Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Newly engaged...thoughts on a honeymoon in Puerto Rico?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-27-05, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Our wedding will be in late September or early October, and she has been talking about Puerto Rico recently. I'm open to it, although I know very little about the country. (I'm told the beaches on the west coast are nice.)

Can anyone offer any experiences with specific hotels, locations, attractions, costs, and the like? We'll probably be there for one week (Saturday to Saturday). I estimate my travel budget will be around $2,000 (not including airfare, which is already covered). Thanks!
Old 04-27-05, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

not 100% sure but i think sonic is from there in case you want to look up his email address and email him with some questions in case he doesnt see this thread.
Old 04-27-05, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

isnt that hurricane season?
Old 04-27-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It is hurricane season, but it is hurricane season everywhere, so unless you're going to Hawaii...

Puerto Rico is a nice place for a honeymoon, similar to the Virgin Islands, in that you don't need to worry about traveling "abroad" -- also, it doesn't matter where you stay, because everything is at most two hours away. The south of the island (Ponce, etc.) is nice and dry, and has some gorgeous beaches. The west/central east has some amazing natural things (waterfalls, etc) that are worth a daytrip, but I think the south has better beaches. I don't know too much about the central north area. San Juan is going to be your only option for a large vibrant nightlife, as most other places are just too small if you are outside of your resort.

You can very easily spend two days in the south, two in the west, and three in San Juan and not get bored. Rent a car, as that is the only good way to get around.
Old 04-27-05, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by grrrah
isnt that hurricane season?
Yes it is. I travelled there one year in September. A hurricane had just hit the week before, so we were lucky in that sense. But after our plane landed it was like Cambodia survival training because the island was without water or electricity for a whole week.

If you do go (preferably earlier in the year), you may enjoy just walking the streets of Old San Juan, as well as the beaches, rain forests, and the impressive San Cristobal fort in the surrounding area. You may also want to check out the Arecibo Radio Telescope where scenes from "Contact" and "Goldeneye" were filmed. I would also recommend some guided cave tours.

Definitely a lot to do.
Old 04-27-05, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It is hurricane season so possibly consider Aruba instead since it's out of the hurricane belt.
Old 04-27-05, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

There's nothing like having great sex in the middle of a Hurricane. Tsunami? I'd pass on that one for now.
Old 04-27-05, 08:28 PM

Watch out for the chupacabras.
Old 04-28-05, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Hurricane season doesn't faze us. I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale, and she grew up in southern Louisiana.