Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

anyone been to greece? Do you like gladiator movies?

Other Talk "Otterville"

anyone been to greece? Do you like gladiator movies?

Old 04-30-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Never been to Greece, but I do like Gladiator movies. Why, what are you insinuating?
Old 04-30-05, 06:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do you like movies about gladiators?
Old 04-30-05, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Warning --- Do not flush toilet paper-- ANYWHERE..Yes, Athens is civilized but you cannot flush toilet paper down the toilet....Thats as of 2004 in upper class hotels!
Old 03-21-16, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: anyone been to greece? Do you like gladiator movies?

wait...so I started searching topics for athens, as I am in the middle of planning a trip there in may.
What's with this not flushing toilet paper thing?

Is this still a thing? Surely it can't be. Please tell me it's not....

Also...Rome, I haven't seriously started researching Rome yet....
Old 03-21-16, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 147 Likes on 117 Posts

Rick Steves books. Start there. There's also some really good walking tours you can download from him for free that provide all sorts of great stuff. I love Rome. Personal recommendation for a hotel - Hotel Smeraldo. It's right in central Rome and walking distance to some great sights. And get familiar sign the train/bus/subway system in Rome. You can easily get all over the place there.
Old 03-22-16, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I thought Gladiator matches was a Roman invention and Greece was more into Olympic style matches with no killing. I dunno; too lazy to research.
Old 03-22-16, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 162 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan View Post
I thought Gladiator matches was a Roman invention and Greece was more into Olympic style matches with no killing. I dunno; too lazy to research.
I thought the Greeks were into wrestling naked.
Old 03-22-16, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by trespoochies View Post
Rick Steves books. Start there. There's also some really good walking tours you can download from him for free that provide all sorts of great stuff. I love Rome. Personal recommendation for a hotel - Hotel Smeraldo. It's right in central Rome and walking distance to some great sights. And get familiar sign the train/bus/subway system in Rome. You can easily get all over the place there.
I'll check that hotel out, but can you flush your toilet paper down the toilet in that hotel???
Old 03-22-16, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ha, of course. Italy is quite modern when it comes to hotels. You don't need to worry about toilet flushing. Hotel Smeraldo is a 3 minute walk from the Campo de Fiori. Wonderful place to people see. Also, in the Rick Steves book and audio tour, there's a walk called Evening in Rome (or Night in Rome, I forget exactly), that is a 30-45 minute walk that's a neat history lesson of Rome where you walk past a lot of huge sights. It's fun, and there's a lot of gelaterias (ice cream shops) and restaurants. I highly recommend that, if you have a few leasurely evenings. The tour starts around the Campo de Fiori.
Old 03-23-16, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Unless you're a huge history buff, I wouldn't recommend more than three days in Athens (and even that is pushing it).
Old 03-23-16, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dan30oly View Post
I'll check that hotel out, but can you flush your toilet paper down the toilet in that hotel???
Well, I don't remember well, but I'm sure you can flush toilet paper...

Be sure to find a hotel that have your own bathroom in your room. I heard that there are many hotels that have share bathroom on each floor. Lucky, I was able to get a hotel with my own bathroom.
Old 03-23-16, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and I'm not sure what kind of pace you want to go or how long you are going to be in Rome, but it's a great city to take it slow on if you have the time. Just a lot to see and look at. I spent 5 days there and it felt about right. I thin most people feel obligated that that they need to see all of the big stuff there, so I'm not sure if you plan on doing the same thing. But to see all the sights at a leisurely pace, I'd give it 3-4 days. I stayed for 5 and just wandered around in addition to seeing the big sights.
Old 03-23-16, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 162 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly View Post
No, no, no. It's customary to leave your used toilet paper on the floor. In an effort to boost the migrant economy, European countries have started hiring Syrian immigrants to pick it up.
Old 03-23-16, 11:44 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Legend

Received 219 Likes on 157 Posts

If you're in a fancy-ass hotel in Greece, yeah, you can get away with flushing your tp down the toilet. But on the islands, or in smaller places? Be careful. Use the waste bin next to the toilet.

I mean, if it's the kind of place that has a waste bin next to the toilet, it's pretty clear that they have issues with it.
Old 03-23-16, 11:29 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus View Post
Unless you're a huge history buff, I wouldn't recommend more than three days in Athens (and even that is pushing it).
I was planning on taking a bus to Olympia for a couple of days and figured I could find some other day trips.

However, that was before Ricky Gervais decided to announce (earlier today) he was going to be doing stand up in May. Gervais trumps all potential vacation plans and Athens/Rome may have to wait until next year now.
Old 04-04-16, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Rhodes is a wonderful island to visit and not as touristy as many you typically see.