Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone mad at me for what I just did to a cute little baby rat?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-29-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

My mom calls, says she has a rat in the house. So I go over there, hunt the little bugger down and finally get him to crawl into a small cardboard box. I tape the box shut, and my mom asks me to throw him over the fence. Now, there are only a few things that a rat will do after he gets released "just over the fence," and I'm not thinking any of them are very good.

So I let her know that I will release the rat to a very special place reserved just for rats. She gets the clue and just asks me not to tell her. So of course I'm gonna tell all of you instead. Stop reading here if you think you won't like it.

Any way, I have the little bugger in a small carboard box, so I walk around to the side of the house and find a nice strong tree. Wam! ... ... WAM WAM WAM!... Listen... no movement. Then I see a nice heavy rock, probably a foot in all directions, nice and heavy. I don't want the thing to suffer, whatever is going on in there, so I put the cardboard box down and give the stone several heavy drops onto it from a few feet up. The box is mangled, fortunately still mostly sealed so nothing seeps out. Then I put the box in a plastic bag, tie it off, and throw it in the outdoor trash.

The sad thing is, the first thing I thought of was taking a picture for the "Owned gifs" thread. You see what you people have done to me?! I'm glad I didn't have my camera with me now because I probably wouldn't have wanted to see it myself.

Any way, was this a good way of disposing of the cute little vermin? I'm sure he never knew what was coming, and the box was probably a pretty fun place for a rat to hang out for a couple minutes, so he ended on a high note.

I then placed two traps (one under the house, one in the garage) because I know where there's one baby rat, there's almost certainly someone else. I'll go back over to check the traps in a couple days.

Thoughts?
Old 04-29-05, 02:48 PM

I'm confused...it "Rat" short for "Democrat?"
Old 04-29-05, 02:53 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm confused...it "Rat" short for "Democrat?"

Old 04-29-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Sorry...what was wrong with the "release him" plan?
Old 04-29-05, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid
Sorry...what was wrong with the "release him" plan?
They picked Barabas instead of Jesus.

[pontius pilot] D'oh! [/pontius pilot]
Old 04-29-05, 02:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My father-in-law routinely catches those nasty little red squirrels that can burrow into your walls and fuck shit up...he uses a live trap, which is a cage that closes behind them and they live right on a river he just drops em in cage and all for a few minutes when he snags one. problem solved
Old 04-29-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

you missed a perfect opportunity for rat veal. de-lish!
Old 04-29-05, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would have been unable to resist the urge to open the box and take a look. Sorta like with a kleenix after you blow your nose.

Last edited by Crocker Jarmen; 04-29-05 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-29-05, 03:32 PM
Cool New Member

I'm not proud of what I did, but it was very similar to your story. I was probably about fifteen or so at the time and my family was building a new house. Once it was mostly done and we were able to sleep there, the place was infested with mice and it was up to me to take care of them.

Soooo, my friends and i would catch them and put then in between two styrofoam bowls taped together and started blasting them with two pellet guns while we sat and drank a couple beers.

It kinda went like this:

While I'm not proud of it anymore I remember it being a lot of fun at the time.
Old 04-29-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

He said 'baby rat', not 'cat'.

j/K
Old 04-29-05, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Damn, it sounds like you did an awful lot of stuff for making sure the mouse didn't suffer. But then, I think you are new to this. Generally, I try to kill things swiftly. Something like this mouse would have been stepped on or shot.

While some people may think that the ways of killing a mouse are inhumane, they need to see how most cats do it. Now that's cruel.
Old 04-29-05, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I just paint "CAT FOOD" on their little backs and release them in front of the cats.
The cats are amused and the problem is solved.
Old 04-29-05, 03:59 PM

My cats were never taught how to kill mice, so they just carry the live mouse around in their mouths meowing. It's actually pretty hilarious (less so for the mouse, I imagine).
Old 04-29-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
My cats were never taught how to kill mice.
Let them read this thread?
Old 04-29-05, 04:07 PM
Suspended

I would have just put the box infront of my car tire and went back and forth a few times.
Old 04-29-05, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Caught 2 small white rats and stuck them in a steel cage 2Hx3Wx3L. Doused them with gasoline and threw a match. One caught fire, the other found what it thought was a safe corner. The one on fire ran up the side of the cage, right into the other and poof, they were both ablaze. Hilarity ensued.
Old 04-29-05, 04:16 PM
2017 TOTY Winner

I was in the same position a month or so ago. I had the mouse in a big glass jar. I put a candle in it (tall enough for me to light, out of his way) and lit it. I closed the lid really tight and the candle quickly used up all the oxygen and he went to sleep. No smoke, no coughing just sleepy mouse going to heaven.
Old 04-29-05, 05:07 PM

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
Let them read this thread?
That's just silly. How is a cat gonna get a rat into a box, let alone drop heavy rocks on it?
Old 04-29-05, 06:04 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

some sick fucks in here. the only thing i ever tortured were my GI Joe figures.
Old 04-29-05, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk God

No kidding! I wouldn't treat a dog that way!

Just kidding.

Last edited by kvrdave; 04-29-05 at 06:14 PM.
Old 04-29-05, 06:15 PM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

You should have been more humane.
Next time, starve it to death.
Old 04-29-05, 08:26 PM

My friend once caught a mouse on a...sticky board that is made to catch mice. It was stuck down and was all spread out, so he took a razor blade and cut him right in half. He told me that he didn't think that much blood could be inside one tiny mouse. Then he threw the whole thing out of his apartment window. Ahh, good times.
Old 04-29-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
...Any way, I have the little bugger in a small carboard box, so I walk around to the side of the house and find a nice strong tree. Wam! ... ... WAM WAM WAM!... Listen... no movement. Then I see a nice heavy rock, probably a foot in all directions, nice and heavy. I don't want the thing to suffer, whatever is going on in there, so I put the cardboard box down and give the stone several heavy drops onto it from a few feet up...
What was the point of smacking the box against the tree? You ran a good risk of having the box break open and having the rat tumble out, running off. The stone was a good idea, killed the rat quickly.

Originally Posted by Neuman
My friend once caught a mouse on a...sticky board that is made to catch mice. It was stuck down and was all spread out, so he took a razor blade and cut him right in half...
Allright, that is strange. Unless he killed the mouse quickly first and the disection was in the name of science.

As for me, yeah, I've killed my share of animals of quite a few types, but I *hate* it when an animal suffers. If I kill an animal, it's for a reason and not for fun, and the death is quick. An example of an animal suffering would be a friend of mine who, when he catches mice on the sticky trap, just throws them into the trash. I'd whack them over the head with a hammer first to kill it, then throw it in the trash (which is what I've actually done).
Old 04-30-05, 12:26 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What a chicken.

You should have at least given him a chance and fought him hand to hand.
Old 04-30-05, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Heat
What was the point of smacking the box against the tree? You ran a good risk of having the box break open and having the rat tumble out, running off. The stone was a good idea, killed the rat quickly.
Nah, it was a hard drive box, very sturdy carboard, and taped shut with packing tape. It wasn't gonna bust open with a firm slap to the tree, but there was plenty of force to take him out. The idea was to at least knock him out cold first. I didn't want the rock to crush half his body on the first drop and have him squirming around wondering why half his body was missing.

In all, I think it went pretty well.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.