Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

I'm always hungry

Old 04-29-05, 12:37 PM
Banned

I'm always hungry

How do you people on a diet control your hunger? I have been trying to go on a diet for a couple weeks. My main problem is I am always hungry. Before I was eating all junk food, but I stopped buying it. Now, I find myself overeating on healthy food. What can I do to control my hunger?
Old 04-29-05, 12:41 PM
Cool New Member

Make sure to drink lots of water. That is the first thing that will help a lot. Also, try chewing gum to make your body think you're eating and try snacking on celery if you can. Staying hydrated is very important to feeling like your not hungry. Finally, it will take a little while to get used to new foods. Part of you is probably thinking it hasn't eaten yet because you haven't gotten anything that used to be "food". Good luck.

If that doesn't work, try amphetamines.

j/k. Don't even try the first stuff. Go straight to the amphetamines.

j/k.
Old 04-29-05, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The easiest way to control your hunger is to not have any snack food in the house. In this case you're banking on laziness overriding moderate hunger (you don't want to run to the store all the time). By not satisfying cravings immediately and waiting, most of the time you'll forget about them or find that you're actually not hungry, but bored.

Also, one of the reasons people on diets fail is because they try to do too much too soon. They hold off for a long time, then go on a wild prolonged eating binge and gain back even more weight. You can't change your eating habits overnight, but you can make small adjustments on a regular basis. First, do something easy, like cutting out all soda.
Old 04-29-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979
How do you people on a diet control your hunger? I have been trying to go on a diet for a couple weeks. My main problem is I am always hungry. Before I was eating all junk food, but I stopped buying it. Now, I find myself overeating on healthy food. What can I do to control my hunger?

Your problem is you have only been on your "diet" for a few weeks. It took me about a month or so before the pains went away. Try eating smaller meals 4 or 5 times a day instead of 3 big meals. I rarely get hungry anymore and when I do I eat something heathly but not a lot. I've lost 30 lbs in since Feb doing that and exercising. Also you can eat junk food just once in a while and not very much.
Old 04-29-05, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

kgrogers1979

1) Eat breakfast
2) Drink water, lots of water
3) Eat every 2-3 hours, spacing in healthy meals and small, healthy snacks

If you eat more frequently and eat breakfast, you'll find you can eat more, because your metabolism is in overdrive; and you won't be hungry because you're always eating. If you can control yourself, you also won't "overeat" at meals, because you just had a snack two hours ago.

das
Old 04-29-05, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Ooooh, bad day for this topic. It is onion ring day.
Old 04-29-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

it's turkey ham and cheddar pringles and mountain dew day here
Old 04-29-05, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Maybe you're pregnant.
Old 04-29-05, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk God

Start smoking.
Old 04-29-05, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

brizz

it's turkey ham and cheddar pringles and mountain dew day here
Sounds like a Survivor reward challenge.

das
Old 04-29-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 04-29-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

what's your definition of healthy food? If you are eating too many simple carbs then it makes you feel hungry more often.
Old 04-29-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Blood Sugars ok?

Anyway you should be eating healthy foods more than 3 times a day anyway. Isn't like 5 or 6 times a day? Regular healthy meals and healthy snacks in between? It's better for your metabolism.

Another thing, If you want to eat....then eat. Just be sensible. Nothing fucks up a diet worse than starving yourself then quitting the diet out of frustration and hunger.
Old 04-29-05, 05:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by al_bundy
what's your definition of healthy food? If you are eating too many simple carbs then it makes you feel hungry more often.
I have been eating a lot of fruits for snacks. Yesterday, I had a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, a grilled chicken sandwich and a bowl of green beans for lunch, and salmon and another bowl of green beans for dinner. I snacked on a bunch of fruits between meals. I had 6 bananas, 3 apples, and about a 1/3 of a bag of grapes. I have been eating pretty much the same thing every day.

I drink half a gallon of water a day. I never drink soda or anything sugary. I never was much of a drinker, so half a gallon of water is a lot for me.

My blood sugar is ok. It ranges from 100-110. Diabetes runs in both sides of my family, so I take my blood sugar every 2 or 3 weeks. It has never been above 110.
Old 04-29-05, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have been eating a lot of fruits for snacks. Yesterday, I had a bowl of oatmeal for breakfast, a grilled chicken sandwich and a bowl of green beans for lunch, and salmon and another bowl of green beans for dinner. I snacked on a bunch of fruits between meals. I had 6 bananas, 3 apples, and about a 1/3 of a bag of grapes. I have been eating pretty much the same thing every day.

I drink half a gallon of water a day. I never drink soda or anything sugary. I never was much of a drinker, so half a gallon of water is a lot for me.

My blood sugar is ok. It ranges from 100-110. Diabetes runs in both sides of my family, so I take my blood sugar every 2 or 3 weeks. It has never been above 110.
So in one day you ate a bowl of oatmeal, a chicken sandwich, a bowl of green beans, salmon, another bowl of green beans, plus 6 bananas, and 3 apples? And you are still hungry? Holy shit dude. I'd cut out the 6 bananas and have 1 apple. At that rate you are never going to lose weight. Your eating to many carbs with the apples and the bananas and not enough protein.
Old 04-29-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Real oatmeal, or that yummy instant sugarmeal that comes in little packets? If the latter, try real oatmeal with blueberries as a healthy alternative. That other stuff is just sugar-in-a-bag. Why do you think it tastes so darn good?

As for the rest, it is possible to eat too much fruit. Fruit is better than most stuff, but stuffing yourself with fructose isn't a particularly good diet plan (which I expect is the point of your starting this thread), as the sweetness is satisfying but only moderately filling, and it can make you crave more. I'd suggest mixing in some more filling snacks, perhaps some grains and breads. In moderation, carbs are good for you, but not all the time, and not all of the same type. Find a whole wheat or multi-grain bread that you like and rely on it. Some days, I find that just a toasted slice of bread can be really tasty and filling.

Also, you say you have pretty much the same thing every day? Stop that. Variety isn't just the spice of life. If you eat the same thing all the time, you'll find yourself craving everything else even when you're not really hungry. Find some more foods you like and mix it up a bit.

Some other easy snacks I've found to be tasty and filling: almonds (don't be scared of the fat content; it's mostly unsaturated and fine in moderation), canned tuna, canned salmon, pita & hummus.

Mainly, I think you just need to find some other snacks and rotate out all that fruit. Sugar begets sugar. The more you eat it the more you crave it. Eating all that fruit is probably one of the reasons you feel hungry all the time. Good luck.

das

Last edited by das Monkey; 04-29-05 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-29-05, 06:34 PM

Jughead?
Old 04-29-05, 08:17 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mopower
So in one day you ate a bowl of oatmeal, a chicken sandwich, a bowl of green beans, salmon, another bowl of green beans, plus 6 bananas, and 3 apples? And you are still hungry? Holy shit dude. I'd cut out the 6 bananas and have 1 apple. At that rate you are never going to lose weight. Your eating to many carbs with the apples and the bananas and not enough protein.
If you think that is a lot of food, you should have seen what I ate before trying to diet. I was eating 4000+ calories a day before. I did not know that fruit had a lot of carbs. I thought fruit was supposed to be really healthy like Chiquita says that bananas are the perfect food or something like that.

Originally Posted by das Monkey
Real oatmeal, or that yummy instant sugarmeal that comes in little packets? If the latter, try real oatmeal with blueberries as a healthy alternative. That other stuff is just sugar-in-a-bag. Why do you think it tastes so darn good?
I get the instant oatmeal, but I don't get the flavored kind. I get the original Regular Flavor. It says on the box that there is 0 grams of sugar. Is the instant oatmeal really bad for you or just the flavored kind?

Also, even before trying to diet, I pretty much ate the same foods every day. I am a very picky eater. Before my daily diet consisted of pizza, hamburgers, and cinnamon rolls and not much else.

I probably will get something besides fruit to snack on. Is lunchmeat like ham and turkey bad?
Old 04-29-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

kgrogers1979

I did not know that fruit had a lot of carbs. I thought fruit was supposed to be really healthy like Chiquita says that bananas are the perfect food or something like that.
Sugar = carbs. Fructose = sugar. Fruit = fructose. Bananas are good for you, in moderation. Vitamin C, potassium, fiber, B6 ... all good stuff. 6 a day, however, is a lot of sugar.

kgrogers1979

I get the instant oatmeal, but I don't get the flavored kind. I get the original Regular Flavor. It says on the box that there is 0 grams of sugar. Is the instant oatmeal really bad for you or just the flavored kind?
I was mainly referring to the flavored kind. You'd be better off with real oatmeal, but that's nowhere near as convenient, so instant is fine as long as you avoid the flavored.

kgrogers1979

I probably will get something besides fruit to snack on. Is lunchmeat like ham and turkey bad?
Not at all. You don't want to get honey-glazed ham or anything like that, but if you pick out some lean meats, you should be OK. This reminds me of something I forgot to mention: MILK! It does a body good, or so I've heard. If you're having trouble getting through the day feeling hungry all the time, try this for lunch: sandwich (2 slices of whole wheat/multi-grain bread, 2-3 thin slices lean lunchmeat, fresh leafy spinach, mustard) and a tall glass of skim milk. The milk will coat your stomach, the bread will be filling, and the spinach will make you strong like Popeye. Since you seem to love the sugars , the milk will help with that too.

das
Old 04-29-05, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This may sound weird, but I noticed when I exercised more, I wasn't as hungry.

It's really hard not to eat when you have that issue. Everyone says, "Oh just eat this or drink water" but what it really comes down to, is your willpower. It's tough. That's why diets have a high percentage of failing. But, if you can keep yourself preoccupied with exercise in the beginning, you will eventually not feel as hungry.
Old 04-29-05, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Really its just time...Believe me, no one here likes to eat more than I do, but I had to make a choice and just do it. Now I dont have cravings for junk and shit anymore. That doesnt mean I dont like the bad stuff, but now I can avoid it. Exercise helps alot, because one, sometimes Im so tired I dont even want to eat, and two, I think I put in all that work, why ruin it by eating some piddly candy bar or hamburger. Unfortunatly Ive learned, there is no magic pill, it really is all about will power.
Old 04-29-05, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I eat like a pig. I let my metabolism do all the work.
Old 04-29-05, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Echoing what was said above, exercise kills hunger. I find that if I run for at least a good mile or two (usually I go 3), the hunger goes away.

On the downside, about an hour later, I'm ravenous. In which case, I fill up with some flavored rice and beans (one of those easy to prepare box meals) and maybe a scrambled egg tossed in for some extra protein. And for me, the key is a nice tall cold glass of 2% milk to go with it.

Milk is actually a GREAT way to feel full. I've always believed (and a recent study showed this too) that drinking milk helps to lose weight (I think it has something to do with the high calcium - calcium plays a role in activation in turning "on" multiple cell signals). But besides that, it's a great hunger killer too. But you need to have some fat in there, otherwise it doesn't satisfy real well. 2% works best for me. But at least whatever you eat, you will have also gotten some exercise in, which is the most important thing - it keeps your metabolism up. Don't worry about the fat in there if you got some exercise. It's really nothing compared to the fat content of some of the things your average person consumes. Plus, don't forget that you NEED fat. Heart muscle actually is designed to use fat as its primary energy source.

Last edited by hahn; 04-29-05 at 11:35 PM.