Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Florida to allow use of force even outside home

Old 04-26-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Florida to allow use of force even outside home

http://www.cnn.com/2005/US/04/05/deadly.force.ap/

'Good, common sense, anti-crime issue'
Tuesday, April 5, 2005 Posted: 8:04 PM EDT (0004 GMT)

TALLAHASSEE, Florida (AP) -- Gov. Jeb Bush said Tuesday he intends to sign a bill that would allow people who feel threatened -- even on the street or at a baseball game -- to "meet force with force" and defend themselves without fear of prosecution.

The measure, the top priority of the National Rifle Association in Florida this year, passed the House 94-20 on Tuesday. It had already passed the Senate.

Bush, who has championed tougher penalties for people convicted of using guns in crimes, said the bill is about self-defense and called it "a good, common sense, anti-crime issue."

The measure essentially extends a right Floridians already have in their home or car. Under present law, however, people attacked anywhere else are supposed to do what they can to avoid escalating the situation and can use deadly force only after they've tried to retreat.

"I'm sorry, people, but if I'm attacked I shouldn't have a duty to retreat," said the bill's sponsor, state Rep. Dennis Baxley. "That's a good way to get shot in the back."

Baxley said that if people have the clear right to defend themselves without having to worry about legal consequences, criminals will think twice.

Opponents feared the bill would make Florida resemble the wild West, but defenders say it is no different from what most other states allow in laws governing self-defense.

The bill says a person has "the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so, to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another."

It will be interesting to see how this law changes defense in court. I like it and I don't like it at the same time. With a lack of witnesses, someone could now come up and punch you, you punch back, they shoot you and claim self defense and get off 100%. Then on the other hand, if you carry, you can defend yourself anywhere with less fear of being lccked up for 25 years.
Old 04-26-05, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Note to self: DO NOT begin career as a neighborhood bully in Florida...
Old 04-26-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This about the only redeeming quality of Jeb and his state.
Old 04-26-05, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk God

I think you should have to sing show tunes while being threatened. That hasn't made it out of the Senate yet, but I'll keep fighting.
Old 04-26-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

kvrdave 2008!
Old 04-26-05, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'd love to see something like this in my state but it will never happen in liberal NJ.
No carry permits for us, and if I ever did have to use deadly force even in my own home I would be subject to a civil suit that would ruin my life.

NJ: where only law enforcement and criminals are allowed to carry firearms.
The rest of us are granted automatic victim status.
Old 04-26-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
kvrdave 2008!
But only if Bando runs with him.
Old 04-26-05, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by 4KRG
It will be interesting to see how this law changes defense in court. I like it and I don't like it at the same time. With a lack of witnesses, someone could now come up and punch you, you punch back, they shoot you and claim self defense and get off 100%. Then on the other hand, if you carry, you can defend yourself anywhere with less fear of being lccked up for 25 years.
I don't think the law would work like that. Even in states already without a retreat requirement, lethal force is only allowed if you're faced with death or serious bodily injury. A punch wouldn't work.

A knife attack would, as that would definitely classify as lethal force. Under current law, if you were attacked on the street with a knife, you would be under a duty to retreat if at all possible before you would be allowed to use deadly force. The problem is that determining whether it was possible to retreat isn't always clear, and your judgment can pretty easily be second guessed by the police/prosecutors.

Now, a knife attack would allow you to defend yourself with appropriate force (in this case, lethal). Some states never did have a duty to retreat in the first place, so this isn't exactly a new concept.

I read an early draft of this law, and they maintained the normal provisions about not allowing original aggressors to claim self-defense, so it's not like you can start a fight, wait till they punch back, and shoot them.
Old 04-26-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
self defense is a god/creator/nature/big bang given right
Old 04-26-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
, so it's not like you can start a fight, wait till they punch back, and shoot them.

Ah Cptn Marvel lives in a perfect world where people don't lie and distort the truth to get what they want.

Trust me, I am pro gun, conceal carry, and everything else. I think this law may be good, but am just a little unsure of all the angles that can be played, that's all. I have seen people get played in the legal system for less.
Old 04-26-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I bet this is Jeb's attempt to get hundreds, possibly thousands of more vegetable-state patients in hospitals. Kudos!
Old 04-26-05, 09:35 PM

So three weeks ago:

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=417501
Old 04-26-05, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope they pass it. If someone tries to break into my house, I'd have no problem shooting them.

Anyone know a good place to buy a Sig Saur .45? (I can't afford it right now...but it is on my to-do list)

-pedagogue
Old 04-26-05, 09:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
I read an early draft of this law, and they maintained the normal provisions about not allowing original aggressors to claim self-defense, so it's not like you can start a fight, wait till they punch back, and shoot them.
Exactly. But the problem is, that if I start a fight with you, wait until you hit back, it's in my best interest to shoot you.

Why? Because I can claim that you started it and I was defending myself. By my killing you, I don't have to worry about what you're going to say.
Old 04-26-05, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pedagogue
Anyone know a good place to buy a Sig Saur .45? (I can't afford it right now...but it is on my to-do list)

-pedagogue
Check your local gunshop.
I have a Sig 229 in .40, the good thing about that is that you can swap out the barrel to shoot .357 Sig
Old 04-26-05, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope other states follow suit.
Old 04-26-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Phil L.
Check your local gunshop.
I have a Sig 229 in .40, the good thing about that is that you can swap out the barrel to shoot .357 Sig
Nifty.

I am probably a couple years off (because of money, time to take a course, practice, etc), but I will definately keep that in mind.

I don't want to derail this conversation, and I also understand Geoff's preference for avoiding gun talk...so back on topic we go!!

Are there any states that have similar laws to what is being proposed?

-pedagogue
Old 04-26-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

RE: Florida to allow use of force even outside home

Isn't there a Star Wars Subforum yet?
Old 04-26-05, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Isn't there a Star Wars Subforum yet?
Maybe
Old 04-27-05, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
depending on the crime NY does not require retreat in public, and does not require retreat when in your house
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/nycodes/c82/a12.html
Old 04-27-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

What the Jedi do in their own homes is their business. But taking it to the streets becomes a public manner and we have to determine whether it's infringing on the rights of their fellow citizens.
Old 04-27-05, 01:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Thor Simpson
What the Jedi do in their own homes is their business. But taking it to the streets becomes a public manner and we have to determine whether it's infringing on the rights of their fellow citizens.
Thats easy don't miss.
Old 04-27-05, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk God

My opinion hasn't changed since the thread we had on this a couple weeks: won't make a difference in crime, positive or negative. Smells like feel good legislation to me.
Old 04-27-05, 01:52 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
But only if Bando runs with him.
I'd bring in the non-cable-watching pro-naked-dancing vote.
Old 04-27-05, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by naughty jonny
Exactly. But the problem is, that if I start a fight with you, wait until you hit back, it's in my best interest to shoot you.

Why? Because I can claim that you started it and I was defending myself. By my killing you, I don't have to worry about what you're going to say.
Again, you can't shoot somebody for merely hitting you, typically.

Anyway, what you're claiming is a problem with self defense law in general... not this law in particular. There's always been a chance that the aggressor will try to pass himself of as a defender. This particular law applies out in public places. In most places (and Florida I believe) this "no retreat" rule has been in effect for years. I would think the dangers of "self defense fabrication" would be greater in a private dwelling than in public anyway, since there's at least a greater likelihood of witnesses in public.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.