Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Chipped lens in brand new camera?

Old 04-29-05, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Chipped lens in brand new camera?

So just about two hours ago, DHL stopped by and dropped off my new Canon G6 which I got from Dell. I charge the battery, by the time it is charged, I take off the camera lens and I see something like dust or a leaf on the lens. I tilt the camera thinking it's something that just fell on but no, it looks like it is inside the camera/barrel/protruding thing. (Sorry, not technically good with terms).

Anyways, it looks like a piece of tinfoil, or like the inside of the outer lens (the concave area) is chipped. It is definitely not dust or dirt. Obviously I can't take a picture of it.

It sort of looks like this:

I tried to illustrate it on an existing picture of the camera. (This is not a picture of MY camera, only a photochop).

Kind of like this

Questions?
- Is this normal?
- Who should I contact, Canon or Dell?

And how do I describe the problem to them?
Old 04-29-05, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Well, if you want a new G6 immediately, I would contact Dell. If you contact Canon, they will repair it at no charge.
Old 04-29-05, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Definately call Dell first. You don't want a repair, you want a new camera.

Unless there's a way to unscrew it, dump out the flake and move on with life.
Old 04-29-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This is ridiculous. I called Dell as soon as I posted this and have yet to talk to anyone that can help me, I just keep getting transferred.

I should've just paid much more and bought it from a local store, this is a complete waste of my time.
Old 04-29-05, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
This is ridiculous. I called Dell as soon as I posted this and have yet to talk to anyone that can help me, I just keep getting transferred.

I should've just paid much more and bought it from a local store, this is a complete waste of my time.
Naw, just call Dell back tell them you want a RA number and you want it now.

Dell is no different then a B&M store, you could get some good or bad help. Just tell Dell you want to return and you will order another one later.
Old 04-29-05, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This is ridiculous. They've wasted three hours of my time and I am still at square one. I have talked to, literally, over a dozen people. Never again, Dell.

I am shipping this back to them and am asking to have a refund issued.

Never again.
Old 04-29-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Another hour down the drain. This is absolutely insane.
Old 04-29-05, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by The Bus
Another hour down the drain. This is absolutely insane.
Maybe I don't understand but why do you keep calling them? Dell is a computer company they are set up for e-communication. This is from their site,

How to Return: To return products, e-mail or call Dell customer service to receive a Credit Return Authorization Number within the return policy period applicable to the product you want to return. You must obtain a Credit Return Authorization Number in order to return the product. See "Contacting Dell" or "Getting Help" in your customer documentation (or www.dell.com/us/en/gen/contact.htm) to find the appropriate contact information for obtaining customer assistance.

You must ship the products to Dell within five (5) days of the date that Dell issues the Credit Return Authorization Number. You must also return the products to Dell in their original packaging, in as-new condition along with any media, documentation, and all other items that were included in the original shipment, prepay shipping charges, and insure the shipment or accept the risk of loss or damage during shipment.

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...=19&l=en&s=dhs

And here is the link for the form you need to complete. If you sign in, it will likely populate the form for you and all you need is the RAN.

http://support.dell.com/support/topi...are/en/returns

While I certainly agree with you they should have better CS on the phone, they don't and that is something I actually that is fine with me. This way I can e-mail or whatever whenever I want.

Anyway, I am truely sorry you are having problems, hopefully the above links will help you move forward.
Old 04-30-05, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Please keep us updated. We all need closure.