Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Shootings Come West

Old 04-29-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Shootings Come West

http://story.news.yahoo.com/s/ap/200...eway_shootings

LOS ANGELES - A string of highway shootings since mid-March has left four people dead in Southern California and raised fears of a return to the bad old days of the 1980s, when the Los Angeles area gained a reputation for freeway gunplay.

Authorities have increased freeway patrols and considered installing recorders on roadside traffic cameras.

Five people have been shot in their cars in apparently unrelated and definitely unsolved attacks. In at least three cases, the shooters were in other cars.

Manny Padilla, a California Highway Patrol chief in Southern California, said the bloodshed may reflect frustration with gridlock.

"Driving behavior has changed tremendously with all the congestion here. That causes people to be extremely short-tempered and inconsiderate," he said. "The courtesy we used to extend often isn't there anymore."

Authorities said the overall number of shootings so far this year appears to about the same as in other recent years. But so many deaths in so short span have some motorists on edge.

"We just hope things don't get worse and go back to the way they were," Esmeralda Miller, 65, said Friday at a gas station.

Still, few appear ready to give up driving the freeways, a Southern California way of life.

Nestor Tuazon added several minutes to his daily commute but gained peace of mind by driving side streets instead of a stretch of freeway where two motorists have been killed in Los Angeles. But after two days, he returned to the fast lane.

"I'm just extra careful," said Tuazon, 49, who travels the 110 Freeway between his Los Angeles home and job at a Gardena nursing home, "but I will not stop taking the freeway."

In 1987, Southern California seemed to be America's road-rage capital, with nearly 70 highway shootings over 10 summer weeks, according to Ray Novaco, a psychology professor at University of California at Irvine, who has written about the violence. The shootings left at least five people dead and 11 wounded.

"It was novel phenomenon then, so people grabbed onto it," Novaco said.

Some motorists began carrying guns in self-defense, afraid that a bullet could be just one bad lane change away.

The shootings dropped off after 1987, and since 2001 have averaged around 40 a year in Los Angeles alone, according to police.

In March, a 26-year-old engineer was fatally shot in the head along an Orange County freeway. Over the weeks that followed, two motorists, including a 47-year-old car salesman on his way to Bible study, were killed in separate shootings on the 110 Freeway in Los Angeles. A fourth motorist was gunned down on a Riverside County freeway east of Los Angeles on April 22. A fifth was wounded in Orange County on Sunday.

In the shooting of the car salesman, police suspect he may have angered another motorist without knowing it by making a move in traffic. In Riverside County, witnesses reported the two cars may have been driving alongside each other before the attack, but police do not know why. Other shootings may have stemmed from disputes that began off the freeway, authorities said.

No one has been arrested, and authorities say they have found no links among the five shootings, which took place at different times and places.

As in 1987, the recent wave of shootings has sparked concerns about copy cat attacks, but police said there is no indication that is happening.

----

I think a solution would be to have severe punishment for these crimes, even if you simply hurt someone on the road. For example, you walk up to someone and punch them while on a state road...that's an automatic 20 years, no chance of parole, no appeals, you're fucked.
Old 04-29-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
I think a solution would be to have severe punishment for these crimes, even if you simply hurt someone on the road. For example, you walk up to someone and punch them while on a state road...that's an automatic 20 years, no chance of parole, no appeals, you're fucked.
I don't really have a problem with that. I've always said punish criminals
Old 04-29-05, 08:40 PM
Hud

How bout we just unleash D-Fens from "Falling Down" on the 110.
Old 05-02-05, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Another person shot over the weekend. An 18 year old wounded several times on the 405. Luckily he was able to drive for help.

FUCK! This shit has got me worried....
Old 05-02-05, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
"Come West"? Have all the road rage related shootings for the past 10 years been east coast only?
Old 05-02-05, 08:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Another person shot over the weekend. An 18 year old wounded several times on the 405. Luckily he was able to drive for help.

FUCK! This shit has got me worried....
As if you weren't already a big target.
Old 05-02-05, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by garolo
As if you weren't already a big target.

Damn you sir!

Anyway, they say these shootings "aren't related" but i call bullshit.....
Old 05-02-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

And people say NY drivers are bad
At least we don't shoot at each other!
Old 05-02-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Damn you sir!

Anyway, they say these shootings "aren't related" but i call bullshit.....
I thought the same at first, but seeing how widely dispersed the shootings have been, I am starting to believe otherwise. The shooting victim last evening (on the 405) said he was approached by a black Honda sedan carrying 4 to 5 people with shaved heads and the opened fire. I would be suprised if these same folks are driving literally all over the southland and randomly selecting targets. That doesn't make the situation any less grave. I spend a great deal of my job driving the freeways. Fortunately, I do it during the daytime, but that doesn't make me feel any better.
Old 05-02-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by tdirgins
And people say NY drivers are bad
At least we don't shoot at each other!

That's just because you guys don't have guns.
Old 05-02-05, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
"I'm just extra careful," said Tuazon, 49, who travels the 110 Freeway between his Los Angeles home and job at a Gardena nursing home
Exactly how do you go about doing this?
Old 05-02-05, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Jippy
I thought the same at first, but seeing how widely dispersed the shootings have been, I am starting to believe otherwise. The shooting victim last evening (on the 405) said he was approached by a black Honda sedan carrying 4 to 5 people with shaved heads and the opened fire. I would be suprised if these same folks are driving literally all over the southland and randomly selecting targets. That doesn't make the situation any less grave. I spend a great deal of my job driving the freeways. Fortunately, I do it during the daytime, but that doesn't make me feel any better.

What's so hard aobut commiting the cirmes in spread out areas? That's what freeways are for...travel to other areas.

But wasn't there another witness in another shooting who said that the vehicle was also filled with men with shaved heads? Frankly, I would prefer connected to random because if it's the same fucktards, then catching them will end things.
Old 05-02-05, 01:20 PM

Sounds like someone was driving without their headlights on in the rain.
Old 05-02-05, 04:43 PM

But wasn't there another witness in another shooting who said that the vehicle was also filled with men with shaved heads? Frankly, I would prefer connected to random because if it's the same fucktards, then catching them will end things.
Yeah but they described does suspects driving a Lincoln Deville and these suspects were driving a Honda. But then again they could of just switched cars.
Old 05-02-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
deville is a cadilac
Old 05-02-05, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by neo247
Yeah but they described does suspects driving a Lincoln Deville and these suspects were driving a Honda. But then again they could of just switched cars.

It may not be the same exact persons in every shooting. However, they may be affiliated with the same group or gang.
Old 05-03-05, 07:29 PM

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/4446111/deta...07030205032005

Motorist Arrested After Allegedly Pointing Gun At Actor
Movie Actor Calls Police To Report Incident

POSTED: 4:20 pm PDT May 3, 2005
UPDATED: 5:21 pm PDT May 3, 2005

GARDENA, Calif. -- Gardena police on Tuesday morning arrested a motorist with a gun after another motorist called to report that a gun had been pointed at him from another vehicle while driving on the 105 freeway.

The motorist who called to make the arrest was movie actor Mykelti Williamson, who spoke exclusively with NBC4. Williamson said the man started following his vehicle on the 105.

"This guy pulls a gun on me because he's driving crazy and looking to pick a fight," Williamson said. "When pulled up alongside me, he was yelling and screaming, and I just went 'yeah, yeah, yeah.' That escalated it. That guy got really upset."

Williamson exited the 105 freeway at Vermont. The other motorist followed.

"He was driving next to me with the pistol pointed at me and screaming that I was dead (expletive deleted), and that he had my license number," Williamson said. "Even then, I don't know why he didn't fire."

Williamson said the man forced him to stop. The suspect then approached him with the gun, Williamson said.

"If there were no witnesses around, that man very well could have killed me -- that was a huge gun," he said. "I think he felt in complete control of the situation and that's probably why he didn't fire. But I think even that was an act of God."

The man the left the scene. Police apprehended the suspect a few miles away on the 105 freeway.

"I'm overjoyed that he's off the street," Williamson said. "But that was one guy with a gun. There are a whole lot more guys out here like that."

Williamson is best known for his role as "Bubba" in the movie "Forrest Gump."

Police said they did not know whether the incident was related to recent freeway shootings. Authorities said they confiscated the weapon and other evidence.

The California Highway Patrol is increasing patrols and forming a task force to gather information on at least eight freeway shootings reported in Southern California counties since March. At least 14 shootings have been reported since the beginning of the year. Four of the shooting victims have died of their injuries since March.

No one was injured in a shooting Monday, when a bullet pierced the windshield of an SUV at 3:07 p.m. on the northbound Antelope Valley (14) Freeway in the Newhall Pass.

ATF Joins Probe; County To Consider Proposals

Federal agents have teamed with local officers to investigate the string of shootings.

A spokeswoman for the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said agents have been patrolling over the last week. She said the bureau will supply mobile laboratories for on-scene forensic testing and canines to find shell casings if there is another shooting.

County Supervisor Michael D. Antonovich is asking the Board of Supervisors to consider offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to freeway shooters.

"Perpetrators of this reckless and wanton criminal act have no regard for human life and deserve life sentences," Antonovich said in a news release. "It is our hope that this reward will encourage the public to step forward with any information about the suspects so they can be brought to justice."

Antonovich said he also wants lawmakers to require mandatory life sentences for anyone convicted of a freeway shooting.

The news release said Antonovich's proposals will be considered at a May 10 Board of Supervisors meeting.

Now even actors are getting in on the action! But it's good that no one was hurt and some idiot has been taken off the street!

Chris
Old 05-03-05, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, this actor got his 15 minutes.
Old 05-04-05, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Well, this actor got his 15 minutes.
He's been in alot of movies, so he's not exactly a 15 minutes of fame type of actor.

Forrest Gump, Con-Air, and Heat to name a few. Supporting actor roles, not just appearances.