Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Need advice on cold weather clothing.

Old 05-01-05, 08:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Need advice on cold weather clothing.

I need some advice on what clothing to buy for severe cold weather, specifically for hunting. I'm having trouble staying warm on <40 degree mornings when I'm just sitting there against a tree waiting for a turkey to walk by. I don't think I can layer any more than I already am, so I want to get some specialized clothing for very cold weather. Someone recommended Under Armour, but I'm sure there are other brands out there that are specifically designed to keep you warm in severe cold. Any recommendations? I'd also welcome any suggestions on what sort of clothing to layer with, in order to maximize effectiveness.
Old 05-01-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Even better than sitting out waiting to shoot a turkey in the cold... hunting one at Safeway!

Old 05-01-05, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
<40 isn't severe cold
get some poly propylene long underwear, such as this http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=69739
Old 05-01-05, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know <40 isn't severe cold, but obviously non-severe cold clothing isn't doing the trick for me.
Old 05-01-05, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My advice: Whatever you're doing, just add some more layers. It's all about the layers.

And are you just getting cold in general or are there parts of you that are getting cold? Feet, hands, head, etc.
Old 05-01-05, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by stevevt
My advice: Whatever you're doing, just add some more layers. It's all about the layers.

And are you just getting cold in general or are there parts of you that are getting cold? Feet, hands, head, etc.
Old 05-01-05, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Under Armour Cold Gear. I wear it under my polo shirts when I play golf in the cold. Works great, for me at least.
Old 05-01-05, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by stevevt

That's just it, I can't layer any more than I already am. If I did, I would be completely immobile with my arms sticking straight out from my side. I have to layer smarter. I get cold all over... not just a particular part of the body.
Old 05-01-05, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
also make sure to have a warm hat, like a ski hat
get something with thinsulate for the outer layer and for boots
Old 05-01-05, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You know, you may need to check out some hunting specific items. I'm not sure the Under Armour and layering is the way to go. I snow ski and agree that silks or other ultra thin long johns and laying is the way to go for skiing. But, skiing is very, very active. And the idea is that since you are working out cardio wise, you will sweat. And you want to pull the sweat away from your body and into the layers where it can evaporate.

If you are just sitting for hours on end, on or two heavy layers may be the ticket. I'm not a hunter, so not sure. Just know the idea behind high activity and cold weather is to get your sweat from the activity away from your body so you won't feel cold. Tho you might try some of those hand and feet warmer packets. They usually last about 6 hours and I find if my hands and feet get cold, I feel cold all over.
Old 05-01-05, 11:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

If you are going to just sit around for hours outside then it's gonna get cold.The North Face does have some serious cold weather clothings even for the Himalaya's.So better go to a store and ask their advice.They might give you the best that there is

Last edited by Kumar J; 05-01-05 at 11:32 PM.
Old 05-02-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 05-02-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wear a warm hat, splurge on gloves, get a nice warm sweater.