Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Whats the deal w/ Verizon phones?

Old 05-02-05, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Whats the deal w/ Verizon phones?

I'vem always had Cingular in the past, and I was able to switch to a new phone by simply taking out my sim card and putting it in the new phone.

Now I have Verizon and want a new phone. I took the back off (battery too) and didn't see any sim card. How can I switch my phone? Do I have to go to a Verizon store?
Old 05-02-05, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Verizon is not GSM - no Sim card.
you would have to buy a whole new phone from the verizon store
Old 05-02-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

From cnet's cell-phone roundup:

"Sprint and Verizon are the major CDMA carriers, while AT&T Wireless, Cingular, and T-Mobile use GSM. Nextel has its own technology, called iDEN, while smaller and regional carriers such as Virgin Mobile, U.S. Cellular, MetroPCS, and Alltel use CDMA."

CDMA network = bigger in the US, no Sim card
GSA network = bigger internationally, Sim card
Old 05-02-05, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Verizon's cell phone service is awesome. Their "service" sucks, however. I'm very happy with my plan and coverage, but very saddened by the flexibility when it comes to technology.
Old 05-02-05, 02:28 PM
Hud

I've got nothing but good things to say about Verizon. The more I hear other people talk about their providers, the more I'm sold on Verizon.
Old 05-02-05, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Verizon's the only service I've ever had. Picked up one of their 1 cent phones in 98', and have upgraded several times since. Never have had a problem. None of the phones I've had have been really cutting edge, but as a casual cell-phone user they do the job just fine for me.
Old 05-02-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Hud
I've got nothing but good things to say about Verizon. The more I hear other people talk about their providers, the more I'm sold on Verizon.

Same here. I've been a customer of almost all of the carriers at one point or another and Verizon is far superior (been with Verizon for about 2 years) to the rest.
Old 05-02-05, 03:23 PM

For the CDMA carriers you'll need to have the ESN number handy. Just go to your local store or call them up and they'll ask for the ESN and other info and then they'll make the switch in their systems. Should take 1-2 hours for the change to occur although when I was with Sprint it usually happened quicker.

I've been on AT&T/Cingular and can't imagine going back to a non-Sim card service. It's just too easy and I haven't had to re-enter all my contacts yet.
Old 05-02-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Hud
Same here, for the most part. The only things that have irked me are downloading ringtones, pictures etc. With many providers you can just download them, and there is a bunch of stuff you can get free. With Verizon you need the Get-it-now service and they chrge you through the yin yang. But that's more of a gimmick any way. Other than the week I spent trying to get cool ringtones and pictures on my phone, I've had nothing but good experiences.
Old 05-02-05, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
The only things that have irked me are downloading ringtones, pictures etc. With many providers you can just download them, and there is a bunch of stuff you can get free. With Verizon you need the Get-it-now service and they chrge you through the yin yang.
Might sound dumb, but as someone who looks forward to customizing their first cell phone--whenever I finally get it--that sounds like another deciding factor.

Are only the GSM lines easy to download free media and/or create your own? Last thing I want is to get stuck with some gimmicky "napster-like" service for some stupid ringtones, and getting blocked out of doing my own tones/pictures.

Last edited by adamblast; 05-02-05 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-02-05, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Same here, for the most part. The only things that have irked me are downloading ringtones, pictures etc. With many providers you can just download them, and there is a bunch of stuff you can get free. With Verizon you need the Get-it-now service and they chrge you through the yin yang. But that's more of a gimmick any way. Other than the week I spent trying to get cool ringtones and pictures on my phone, I've had nothing but good experiences.
This is true, however there are legal ways around this. You can download BITPIM and buy a cable from radio shack and upload as much ringtones and pictures as you want to your phone and it won't cost you a dime - and Verizon doesn't care. It would be nice for them to just give you this ability as a perk for buying one of their phones though.
Old 05-02-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My only problem with my Verizon service (and I'm sure it's not their fault) is that I live literally a mile from a cell tower and in my basement I get 1 bar at most. And that's where I spend the majority of my time so it's just so annoying when someone calls to either go upstairs (where i still get only 2-3 bars) or worry the entire conversation about the call dropping.