DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Other Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk-9/)
-   -   anyone been to greece? Do you like gladiator movies? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/other-talk/420507-anyone-been-greece-do-you-like-gladiator-movies.html)

krkuhl 04-28-05 06:46 PM

anyone been to greece? Do you like gladiator movies?

going to greece in june and will have 8 days there... anyone know of the must do or must see stuff? obviously the ruins (parthenon, acropolis) and we want to go to one of the islands. anyone know which is better crete or santorini? heard good stuff about both. any info you can spread this way and why you enjoyed it would be great! neither of us are huge party people-we would rather enjoy the culture in a more laid back relaxed atmosphere--no need for a fantastic night life or anything like that!

devilshalo 04-28-05 06:54 PM

krkuhl in Greece? :eek:

http://www.mgm.com/mgm/images/box-dv..._hires_dvd.jpg

http://www.mreembroidery.com/aaron/smilies/faint.gif

krkuhl 04-28-05 07:21 PM

well, i AM going with my girlfriend....

but she's not that kind of girlfriend. sorry to disappoint :(

DodgingCars 04-28-05 07:30 PM

I've been to Athens, Thessalonica, and Mykonos (sp?). Athens is nicer than I had expected, because so many people had warned that they didn't like it much. Expect a big dirty city, but with some nice people, good food, and cool sight seeing opportunities. The Acropolis was a cool visit. Beware of the gypsies though -- they have various scams, such as putting stuff in your hands or offering something to you as if its a gift and then demanding money and refusing to take back what they give you.

Thessalonica is in the north and I doubt you'd make it up that way and there wasn't a whole lot to see. It spent the day there -- it was a train-stopover on my trip up to Bulgaria.

Mykonos (island) was really cool. We rented scooters and drove around the island which was really nice -- we saw ruins and sheep as we drove through the island's rural area.

I don't know which of the 2 islands is better -- but I've heard good things about Santorini.

Y2K Falcon 04-28-05 08:17 PM

Oh.... I thought you were using a euphemism. Never mind. :blush:

Flashback 04-28-05 09:15 PM

Going to Santorini and Mykanos (sp - me too) in June (plus Italy). I will tell you then.

devilshalo 04-28-05 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by krkuhl
well, i AM going with my girlfriend.... but she's not that kind of girlfriend. sorry to disappoint :(

And somewhere another kitten is saved. -ohbfrank-

;)

costanza 04-28-05 09:45 PM

Lucky!

Roto 04-28-05 10:31 PM

Originally Posted by Flashback
Going to Santorini and Mykanos (sp - me too) in June (plus Italy). I will tell you then.

Santorini looks nice
http://img242.echo.cx/img242/4493/santorini6hj.jpg

paulringodaman 04-28-05 11:22 PM

Go to Santorini.....I am Greek and have been there a couple of times...You will really enjoy it man. It is more of a party area, while Crete is more of a rural type area. There is a navy base at Hanias at Crete and I hear thats fun, although I have never actually been there. Both Crete and Santorini are really really safe, you could sleep in the street without getting harmed...Oh and Athens is wonderful -- huge and dirty -- but still amazing. I don't recommend going up north, there really isn't anything to do there. Have fun. Oh and DO NOT express any love for GWB there!

Duran 04-28-05 11:41 PM

I went in the summer of 2001 for 2 weeks. Went to Thesaloniki (sp?), Athens, Mykonos, Santorini, and Ios. Of those places, Athens was interesting for the history, Ios for the nonstop parties, and Santorini for relaxing. Thesaloniki, while okay, didn't have a whole lot to do for tourists. Mykonos was a tourist trap of the highest order. Everything was more expensive there and not as good.

If you're going to the islands, don't bother making a hotel reservation. Just show up off the boat - there's always tons of people trying to get you to stay at their place for fairly cheap (it was about $20/night for 3 people before the dollar took a dive) and they'll drive you to their place. Don't expect the Ritz, but you can get a clean room with the A/C set to 82 for cheap.

Almost everyone speaks English and 99.5% are friendly and helpful.

Buford T Pusser 04-29-05 12:20 AM

Mrs. Pusser and I went there about 10 years ago. We had a great time and ate like crazy but didn't gain any weight since we walked so damn much. Our ankles were sore for several days.

We started in Athens and then flew to the island of Rhodes. It was our favorite part. Stayed at a B&B that was in the "old city" part. The old part is bordered by a high wall built hundreds of years ago when they were battling the Turks. We also drove around the island and saw some great scenery. We almost ran out of gas when we found there weren't too many gas stations. The last night there we ate at a restaurant that was amazing. One of the best meals we've ever had.

Then we went back to the hustle and bustle of crowded Athens for a few more days.

I'll ask Mrs. P for more specifics as her memory is better than mine and she'd already been there once or twice before we met.

atlantamoi 04-29-05 06:56 AM

Athens and Santorini in '98. Everyone and their mother states that Athens is only worth visiting for one day. I don't know... I REALLY had a great time there. It's a fascinating place... just walking around. We took an overnight boat ride down to Santorini. Gorgeous place. Stay in a hotel on the cliff side and be blown away by the sunset. Rent a mini-bike if you can and ride over to the other side of Santorini and hang on the beach. Go topless! woo hoo

If you have money to burn you might want to fly to Santorini instead of the boat ride.
We arrived exhausted since it was kind of hard to sleep on that boat. Had to waste a few hours napping after we got there.

One thing that I'll never forget in Santorini was the "rich kid" vibe. We were there in early August and there were tons of beautiful college-aged kids. Interesting.

Duran 04-29-05 08:16 AM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Athens and Santorini in '98. Everyone and their mother states that Athens is only worth visiting for one day. I don't know... I REALLY had a great time there. It's a fascinating place... just walking around. We took an overnight boat ride down to Santorini. Gorgeous place. Stay in a hotel on the cliff side and be blown away by the sunset. Rent a mini-bike if you can and ride over to the other side of Santorini and hang on the beach. Go topless! woo hoo

If you have money to burn you might want to fly to Santorini instead of the boat ride.
We arrived exhausted since it was kind of hard to sleep on that boat. Had to waste a few hours napping after we got there.

They have a hydrofoil boat that is significantly faster than the standard boat. That might be a nice compromise.

I spent a day and a half in Athens, and although I enjoyed the experience immensely, I was pretty much done with it.

Personally, I'd stay away from driving any sort of motorized vehicle in Greece. The roads aren't too hot, and the other drivers are absolutely batshit insane. Every 20 yards or so there's a marker on the side of the road commemorating someone who died in an accident.

Flashback 04-29-05 10:45 AM

Everyone and their mother states that Athens is only worth visiting for one day. I don't know... I REALLY had a great time there. It's a fascinating place... just walking around. We took an overnight boat ride down to Santorini. Gorgeous place. Stay in a hotel on the cliff side and be blown away by the sunset. Rent a mini-bike if you can and ride over to the other side of Santorini and hang on the beach. Go topless! woo hoo

I will not be going to Athens, but I have heard the exact same thing as you have.

[note to self] Must go to topless beach in Santorini

nqle57 04-29-05 01:48 PM

I happen to be going in June as well for 19 days. Athens 3 days and I believe mykonos and a few of the other islands. Greece is much more expensive than I thought it would be. The Euro isn't helping either. Is it true that when you use the restoom you don't flush your toilet paper down the drain? You put it in a seperate trash bin?

Gunshy 04-29-05 01:57 PM

I went in '92 and stayed in Athens for a few days but mostly on Skopelos. Great trip. Too bad not going to Athens, you could have eaten at "Eden":

Eden Vegetarean Restaurant

If you are a vegetarean I suggest going to the EDEN Restaurant on the corner of Misicleos and Lissiou streets. To find it just walk down Adrianou towards the Monistiraki flea market, and turn left on Misicleos and walk up the steps. I love their eggplant salad. It's sort of hit and miss. When it's good it's very good. When it's not, it's just OK. But if you are looking for a purely vegetarean restaurant its the best. (and the only).

(from: http://www.greecefoods.com/athensrestaurants.html)

We ate there almost exclusively (yeah, kinda lame but...), great cheap vegetarian fare :)

-Gunshy

atlantamoi 04-29-05 01:59 PM

Originally Posted by nqle57
Is it true that when you use the restoom you don't flush your toilet paper down the drain? You put it in a seperate trash bin?

Doubt that is true in Athens (?), but it could be true in more secluded areas.
I've been to some countries where not only do you have to put the paper in a trash can, but also have to pour a bucket of water in the toilet to force it to flush. Fun!

Duran, that's a good point about avoiding driving in Greece. I was with a friend who is experienced with motorcycles so our rented mini-bike wasn't a big deal while on an island. But the owner of the shop made my friend prove to him he knew what he was doing... had to drive around a bit in front of his shop. I'm pretty sure he tested him because we were Americans.

DodgingCars 04-29-05 02:43 PM

Doubt that is true in Athens (?), but it could be true in more secluded areas.
I've been to some countries where not only do you have to put the paper in a trash can, but also have to pour a bucket of water in the toilet to force it to flush. Fun!

I don't remember if you could in Athens, but I remember that on the Mykonos you could not flush paper.

Also, there are public toilets in Greece that are just holes in the ground with places to plant your feet -- so practice your balance and aim!

:)

Buford T Pusser 04-29-05 09:08 PM

I chose not to use those hole in the ground toilets.

The first I saw such a thing was at the airport in the Ukraine.

Duran 04-29-05 09:58 PM

You can't flush paper anywhere in Greece that I remember. We were thrilled when we had a layover in Vienna and we could actually flush our toilet paper.

littlefuzzy 04-30-05 10:25 AM

Have you ever been to a Turkish prison?

tofu 04-30-05 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
I chose not to use those hole in the ground toilets.

The first I saw such a thing was at the airport in the Ukraine.

You should go to China then. Almost all of the public toilets are like that. And even some of them in the stalls are connected so you see other people's streams or stuff as you do your business.

There's a Greek guy in my office and he likes to going to Crete because he says that it's the perfect mix between partying at night and relaxing during the day.

WillieTheShakes 04-30-05 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Oh.... I thought you were using a euphemism. Never mind. :blush:

I was expecting something along the lines of the classic Betho thread...
Imagine my disappointment.

Greatmuta 04-30-05 05:20 PM

Been to Greece once but way back in 1990. Just stayed in Athens and went to the Acropolis and on a bus tour. Don't remember too much but eveeryone else seems to have some good info.