Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Make tequila taste decent?

Old 04-28-05, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Make tequila taste decent?

I've gotten margaritas when out at the various Mexican restaurants and absolutely loved them. Tasty little sour drinks. Well, as i'm slowly building my liquor stocks at home i decided i ought to get some tequila to make my own margaritas. I checked out some reviews and saw Jose Cuervo is supposed to be decent stuff that i can easily find in my area so i picked up a big bottle of it and some margarita mix.

Unfortunately the shit is vile. It tastes nothing like the margaritas i have had while out and i am now stuck with a giant bottle of the stuff. So.... give me some mixed drink recipes that i might be able to work on acquiring the taste for the stuff. I have seent that there is evidentally a white tequila (?) - i have no clue about it other than the kind i have is an amber color.

edit: my grammar sucked.

Last edited by xmiyux; 04-28-05 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-28-05, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Jose Cuervo is shit tequila, the "1800" is a particular rip off. Get anything that's 100% blue agave, stay away from anything that isn't. "Reposado" (aged) tequila is generally a little smoother than the regular stuff as well.
Old 04-28-05, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Jose Cuervo is shit tequila, the "1800" is a particular rip off. Get anything that's 100% blue agave, stay away from anything that isn't. "Reposado" (aged) tequila is generally a little smoother than the regular stuff as well.
Well damnit. See this is what i get for cheating on my true love of Makers Mark. It tolerated a brief affair with some spiced rum, but only because it knew it would only be a short fling mixed up with Coke.

Well in the interim help me out in drinking this stuff because i can't bring myself to get rid of the bottle. Even if it will be a long time before i pick up tequila again.
Old 04-28-05, 07:59 PM
Banned

You try the pre-mixed stuff. It has the mix, tequila, and trip-sec already in the bottle. Just shake and serve.

But the best Tequila, IMO, is Patron. Yummy.

Last edited by joshd2012; 04-28-05 at 08:03 PM.
Old 04-28-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Best imho is Patron, but I wouldn't waste it in a mixed drink, it's tasty enough to just drink...
Old 04-28-05, 08:06 PM
Banned

I agree, don't mix unless you're a big puss and can't take a little tequila flavor.
Old 04-28-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

You just need lime and salt to help get the tequila down your throat faster.
Old 04-28-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well if you do go with Jose Cuervo (and I agree to stay away from it) at least go with the "white" and not the gold...Its not quite as pissy tasting.
Old 04-28-05, 08:58 PM
Suspended

straight no chaser.

http://www.bevmo.com/productinfo.asp...spirits&bhcp=1

Old 04-28-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The thing is, the tequila you get in a margarita in a restaurant is probably worse quality than even Cuervo. It's just that they usually stiff you on the amount of alcohol, so you are much less likely to notice the bad taste. When you made the drink at home, you probably put a good deal more tequila in the mix than you've ever gotten at a restaurant.

Personally, I can't stand the taste of tequila, so I'll leave the recommendations to others.
Old 04-28-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

A very good friend of mine is a Mexican American and his family back in Mexico has their own agave crop and makes their own tequila. He gave me a basic tequila primer, and like Hiro11 said, don't buy anything that isn't 100% blue agave. Patron is OK, Don Julio is awesome. I used to think I didn't like tequila until I had some high-quality stuff (like $8-$12 per shot). When I tasted the flavor and smoothness of that stuff, I was convinced. Stay away from Cuervo and other cheap crap. Spend some money on a good tequila and I think you'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 04-28-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Although I like Patron, it is far from the best. Nice bottle, decent tequila .

To the OP, when you order you marg's did you actually find out what brand was used? Especiallly if you like them, find out what was used so you know what you like. Although .... It's probably the mix not the tequila you liked.
Old 04-28-05, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

As others have mentioned and as I have proclaimed before:

Old 04-28-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by joshd2012

I agree, don't mix unless you're a big puss and can't take a little tequila flavor.
Please... the last thing anyone sitting on a beach wants to do is shots of TeQ.
Mix all you want...
Old 04-28-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Flashback
Please... the last thing anyone sitting on a beach wants to do is shots of TeQ.
Mix all you want...
There are sipping tequilas. Shots are for those that don't appreciate the taste.
Old 04-28-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never tried Patron...guess I'm missing out! I'm not a huge tequila fan, though...had some bad experiences with it during a memorable Spring Break back in college...
Old 04-28-05, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by criptik28
I've never tried Patron...guess I'm missing out! I'm not a huge tequila fan, though...had some bad experiences with it during a memorable Spring Break back in college...
'cause you were drunk...can't deal with hard stuff....it was really the 'fake' Tequila.

Really, Patron is pretty good. Not my favorite (I do like it) but definitely better than the crap that you see all the time.
Old 04-28-05, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Drank too much, puked, passed out, woke up, smelled tequila everywhere, puked some more, etc., etc., etc.
Old 04-28-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Patron, a great sipping tequila.
Old 04-28-05, 09:49 PM

put some honey in black coffee. it tastes strangely like tequila.
Old 04-28-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

1. don't waste patron or other high end tequilla on margaritas

2. as said before, even cuervo can taste good in a margarita. Its the mix and all the ingredients. The restaurants are probably using better stuff, or just know how to make a margarita right.
Old 04-29-05, 07:45 AM

I agree with the others. Margaritas are not simple to make. If you buy the mix, then that is what is making the taste bad. To me an easier drink for tequila is a Tequila Sunrise.
Simple to make: tequila, orange juice, dash of grenadine (pour in that order)

I never measure, but I'd guess 2x more orange juice then tequila. Very quick and tasty drink. Tough to mess up.
Old 04-29-05, 07:51 AM

Premade margarita mixes are vile. You might do a search on one of the many internet bartending guides for some recipies. My favorite uses tequilla, triple sec, and some sweetened lime juice.
Old 04-29-05, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Numanoid
The thing is, the tequila you get in a margarita in a restaurant is probably worse quality than even Cuervo. It's just that they usually stiff you on the amount of alcohol, so you are much less likely to notice the bad taste. When you made the drink at home, you probably put a good deal more tequila in the mix than you've ever gotten at a restaurant.

That's what it sounds like to me. I use Cuervo Blanco for my margaritas (on the rocks and frozen) - works for me.

Plus you absolutely positively need to use Cointreau instead of a run of the mill Triple Sec (and those crappy pre-mixes).

I agree on the Tequila Sunrise - easy drink to make and tasty.
Old 04-29-05, 10:53 AM

I'm a big fan of margaritas. Not tequila by itself so much, but Herradura is pretty good stuff. Don't know if it's 100% blue agave, or any of that, but it's not cheap. Might want to give it a try.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.