Reload this Page >

Are you a racist? And other fun tests- Implicit Association Test

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-29-05, 09:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

https://implicit.harvard.edu/implici...lectatest.html

There are quite a few tests on here from Harvard Scientests measuring your response to different objects from race, age, religion, sex, and others. I have only done the race one and these were the results I got:

Your data suggest a strong automatic preference for European American relative to African American
This is what it had to say in the FAQ section about the results:

If my IAT shows automatic White preference, does that mean that I'm prejudiced?
Answer: This is a very important question. Social psychologists use the word 'prejudiced' to describe people who endorse or approve of negative attitudes and discriminatory behavior toward various out-groups. Many people who show automatic White preference on the Black-White IAT are not prejudiced by this definition. These people are apparently able to function in non-prejudiced fashion partly by making active efforts to prevent their automatic White preference from producing discriminatory behavior. However, when they relax these active efforts, these non-prejudiced people may be likely to show discrimination in thought or behavior. The question of relation between implicit and explicit attitudes is of strong interest to social psychologists, several of whom are doing research on that question for race-related attitudes.

It's a very interesting test but I don't want to give away how the test works, but it takes about 10 minutes to do a test. You might want to read some of the other information on the site about the tests before taking one.
Old 04-29-05, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i don't get the test.. if you do the old/young one and click on old when the pic is of a "young" person, it says you are wrong.. isn;t the whole point of this type of test that there is no wrong/right answer?
Old 04-29-05, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just took the straight/gay test and got:

Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for STRAIGHT PEOPLE relative to GAY PEOPLE
Nobody tell Art.
Old 04-29-05, 09:37 AM

Okay, I did the race one first.

Your data suggest a moderate automatic preference for White American relative to African American
Not surprising, since I got used to hitting "E" for African Americans, then they switched it so I got confused and made more mistakes.

The test seems to be rigged.
Old 04-29-05, 09:38 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
i don't get the test.. if you do the old/young one and click on old when the pic is of a "young" person, it says you are wrong.. isn;t the whole point of this type of test that there is no wrong/right answer?
No there is a right answer that's why it will tell you if you get it wrong a X will appear and that you need to hit the right one.
Old 04-29-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Graftenberg
No there is a right answer that's why it will tell you if you get it wrong a X will appear and that you need to hit the right one.

i know.. and that makes the test stupid.. isn't all that crap in the eye of the beholder? take some like mariah carey or derek jeter.. are they white or black?
Old 04-29-05, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Groucho
Okay, I did the race one first.

Not surprising, since I got used to hitting "E" for African Americans, then they switched it so I got confused and made more mistakes.

The test seems to be rigged.
This is from their FAQ's:

How does the IAT measure implicit attitudes? Answer: The IAT asks you to pair two concepts (e.g., young and good, or elderly and good). The more closely associated the two concepts are, the easier it is to respond to them as a single unit. So, if young and good are strongly associated, it should be easier to respond faster when you are asked to give the same response (i.e. the 'E' or 'I' key) to these two. If elderly and good are not so strongly associated, it should be harder to respond fast when they are paired. This gives a measure of how strongly associated the two types of concepts are. The more associated, the more rapidly you should be able to respond. The IAT is the only method for measuring implicit or automatic attitudes that is demonstrated on this website. However, there are other methods, using different procedures, that have been investigated in laboratory studies.
That is how the tests I did worked where they switch it around and had to think of how to respond.
Old 04-29-05, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by j123vt_99
i know.. and that makes the test stupid.. isn't all that crap in the eye of the beholder? take some like mariah carey or derek jeter.. are they white or black?
True but they are using people who are obviously either white or black.
Old 04-29-05, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Ah, here's a meaningless result:

Your data suggest little or no automatic racial association with Weapons or Harmless Objects

Old 04-29-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My test showed little or no preference either way on the race test. I made a bunch of mistakes when they first switched it, so apparently the test adusts for that.
Old 04-29-05, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Your data suggest little or no automatic preference for White relative to Black
I'm going to print this puppy out. Then, if anyone ever says I'm racist, I can tell them I've got a certificate from Harvard that says otherwise.
Old 04-29-05, 11:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just took the Presidential Popularity one. It says I have a moderate automatic preference for Richard Nixon over George W. Bush. lol!

That's actually true, but it's kind of like asking whether I'd rather have my throat slit by a German cook's knife or a Japanese santoku.

Oh yeah, it also says the data suggests I have a "slight automatic preference for White American relative to Black American".

Very interesting site! It was actually mentioned in Malcolm Gladwell's book "Blink". I remember trying to to check it out back when I was reading that but there was some sort of technical issue and I couldn't. Gladwell is half African American and he said he took the test a few times and kept getting results that showed a moderate preference for white Americans. He says that over 80% of the respondents will show some preference for white Americans.
Old 04-29-05, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this test is kind of dumb...
i don't need a test to tell me what i prefer.. i can tell you that before hand.
I am young, i like young people, if i am white i most likely associate better with whites, etc.
Also, the whole getting used to hitting a button in a certain order and then switch, makes it more of a hand eye coordination then anything else.
Old 04-29-05, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Didn't we prove this was rigged (or skewed) by the order in which the test was presented the last time it was posted?

das
Old 04-29-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Whichever association comes up first is the one I'm "slightly" skewed towards. If I slow down I get those middle of the road answers "no preference" either way. I don't have the hand-eye coordination to switch gears - if they tell me right is female, left is male, right is science, left is liberal arts, I will slightly skew to female/science. Whatever is the first association of the right hand and its corresponding adjective/trait/field will be the one I slightly skew towards. Because I'm right handed, and they set up the association x way first, x will get associated with the right due to poor hand-eye coordination on my part. Seems pretty bogus to me.
Old 04-29-05, 04:33 PM

I scored:

Your data suggest little or no automatic preference for African American relative to White American
I don't think it is very well constructed test because it shows a limited number of faces of both groups. Also, I believe it is purposely skewed toward selection of Caucasians as "good". I think that the African American faces that were used, were chosen because they departed from the "golden mean" whereas the Caucasian faces were more closely aligned with the "golden mean". Faces that fit the ideal of beauty are found in all racial subgroups

This test really tells more about the researcher's bias than anything else.

BTW, I am neither "white" nor "black".

http://www.world-mysteries.com/sci_17.htm

http://www.beautyanalysis.com/mba_co...eauty_page.htm
Old 04-29-05, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk God

No preference. There are just so many good reasons to hate people beyond their color.
Old 04-29-05, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

What do you call a black guy that flies planes?
Spoiler:
A pilot you f-in racist!
Old 04-29-05, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Is it a great big shocker that you naturally tend to feel more comfortable with people like yourself? In your age group, ethnicity, social class, etc.? That's a natural human tendency. They don't need a poorly-designed test to tell me that.
Old 04-29-05, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

man.. harvard has really gone down hill in the last few years
Old 04-29-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by bigsoos
What do you call a black guy that flies planes?
Air pollution?
Old 04-29-05, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I took it, felt like I wasted my time, and got an "Inconclusive."
Old 04-29-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think there is a natural prejudice in everyone. As people here said, people naturally gravitate towards people who are similar to themselves. And you think favorably of them because you WANT to think favorably of them since you see them as being similar to you.

However, prejudice is different than racism in which you act on your prejudices. In which you talk to people or treat people in a manner that is based on nothing but the assumptions that come from your prejudices.