
Old 05-02-05, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 05-02-05, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Boscoe!!
Old 05-02-05, 04:14 PM
Suspended

JasonF,

One simple way to take the fizzle out of pro-life extending people, is to compare the brain scans of Terri and this firefighter.
Old 05-02-05, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mopower
Boscoe!!

Ahhhhh, you son of a bitch!!!!

Old 05-02-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If his unpleasant wounding has in some way enlightened the rest of you, as to the grim finish below the glossy venire of criminal life and inspired you to change your ways, then his injuries carry with it an inherent nobility; and a supreme glory. We should all be so fortunate. You say poor Toby...I say poor us.
Old 05-02-05, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
JasonF,

One simple way to take the fizzle out of pro-life extending people, is to compare the brain scans of Terri and this firefighter.
Silly DVD Polizei,

The Bible doesn't say anything about brain scan technology .
Old 05-02-05, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Reminds me of this old joke:

A private nurse cared for a disable man who couldn't care for himself and hadn't spoken in a decade. Every day for lunch she would bring a bowl of soup to him for his meal which he would eat in silence.

One day she brought him the soup and he ate a spoonful and said 'This soup's cold.' The nurse was shocked and got very excited as she exclaimed what a miracle it was that he had spoken. She asked him what had inspired him to regain the ability to speak. He looked at her casually and said 'Up to now the soup has been okay.'
Old 05-02-05, 06:51 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by Brain Stew
Silly DVD Polizei,

The Bible doesn't say anything about brain scan technology .
Good Biblical point.