Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

So I went on a ridealong with the local Police Department

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 05-01-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My best friend is a county cop and has been after me for awhile to go on a ridealong with him. I won't go into details of what happened but FiveO and DVDPolizi can't probably confirm. Man they have to put up with so much BS. We actually only got three calls all night but just traffic kept us busy for the majority of time. It's amazing just how many people just break traffic laws without thought.

Anyway if anyone hasn't done this I'd have to recommend giving this a shot. Just about all departments participate in a ridealong program and I honestly have to say I have a new appreciation for how difficult it is to be a cop
Old 05-01-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My wife is a 911 dispatcher, and her department does ride-alongs fairly frequently. I've been on a non-voluntary ride-along, so I don't really want to go again.
Old 05-01-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Non-voluntary? What was that about?
Old 05-01-05, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I agree. I did an internship with the local PD for college, and the amount of BS and disrespect they had to put up with was astounding. It was interesting, I rode with different officers, and everybody had their own way of doing the job; some ways were good-but-different, other ways were not. One officer I rode with said "You don't need to be a cop" when I locked my door when we were driving slowly through Crackville [on these doors, they could open from the inside the same if they were locked or not.] I thought, as biased as the world is against cops, why not take every [legal] advantage you can? But she played 'tough', she had other issues as well.
This is one of those things 'everyone' should do, to see what it's like.

Non-voluntary? As in, "Please get in the car, sir"?
Old 05-01-05, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They never tell me to "Please get in the car, sir." It's always, "Watch your head (shove)."

I'm a human being.
Old 05-01-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh I will say one of the calls we got was a civil issue call between two disgruntled neighbors. Just listening to their BS was unbelieveable. My friend had to explain that there was nothing he could do that the issue was legal. Then the other guy wanted him to arrest the other couple for trespassing, which he couldn't because they weren't on his property when we got there. It just went on and on. I just shook my head and got back in the car...
Old 05-01-05, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I loved riding along when I was much younger, before I joined my department.

I look back now and realize all the crap I put up with. Not as much now that I'm in plain clothes...but still some BS at times.
Old 05-01-05, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been on a few ride alongs. Since then i've had a lot more respect for the law, and realized that some people have absolutely no respect for authority. I'm not saying that they should bow to every cop they see, but c'mon...don't be an asshole to someone who's probably going to get shot protecting your ass.
Old 05-02-05, 12:05 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

I was supposed to go on a ride along about five years back when a guy I used to train (karate) with joined the local PD. But I never got around to it.
Old 05-02-05, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kantonburg
My best friend is a county cop and has been after me for awhile to go on a ridealong with him. I won't go into details of what happened but FiveO and DVDPolizi can't probably confirm. Man they have to put up with so much BS. We actually only got three calls all night but just traffic kept us busy for the majority of time. It's amazing just how many people just break traffic laws without thought.

Anyway if anyone hasn't done this I'd have to recommend giving this a shot. Just about all departments participate in a ridealong program and I honestly have to say I have a new appreciation for how difficult it is to be a cop
Whereabouts in VA? My brother is a county officer in Henrico County (I think that is how it's spelled) and I did a ride-along with him about 9 years ago during a night shift. Fairly interesting with some exciting moments.
Old 05-02-05, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This is why I'm becoming a firefighter and EMT. People like firefighters

Brian
Old 05-02-05, 01:26 AM

I did a ride along with the California Highway Patrol once, and I was amazed at the stupid things people say trying to get out of tickets. "No really officer, I bought the car from the dealership with the front windows tinted black!" Unfortunately all that happened with mine were traffic violations stops, but it was still cool.
Old 05-02-05, 06:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by outer-edge
Whereabouts in VA? My brother is a county officer in Henrico County (I think that is how it's spelled) and I did a ride-along with him about 9 years ago during a night shift. Fairly interesting with some exciting moments.
Roanoke Co.
Old 05-02-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i've always wanted to do this.. although it does sound kind of boring
Old 05-02-05, 09:30 AM

The ride-along sounds interesting. They should do a tv show where they put a camera in with the cops and you can see the everyday stuff they have to deal with.
Old 05-02-05, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Groucho
The ride-along sounds interesting. They should do a tv show where they put a camera in with the cops and you can see the everyday stuff they have to deal with.

except do it in real time and not just show the exciting stuff
Old 05-02-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho
That would never work.
Old 05-02-05, 10:27 AM

How do you go on a voluntary ride along? Do you have to set up an appointment? I think this would be a pretty cool experience.
Old 05-02-05, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by bdshort
People like firefighters
You have no idea.

I would love to do a ride along to sometime. I might look into it.
Old 05-02-05, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by neo247
How do you go on a voluntary ride along? Do you have to set up an appointment? I think this would be a pretty cool experience.
Well my buddy set this all up for me. But evidently you can just call and setup an appointment. They do a small background check, pull your driving record (don't know why), and you do a short interview. Thats it. Sat in during lineup and out we went.
Old 05-02-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Actually, I did one of these in high school as part of my government class. It was actually pretty boring. I guess I should have done it in the middle of the night, on a weekend, during a full moon, and not during the day

Brian
Old 05-02-05, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So for those of you who went on the ride alongs, was it because you have an interest in this line of work or just out of curiosity? I thought about doing the ride along before myself but never really followed through with it as I don't want to be a police officer (though often the tests I have taken to see what careers for somebody like me would be suited for often lists law enforcement as something somebody of my personality type would be good for).
Old 05-02-05, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
i've always wanted to do this.. although it does sound kind of boring
It wouldn't be boring if you rode out with APD. Go at night and you are almost guaranteed to see someone get Tazed.

...of course, you might get run over by the cop driving.
Old 05-02-05, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by calhoun07
So for those of you who went on the ride alongs, was it because you have an interest in this line of work or just out of curiosity?
I didn't post in this thread but I have posted about doing a ride-along before. I did mine because I was invited and was curious. The officer used to work for me and he went to the police academy after getting out of the Navy.

It was pretty interesting. We went to about 6 or 7 calls and finished the night with a DWI (and she was a real hottie!). Hey, we even stopped for donuts!
Old 05-02-05, 09:12 PM

If you want more experience as to what the officers do in their jobs, see if your city/town/village has a Citizen's Police (or Police and Fire) academy.

My town does and the wife and I did it last year. It is unbelievable all the stuff we got to do. All for free.

Let's see, we:

- got to go on both Police and Fire ride-alongs
- got to learn how to use extinguishers
- got to use the vehicle extrication tools to take apart a car (Jaws of Life, etc.)
- got to do simmunitons training (real guns that fire paint bullets)
- got to do F.A.T.S. training (think video simulator of shooting situations, do you shoot or not?)
- learned how to perform traffic stops (traffic, high risk, and felony)
- learned about arson investigation
- "played" with the K-9 dog
- got to see the cool toys of the local SWAT group

It was a really cool experience. I know a bunch of towns around me offer them as well.

It gives you a real good inside look at what these guys (and gals) go through in the course of their jobs.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.