Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Really True?? Marijuana is practically harmless??

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-30-05, 01:07 AM
Banned

I was looking up drug statistics and found that tobacco causes about 435,000 deaths each year and Marijuana causes none. If true, why are we so against marijuana while tobacco is legal????

http://www.drugwarfacts.org/causes.htm
Old 04-30-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk God

Dude, you're overloading me. I am compelled to reply to threads, but I can hardly keep up with you. Light up a doob and mellow.
Old 04-30-05, 01:13 AM
Banned

Sorry.......but I think it's possible that I am ADHD, on marijuana, and gay.
Old 04-30-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

So you've been around since 2001, you're still a new member, and now you are starting theads left and right?
Old 04-30-05, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This should be good. I'm here! Doesn't matter if this thread lasts 1 or 20+ pages.

I got my popcorn! Lets go!
Old 04-30-05, 01:20 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by bobdu
Old 04-30-05, 01:26 AM
Banned

bobdu has probably been lerking and building up the nerve over the last four years to finally post a few very thoughtful and important questions and what happens? He's attacked.

Either that or he's been testing the marijuana.

In any case, I'll bite on this one. Marijuana has never been known to cause any "serious" health problem (meaning leading to death). Tobacco causes MUCH more serious harm.

I'm not sure what would happen if marijuana was legalized or how that would affect health care costs, but, many people believe that a joint of pot is no more harmful than a Big Mac.
Old 04-30-05, 01:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by bobdu

You'd be surprised at the people I see.

Old 04-30-05, 01:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup...totally harmless...it doesn't have any bad effects on you..not even your...uhh...head, or your mind, OR your brain.

As a person who smoked for at LEAST a decade, I must say that it does affect the memory (short term) quite a bit. I must also say that I don't regret it at all. Good times.
Old 04-30-05, 01:34 AM

Well, I read somewhere (cant remember where, it was a while back) that the initial reason pot was made illegal, was that it was used mainly by minorities, mainly blacks in the south. So essentially it was a form of discrimination, and segregation. My theories on why it remains illegal...

Ignorance- The public believes the crap the government constantly feeds them. How many anti-pot ads I've seen that are so far off base is incredible. The people that make them are knowingly, and very blantly lying to decieve the uninformed public.

Control- Somewhere along the line, americans decided it was ok for the government to tell them what could be done with their PERSONAL bodies. This is apparently ok with people.

Business- I can easily grow my own pot. The black market would continue to thrive, despite pot being legal. Therefore, there isn't a 'big business' interest in making it legal. Alcohol and tobacco are much harder to home grow, and therefore theres a lot of money to be made through taxes, and for businesses.

I'm really glad to see that there have been some major prominent battles between state and fed government lately over the issue. It's also nice to see that Canada isn't be pushed into accepting the US policy, so it seems like the policy might change in my lifetime. I heard a while back that Chicago wanted to start making it a civil offence, not a misdemenor. So many people get let off with posession, being able to just make the offense a fine would make the laws more purposeful.
Old 04-30-05, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah but that poor diet cause of death category must be impacted by weed because you know that Cheetos can't be good for you.
Old 04-30-05, 01:39 AM
Suspended

I've seen bud screw up multiple people I know mentally.
Old 04-30-05, 01:46 AM
Banned

There are some countries that allow marijuana, right? So, what have been the effects there? Have they seen a surge in health problems? crime?

Is the "memory loss" only "during" the usage? Or is it a permanent loss?
Old 04-30-05, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've seen alcohol screw up multiple people I know mentally.
Old 04-30-05, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by ricwhite
There are some countries that allow marijuana, right? So, what have been the effects there? Have they seen a surge in health problems? crime?

Is the "memory loss" only "during" the usage? Or is it a permanent loss?
Crime? I can't really see a bunch of stoners getting motivated to go crack open somebody's head and steal their wallet, you know? Much less get off the couch.

And frankly, there's permanent memory loss just by living and growing older. Seriously, how much crap do you remember from your past? Probably a fraction of a percentage of everything you've done. All you need to remember is the important stuff.
Old 04-30-05, 01:56 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by shaun3000
I've seen alcohol screw up multiple people I know mentally.
I don't doubt it.
Old 04-30-05, 02:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't understand how alcohol consumption in this country is treated so casually if not encouraged and marijuana is treated so negatively.
Old 04-30-05, 03:16 AM
Video Gamer Reviewers

Everything you read on the internet is true.
Old 04-30-05, 03:27 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by harpo787
Yup...totally harmless...it doesn't have any bad effects on you..not even your...uhh...head, or your mind, OR your brain.

As a person who smoked for at LEAST a decade, I must say that it does affect the memory (short term) quite a bit. I must also say that I don't regret it at all. Good times.

Marijuana smoke has a ton of carcinogens and tar in it, sometimes more so than a normal pack of smokes. It can cause cancer just as smoking a cigarette can.
Old 04-30-05, 04:04 AM

I've heard there's about as much tar in 4 joints as a pack of cigarettes. Don't know that for sure, though. One thing I do know: There has never been a recorded death that resulted from only smoking marijuana. Yeah, there have been deaths as a result of some dumbass stoner, but nobody's ever been documented as having died solely from weed.
Old 04-30-05, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You know, people used to appreciate being outlaws. Where is this generation's Willie Nelson, or Neil Young? Today, at least from the 'pot should be legal' pot smoking crowd, all I get is the 'victim vibe'. So it doesn't hurt you, so it's a wonder drug, so it's God's gift to underachievers... fine, great! But don't be a whiny ***** about it being illegal and be the goddamned rebel you ought to be already.

Damn slackers.
Old 04-30-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: In my secret underground lair, plotting to TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!! Bwuaaahahahaha!!
Originally Posted by PaperStreetSoapCo
I've heard there's about as much tar in 4 joints as a pack of cigarettes. Don't know that for sure, though. One thing I do know: There has never been a recorded death that resulted from only smoking marijuana. Yeah, there have been deaths as a result of some dumbass stoner, but nobody's ever been documented as having died solely from weed.
Most likely, any recorded death is attributed to tobacco instead of weed. I am sure that most people in the hospital for something like this would say "I am a heavy smoker" or something similar, instead of saying "I smoke weed."
Old 04-30-05, 09:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 04-30-05, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by PaperStreetSoapCo
That's not necessarily true. Littlefuzzy has hit the nail on the head. Typically when someone dies of say lung cancer, it's attribted to smoking. It's not specified what kind of smoking they've done. I'd be willing to bet there are thousands of people who have died from lung cancer or some other cancer as a result of only smoking marijuana.
Old 04-30-05, 10:09 AM

Generally tokers don't smoke as much marajuana as smokers smoke tobaccos. Maybe a joint a day, as opposed to a couple packs a day (40 cigarettes). So it's unlikely that it's causing lung cancer.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.