Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

White House evacuated yesterday 4/27

Old 04-28-05, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
White House evacuated yesterday 4/27

news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050427/ap_on_go_pr_wh/white_house_security_5
False Alarm Puts White House on Alert

By TERENCE HUNT, AP White House Correspondent Wed Apr 27, 4:03 PM ET

WASHINGTON -
President Bush was rushed from the Oval Office to an underground shelter and Vice President
Dick Cheney was taken to a secure location Wednesday on fears that an unidentified aircraft had entered restricted space near the White House. Officials said it was a false alarm.
ADVERTISEMENT

The brief scare lasted only a few minutes before officials determined there was no threat, White House counselor Dan Bartlett said.

The incident was sparked by a blip on a radar screen that turned out to be a false alarm and no aircraft actually entered restricted air space, said Brian Roehrkasse, a Homeland Security Department spokesman. Helicopters scrambled to investigate confirmed the lack of errant aircraft, he said.

Secret Service spokesman Jonathan Cherry would say only: "There was a report of a possible violation of restricted air space which has since been cleared."

Some White House staff members were moved out of the West Wing and tourists were rushed from the East Wing and sent to the far side of a park across the street from the compound. Gun-toting Secret Service uniformed officers took up positions around the White House compound.

White House press secretary Scott McClellan said Bush was working in the Oval Office at the time and was taken to the underground bunker. The president was there "a very short amount of time," McClellan said.

Cheney was notified about the scare and taken from the White House to a secure location, McClellan said. The vice president was brought back inside the compound minutes after the situation was resolved.

The last known time Bush was taken to the underground shelter was on the night of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks when security fears prompted officials to move the president and his wife.
news footage showed white uniformed people, I assume SS, with shotguns and an MP5 running around

Old 04-28-05, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by mikehunt
news footage showed white uniformed people, I assume SS
With this administration, it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 04-28-05, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But we're winning the War on Terror. And we're taking the fight overseas so that they can't attack Americans here. So what are they worried about?
Old 04-28-05, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

news footage showed white uniformed people, I assume SS, with shotguns and an MP5 running around
FWIW they are Capitol Police. Although I "believe" they have national jurisdiction I may be wrong.
Old 04-28-05, 09:41 PM
X
Administrator

It didn't appear to be a potential airspace violation. More like a potential landspace violation.
Old 04-28-05, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
did some more checking. according to the picture captions it's SS
here's the site for the uniformed division of the SS
http://www.secretservice.gov/ud.shtml

for the first pic
A uniformed Secret Service officer toting a shotgun stands guard inside the northwest gate of the White House during a security alert, April 27, 2005. The alert was raised on fears that an unidentified aircraft had entered restricted space near the White House, prompting President Bush to move to an underground shelter. The alert lasted a few minutes before officials determined it was a false alarm. Photo by Kevin Lamarque/Reuters
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...4009427684.jpg
Old 04-28-05, 11:35 PM
X
Administrator

Those shotguns are pretty effective against aircraft, aren't they?
Old 04-29-05, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

They really are. What happens, is you shoot your shotgun at a flock of birds, and hope those flock of birds get really crazy like, and fly into the airplane's windshield, thereby blinding your terrorist evil people. However, only SS personnel are properly trained to do this. Anyone else shooting a shotgun into the air is, well, a redneck.
Old 04-29-05, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Numanoid
With this administration, it wouldn't surprise me.
Nice.
Old 04-29-05, 03:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
They really are. What happens, is you shoot your shotgun at a flock of birds, and hope those flock of birds get really crazy like, and fly into the airplane's windshield, thereby blinding your terrorist evil people. However, only SS personnel are properly trained to do this. Anyone else shooting a shotgun into the air is, well, a redneck.
Sean Connery can do it too...
Old 04-29-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

well, they have thought it was a two pronged attack
airplane gets on course to make white house evacuate. terrorists on the ground try to move in and open fire during the chaos

plus there's nothing man portable fired from the immediate area surrounding the WH that would stop an airliner from making a successful attack on the WH
Old 04-29-05, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20050427/ap_on_go_pr_wh/white_house_security_5

The story you quoted in your post told who they were.
Gun-toting Secret Service uniformed officers took up positions around the White House compound.
Old 04-29-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

holy SHIT look at that guys muscles who's speaking to the radio