Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

How do i get a T-shirt made?

Old 05-02-05, 02:59 PM
Banned

How do i get a T-shirt made?

OK so i need to make a T-shirt for a friend and want to have a specific picture and saying put on it. How does one do that? I know I'm in NYC and I should be able to just find a place but I want to make sure they can print it with the picture plus the design.

Plus I have to print it on a Tshirt that's XXL.
Old 05-02-05, 03:00 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
http://www.cafepress.com/cp/customiz...lear=true&no=2
Old 05-02-05, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

some places may give you a hassle if it is a copyrighted pic
Old 05-02-05, 03:40 PM
Banned

Well...does one bring in a file on a disc with the entire picture/words on it to a store?

Not only does it have a copywrighted image but also a "curse" word on it. But it's NYC so I'm assuming I could get a place to do it for me. Just might take a bit of time.
Old 05-02-05, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Three little words: "Photo transfer paper"
Old 05-02-05, 08:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

to do it in a shop you will probalbly pay a set up fee. I looked into doing it for a softball team once, and the set up fee was $150 plus a per shirt fee. Do the transfer paper thing.
Old 05-02-05, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mrs Danger has a Cafe Press shop and she's reasonably happy with them. Her chief complaint is the reproduction image quality is variable, which will naturally irritate an artist. Text only should be good.

She's found that her images are acceptable so long as they don't show genitalia, and had to draw on bikini bottoms on the pictures. Copyrighted images are out, so you can't use cartoon characters (or real people) owned by someone else. They don't seem to have a problem with "bad words."

A friend who works with printers says that they all hate cafepress because it's taking their business. Like uli2000 says, setup costs are exhorbitant.

Edited to add: they use dye sublimation printing so they can only print on white shirts.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 05-02-05 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-02-05, 09:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a shop with cafepress.com and won't order another shirt from them ever. I think it's horrible quality, just a glorified iron on that looks trashy when you wash it.

www.worth1000.com doesn't allow you to set up a shop, but whatever process they use to make their shirts is the best I have seen for custom made shirts. If you can use whatever process they use, that would be the best thing. I wish cafepress.com would use whatever process worth1000.com uses.
Old 05-02-05, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't see any T-shirts at worth1000. Just photoshops.
Old 05-03-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I don't see any T-shirts at worth1000. Just photoshops.
They have a store (at least when I visted) where you can order various products of the photoshopped images, including t-shirts. I ordered a couple movie poster parody ones that I liked, and was impressed with the quality of shirts. It would rather suck if they did away with that.

EDIT...found this in the FAQ...
What is Worth1000 merchandise?
Basically almost every single image on the site is available for printing on t-shirts, puzzles, mousepads, calendars, glossy prints, greeting cards, posters, mugs and much, much more.

You can easily choose what kind of print you'd like to have made from any number of images, edit your shopping cart, checkout securely, and have the items shipped to you in a single business day.
and...

Why are their different products available for different images - and no products available for some images?
Because of the varying resolution sizes, image formats and/or because some artists would prefer that their images not be available on merchandise.

Basically, the larger the image the artist uploads, the higher the quality. As we will only allow images of a very high quality to be sold, the larger products will not be available for lower resolution images.

If an image doesn't have any products available and seems to be of a very high resolution, the artist most probably didn't want it to be resold.
So I guess products are not available for every image.
Old 05-03-05, 09:13 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
Three little words: "Photo transfer paper"

I'm thinking this is my best bet. How's the quality?