Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Ugh! My allergies are KILLING me!

Old 04-28-05, 08:38 AM
Banned

Ugh! My allergies are KILLING me!

Anyone else having this problem right now? For the last week, haven't been able to breathe a lick! My throat is about 2x it's usual size and i'm sneezing and ugh! Just yucky!

I HATE ALLERGY SEASON!
Old 04-28-05, 08:39 AM
Suspended

Ugh, I'm right there with you. The past few days I've been waking up with just a "gunky" feeling in my throat as I like to call it. All the draining from my nose...the sneezing...the pollen...ugh.
Old 04-28-05, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Every morning and when I mow my yard. And it seems to get worse every year. I'm thinking about turning my entire yard into Japanese Rock Garden, but I think my hoosier neighbors may have a problem w/ that.
Old 04-28-05, 08:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by digitalfreaknyc
Anyone else having this problem right now? For the last week, haven't been able to breathe a lick! My throat is about 2x it's usual size and i'm sneezing and ugh! Just yucky!

I HATE ALLERGY SEASON!

Old 04-28-05, 08:43 AM

Have you tried Claritin? I generally dislike taking drugs/medication of any sort, but I make an exception for this one around this time of the year
Old 04-28-05, 08:47 AM
Banned

Tried Claritin. Doesn't really do much. So now i'm moving on to Benadryl. See what happens with that.

It sucks. We don't even really have TREES or grass or flowers here in nyc.
Old 04-28-05, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Try Tynenol Severe Allergy, seems to work better for me than Claritin or Benadryl.

My eyes are killing me, I need more Patanol.
Old 04-28-05, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Sorry to hear that. Here's a little something to cheer you up.

Old 04-28-05, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Charlie Goose
Sorry to hear that. Here's a little something to cheer you up.

Oh now that's just mean!
Old 04-28-05, 10:00 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Today is a very bad allergy day. I'm on Claritin, which usually works for me, and I'm still sneezing.
Old 04-28-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My partner has allergies and takes Allegra-D but his lungs have been killing him all week (me too cause he snores like a bear-go figure.) I don't have allergies but I've been sneezing like crazy this week.
Old 04-28-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've tried everything but Allegra.

Nothing over the counter works for me. I just finished a bottle of Zyrtec-D and that didn't phase me either. I was still taking 4 Benadryl Allergy pills on top of that, and nothing.

The only thing that ever works for me is regular Zyrtec. It is twice the dosage of the 'D.' Knocks it right out, and no side effects(for me). It sucks though, ever since Claritin went OTC, they bumped the copay on Zyrtec to $50 for 30 pills. Ouch. But, $1 a day is worth it to be able to breathe.
Old 04-28-05, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

try living in the desert. i'm dyin over here!
Old 04-28-05, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nasonex. If you squirt that stuff up your nose, you'll breathe clearer then you ever have before. I believe you need a perscription, but I highly recommend it.
Old 04-28-05, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Allegra-D is where it's at. 5 years ago during my freshmen year in college, I was having some serious problems, coughing, sneezing, sore throat, itchy ears, itchy eyes. Went to the health clinic, they hooked me up, and that really helped. I'd also recommend getting a washcloth, soaking it in hot water, holding it to your nose, and breathing in. Another good idea is to drink plenty of orange juice. Keep your windows closed and don't go outside unless it's absolutely necessary. Those last 2 steps really helped me out my following years in Atlanta and it's never been as bad since then.
Old 04-28-05, 01:34 PM
Banned

So you never went outside unless absolutely necessary?
Old 04-28-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Breathing in steam is also good. Like if you're making macoroni and cheese, put your head over the boiling water before you put in the noodles. For better results, put a towel over your head so it traps all that steam. Good stuff. Looks stupid, and you might drip into the boiling water thus spoiling dinner, but you're head'll clear up.
Old 04-28-05, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

So you never went outside unless absolutely necessary?
honestly? No. Go to work, visiting parents, grocery shopping, etc. The necessities. That's it. On occasion my wife will mow the lawn for me as well, if I'm looking pretty bad. It is only about 6 weeks of the year for me. Only in the springtime. April to mid-May.

A/C helps me immensely.
Old 04-28-05, 03:49 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

nothing worked for me until i tried Allegra. now i'm completely allergy free... unless i forget to take it.
Old 04-28-05, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It sucks. We don't even really have TREES or grass or flowers here in nyc.
There was so much pollen blowing around on 7th Ave today I could have been in a sandstorm. I have no idea where it comes from.

I can deal with the sneezing, but not the itchy eyes. I have these over-the-counter eyedrops I put in whenever my eyes are unbearable, and the itching goes away for hours.
Old 04-28-05, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Claritin 1x per day, every day, year round.
Nasarel nasal spray (rx) 1x per day, allergy seasons (spring/early summer and fall for me) or whenever I have respiratory issues.
The combo of those two medications works 99% of the time to keep me allergy free.

For severe attacks, I also use actifed cold/allergy (Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride (60mg), Triprolidine Hydrochloride (2.5mg)). Stops attacks within 15 min for me. It also does not make me sleepy or jittery like it can affect others. I've found anecdotally that if chlor-trimiton makes you sleepy then sudafed/actifed won't, and vice-versa. Keep in mind that the actifed has pseudoephedrine in it, so it isn't as "safe" as claritin.

My allergist suggested the stacking of the meds (for me) as I described. I thought I had to use only one medication at a time, but she said stacking is fine depending on the medications and the patient. You might want to consider seeing an allergist if you have allergy attacks for a couple of months at a time a few times per year, as I do. By stacking, I avoid allergy shots, as I despise needles.

I used to have horrible attacks for weeks on end where I would sneeze all day and all through the night, my eyes were red and itchy to the extreme, and the roof of my mouth itched so much I thought I'd literally go insane. I would sip slurpees all day because the cold slushy drinks were the only things that would calm my throat so that I could sit through class. Thanks to the wonders of nasarel and claritin, however, those days are behind me. My allergies have been bothering me for about a week now, but I just add in an actifed tablet when I get that itchy feeling on the roof of my mouth, or if I sneeze more than twice, and pretty soon I am back to normal. The last two years have been heaven compared to the entire rest of my life when it comes to controlling my allergies.

I wish you much luck!!!
Old 04-28-05, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did the shots about 7 years ago. 3 injections of the things I was allergic to (tree pollen, ragweed, cat), just under the skin , every week for 1 1/2 years. Went from miserable (with no Rx helping at all) from the end of April through mid-June and mid-August to the first freeze, to about one or two days a year that are really bad. Best thing I ever did.
Old 04-28-05, 08:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, mine are killing me as well. Again, its funny because never had problem with allergies growing up in Florida, but here in NY they drive me insane...I did happen to notice on the news today that tree pollen was extremely high today. Dont know exactly what that means, but sounded good for the topic at hand.
Old 04-28-05, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Anyone else having this problem right now?
Nope.
Old 04-29-05, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yesterday morning I was feeling good, so I thought "I should try getting into shape," and took a brisk walk around the block at 4:00 AM. I want to work up to running again. The walk was only half a mile, easy as can be. It was just supposed to get my body used to the idea of excercising before work.

My asthma kicked in and the inhaler didn't help. I spent the whole work day feeling like there were tight straps around my chest. Every muscle from the base of my skull to my stomach hurt by the time I got home, just from trying to compensate. I got my wife to massage out the worst of it last night, but I'm still plenty sore this morning.

Allergies suck.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.