Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Job for dvd watchers?

Old 04-30-05, 05:02 PM

Job for dvd watchers?

Hey guys im 2nd year in college, i cant study for my life, and zing all my test. All that entertains me, that i can keep an attention span for are dvds and movies. Are there any good majors/careers for this (besides critics/reviewers) besides i dont think biologys is gonna work. I dont just want a carrer that pays good i want one that will entertain me and keep me happy.
Old 04-30-05, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cedrock
Hey guys im 2nd year in college, i cant study for my life, and zing all my test. All that entertains me, that i can keep an attention span for are dvds and movies. Are there any good majors/careers for this (besides critics/reviewers) besides i dont think biologys is gonna work. I dont just want a carrer that pays good i want one that will entertain me and keep me happy.
*blink*

What college is this? ...and, not to be rude, but is English your first language?

Muse
Old 04-30-05, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'd consider going to school a little longer and taking English/Grammar 102 and 103. You survived 101, but I don't know how.

Since this is your second year, seriously think about an internship. It will help you tremendously after you graduate. You have two more years, so write down things that interest you. DVDs aren't currently a major in any college (except Berkeley), so you need to think of something else that makes you want to work for money.

----

So, let me ask you. Why do DVDs entertain you? Is there something about watching movies that entertains you? Because if so, you MUST have a good background in writing and forming sentences. And I mean this in all seriousness. Also, it will help you get better jobs.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 04-30-05 at 05:12 PM.
Old 04-30-05, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

OAR...the only way to go!!

-pedagogue
Old 04-30-05, 05:30 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

You could get a job at a video rental place like Blockbuster or Hollywood video but then you don't need to go to college.
Old 04-30-05, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by feral125
You could get a job at a video rental place like Blockbuster or Hollywood video but then you don't need to go to college.
Since he graduated high school, he's already over-qualified
Old 04-30-05, 05:51 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
I too want a job that will pay me a lot of money and let me watch DVDs all day long. But, since you asked so nicely Cedrock, if I find such a job I'll give you first crack at it.
Old 04-30-05, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Don't listen to him. But do watch his DVD:

Old 04-30-05, 05:55 PM
Enormous Genitals

I have my own movie!
Old 04-30-05, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk God

adult dvds?
Old 04-30-05, 06:07 PM

You should hook up with Wooderson. You two could start a business that rents one armed women and DVDs.
Old 04-30-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My university had a film criticism degree program. I took the first year course as an elective and I did well enough for my professor to tell me I should consider changing my degree (er, yeah), but I just didn't see much of a future in that career path. It was fun watching movies in class though.

EDIT: Oops, I didn't notice that you stated "besides critics/reviewers". Nevermind then, you're probably SOL, but good luck with that.
Old 05-01-05, 07:06 AM
Enormous Genitals

Maybe he can work for one of the studios in DVD quality control?
Old 05-01-05, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Very good idea. Columbia House is my first choice.
Old 05-01-05, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think your choices are pretty much film criticism (but that requires being able to write, and good luck with that) or filmmaking (which also requires being able to write, but not as much as film criticism).
Old 05-01-05, 12:19 PM

lol wow you guys bombed me on the english.(Penn State Abington) I type fast and rarely re-edit unless it's totally unreadable. Yes, english first language but i use it in full text when it counts. I type short, and mis-spell during AIM,test messages, emails, forums etc. Anything else i spell right and double check.

Anyway its not the dvds that entertain, i just mean movies bottom line. Im asking for something in the film industry that you all think someone that loves watching movies would be perfect (that requires a college education) for. The one example i would do is like post producation editing for a movie to cut down long movies, or beef up short movies.
Old 05-01-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

well I just love watching football....I wonder if I could be a football player?
Old 05-01-05, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by brizz

well I just love watching football....I wonder if I could be a football player?
Yea but you dont take classes for football, and if you wanted to be a player you usually start playing from childhood. There are majors for careers in film, football is a sport cant be your major.
Old 05-01-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Cedrock
Yea but you dont take classes for football, and if you wanted to be a player you usually start playing from childhood. There are majors for careers in film, football is a sport cant be your major.
It's not that different.

A lot of high profile directors (Steven Speilberg) started out making shorts when they were kids. I'd say that a proficiency in artistic vision and writing is something that is more innate in some people, just like athleticism is more innate.

Last edited by Brain Stew; 05-01-05 at 03:04 PM.
Old 05-01-05, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

exactemundo....you don't just take a few classes and become a film editor. It's not like being a mechanic, engineer, or CPA. it's an art for which you are gifted with the vision or not.

Here's a better example of how silly your question is: I really love reading good books...i read all the time. I think i'll be a writer.

Just doesn't work that way. There are millions of film fans.....very very very few of which would ever be succesful in their actual production.
Old 05-01-05, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, you would really have to work your way up to be a film editor. And it would involve a lot of talent too (and probably luck). I'm sure that the competition for that and other film related jobs would be incredible. That kind of job would be a long shot at best.
Old 05-01-05, 07:10 PM

AHHH you all have killed me desire to even attempt or have the dream of doing anything with film... Yea you guys had good points, guess ill have to stick to biobehavioral health.
Old 05-01-05, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry to kill your dream. I would have loved to have a career like that myself at one point, but reality sunk in years ago.
Old 05-02-05, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have a career in the film industry (music editor), and I started doing stuff when I was in junior high school, which continued through high school and I went to film school for college. It isn't impossible to change career goals halfway through college (you could always transfer), but to me it isn't enough to just like watching movies. You need to have some sort of drive and general idea of what you want to do. I have plenty of friends who love movies but they have no skills or talent in any field related to filmmaking, so it just wasn't practical for them to go in that direction.
Old 05-02-05, 02:44 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

you could always work at a movie theater