Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

School me on.... low end barbacues

Old 04-29-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

School me on (and learn how to spell).... low end barbeque

looking to buy a gas barbacue grill for my new house.. not looking for any crazy weber grill that costs 8k.. just to use it everynow and then to cook a hamburger or hot dog on with a few buddies... i see walmart has Char-Broil A04 24,000 BTU Gas Grill for $98. Would this suit my needs or will I need to buy a new one every few months?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2216663

Last edited by j123vt_99; 04-29-05 at 11:02 AM.
Old 04-29-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've been meaning to ask this too. .. I'll go like $200 or so, maybe $250 at the absolute most, but I'm not going to be using it incredibly often, just want to have it to use when I want to.
Old 04-29-05, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

These are grills and produce grilled meat, not barbeque.

I got a similar one about 3 years ago and it has served me well. It has weathered a bit since I don't use a cover and the burner needs replacing.
Old 04-29-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
looking to buy a gas barbacue grill for my new house.. not looking for any crazy weber grill that costs 8k.. just to use it everynow and then to cook a hamburger or hot dog on with a few buddies... i see walmart has Char-Broil A04 24,000 BTU Gas Grill for $98. Would this suit my needs or will I need to buy a new one every few months?

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=2216663

If you're going to try and cook on one, you should at the very least learn how to spell it......
Old 04-29-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Minor Threat
If you're going to try and cook on one, you should at the very least learn how to spell it......

i knew it looked messed up.. but per nazgul, i want a grill anway... and i can spell grill
Old 04-29-05, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had always bought the cheap walmart ones in the past, but they usually didn't last long. Finally got tired of crappy grills and bought a weber. I got the cheapest one they offered at the time - think it was about $400.

After the weber, I could never go back to the cheap ones. If you don't think you will use one very much, you might be fine with the walmart one. However, if you do get a decent one, you might fine yourself grilling more often.
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I and am temporarily using a friends gas grill until he moves. He picks it up next week and I can't wait to get a good ole fashiong charcoal grill like I used to have.

Getting the weber one-touch gold for around $100. plus a charcoal chimney starter for $10. The grill has easy ash disposal, and gas cooking doesnt compare to mesquite wood chips. mmmmm..
DVD Talk Legend

barbacues
You weren't born in Texas, were you....

After rotating through a new $125-150ish grill every other year or so, I actually have switch to the standard roundedy topped but square grill. A friend talked me into it, and I do think that I can taste the gas fumes in the food on a gas grill. It also feeds my primal urge to create fire.

The briquets with the fluid already in them are the shit!
Old 04-29-05, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just got one of these bad boys at Lowes for a decent price. I haven't had a chance to do any real smoking yet, though.

Old 04-29-05, 11:21 AM
Banned

Is it radioactive?
Old 04-29-05, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by E70f
Is it radioactive?
Yes - you can cook a slab of ribs in 20 seconds.
Old 04-29-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I had this model (a few years ago), and it was great. I got another grill because I moved, not because I didn't like it. It is a bit more than you listed...but it will last a heck of a lot longer than a cheap grill.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A4089%3A4884

I have last year's model of this grill: http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A4089%3A4884
Amazon might still have a few around. I bought it last winter and got a great deal on it. They might still have a couple. It will probably run you $250 or so...but it is worth twice that in grilling $$.

*edit*
Found it on amazon...unfortunately it is $400...not $250.00. Still a great grill (good replacement for a lower end weber)
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...arden&n=507846

-pedagogue

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 04-29-05 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-29-05, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Location: Working in the "evil" pharmaceutical industry booga booga
Originally Posted by Nazgul
These are grills and produce grilled meat, not barbeque.

I got a similar one about 3 years ago and it has served me well. It has weathered a bit since I don't use a cover and the burner needs replacing.

Old 04-29-05, 12:48 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by pedagogue
I had this model (a few years ago), and it was great. I got another grill because I moved, not because I didn't like it. It is a bit more than you listed...but it will last a heck of a lot longer than a cheap grill.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...%3A4089%3A4884

For the past 10 years or so, I've been using an ultra-cheap model that's very similar to the one in the OP. Over the past few weeks, I've been thinking about picking up one of these though. It looks like a very nice upgrade, but even at $250 it seems expensive to me.
Old 04-29-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had a cheap Sunbeam ~$100 grill for 14 years (lots of burner replacements). It held up much longer than I expected and did a good job. When I replaced it, I got a big, fancy Weber.

Don't get me wrong, I like the Weber better, but the cheap grill did a fine job at a time when low price and small size were more important. A cover does seem to help them last longer.
Old 04-29-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Dead
For the past 10 years or so, I've been using an ultra-cheap model that's very similar to the one in the OP. Over the past few weeks, I've been thinking about picking up one of these though. It looks like a very nice upgrade, but even at $250 it seems expensive to me.
To each their own. I picked this up originally because of the size (I wanted a larger grill) and the side burner. I found a great clearance deal on FW (?) for it, so I jumped on it. It was great, and I found a 'new' home for it with a buddy....actually another DVDTalker.

-pedagogue
Old 04-29-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Personally I would try to get one with cast iron grates (those thin coat hanger chrome grate are worthless, IMHO).

Cast Iron take a little more maintence (seasoning and regular oiling), but it is well worth. Just keep in mind they take a little longer to heat up, but they are very even and retain their heat well.

For a good deal you should have looked at Christmas, this is prime grill selling season. Typically the next big sales happen just before July 4th.

IMHO, the $100 units are worthless except they keep you from heating up the kitchen (they don't get hot enough to really sear, they do not retain their heat, they warp and discolor easy, the grates are easy to damage, etc, etc). Tho I don't think you have to spend a $1,000 either. There are some nice units in the $200 to $300 range and at the upper end of that you start getting into the basic Webbers which are hard to beat.
Old 04-29-05, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What in the hell kind of sissy ass, commie, Hank Hill fantasy fucking thread have I wandered into? This is a grill:

Those are all outdoor ovens that happen to produce grill marks.

I've had my grill similar to the one above and a small version of the same for the past 4 years and both have served me without fail. I grill at least 2 times a week almost all year. Both units combined cost me $60 max. Plus, the food actually tastes like it's grilled.
Old 04-29-05, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sdallnct
For a good deal you should have looked at Christmas, this is prime grill selling season. Typically the next big sales happen just before July 4th.
I live in South Florida. Prime grill selling season is 365 days a year.
Old 04-29-05, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 04-29-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

charcoal is too much of a hassle. For me it's either use charcoal and BBQ 4 times a year, or use gas and BBQ (or grill, or whatever) 4 times a week.
Old 04-29-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Real men use charcoal! Under $80 at Home Depot, another $20 for a charcoal chimney and a bag of REAL chunk charcoal, not that briquette crap!.

If only I could find a real cast-iron grill to fit my Weber, gives me a grill-gasm just thinking about it.
Old 04-29-05, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nosmo Rex
I just got one of these bad boys at Lowes for a decent price. I haven't had a chance to do any real smoking yet, though.

Exactly the kind I've been wanting for a long time. The one I had my eye on was a Brinkman, I believe. This one looks better actually because of the slide-out coal chamber for easy ash removal - I don;t think the Brinkman had that, or at least the model I was looking at didn't. In any event, it's the design that entices me, not the brand. It's very versatile, the hot box doubling as either your indirect heat source for smoking/barbecuing, or as a direct heat source for grilling.

And charcoal kicks ass. And lump charcoal kicks even more ass.

Last edited by Mutley Hyde; 04-29-05 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-29-05, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by darkflounder

Real men use charcoal! Under $80 at Home Depot, another $20 for a charcoal chimney and a bag of REAL chunk charcoal, not that briquette crap!.

If only I could find a real cast-iron grill to fit my Weber, gives me a grill-gasm just thinking about it.

I concur.

I used to hate trying to start charcoal to grill until I bought a chimney starter. Now I am the grill master in my family, when I am at my in-laws, I don't even like to cook out on their gas grill. I live in North Dakota and grill year round and never have any problems starting my charcoal, even when it is around zero degrees and gusting winds. I can't see even owning a gas grill again and I also doubt I will ever buy another grill that is not a Weber.
Old 04-29-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Count me in amongst the non-gas grill users. I've had mine for about 8 years and it gets used pretty regularly. I love grilled fish, so we often do that in the summer (my boyfriend is going salmon fishing in a week or two, yay! ) - and the best briquettes are made from mesquite, not charcoal, imo. Makes all fish, chicken, beef and veggies taste yummy.

My grill was a gift, and it was purchased at crate and barrell, so the well-intentioned but foolish friend spent about $250 for a $150 grill. I can't remember the brand (black and decker maybe?), but it pretty much looks like this:

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.