Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Woman will likely not be charged with child neglect

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-26-05, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY

www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050426/1049722.asp
The mother is expected to be charged with cruelty to animals for failing to provide her cats food, water or fresh air. But both county and city police officials said it doesn't appear likely the mother will be criminally charged with improper child care.
the original story
www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20050424/1054614.asp
Two malnourished youngsters removed from squalid conditions
By SANDRA TAN and GENE WARNER
News Staff Reporters
4/24/2005
Two malnourished children living in garbage and cat waste were removed from a Newton Street home in Buffalo on Friday after police got a call from a neighbor saying the children were truant and an 11-year-old was walking down the street with an open beer.

"It was sad, really sad," said Buffalo animal control officer Chuck Loubert. "The poor kids, they hadn't eaten for a week or a week and a half. The little girl, her arms were a little bigger than a broomstick."

Following the 911 call early Friday afternoon, Buffalo Police and Child Protective Services spent six hours at the house. Animal control was called in after 27 cats were discovered in the home.

Loubert and several police officers at the scene felt so bad about the children's condition that they took up a quick collection. One of the officers then went to a fast-food restaurant to buy them some burgers, fries and drinks.

"The conditions in the house were just unbelievable," Loubert said. "The food was rotted in the refrigerator. The litter boxes were overfilled. The kitchen sink was piled up with dirty dishes. And the cat feces had been there for months and months."

The ammonia-like smell from the cat urine was overpowering, and the officers had to keep their distance from the children because of the severity of their head lice. Aside from the cat waste, the home was extremely hot and strewn with litter. The bathrooms didn't have any toilet paper and the food in the refrigerator was coated in mold, Loubert said.

"The kids had no beds," he said. "They were sleeping on couches in the attic."

The two children, an 11-year-old boy and 13-year-old girl, reportedly rarely left the house. The children also apparently have a 16-year-old sister who wasn't at home at the time, Loubert said.

Police did not release the names of any of the family members and said Saturday that Child Protective Services is investigating the matter. Loubert said the mother will be charged with cruelty to animals. It was unclear Saturday whether any other criminal charges would be filed.

The cats, all of which were flea-ridden, were removed from the home. One was euthanized Saturday because it was so sick, Loubert said.

The two younger children are currently staying with a former foster parent who took them in for free in an unofficial capacity so that they wouldn't be sent to a shelter. Social Services Commissioner Michael Weiner said he heard the mother and 16-year-old daughter are staying at a shelter.

St. Augustine's Center is the preventative services agency responsible for working with this family, Weiner said. On Monday, he said, he plans to find out what happened in this family's case.

Foster parent Suzanne Hunter, who is temporarily caring for the children, told WIVB TV-Channel 4 Saturday that she believed the children's plight is a result of cuts to the Erie County Department of Social Services.

Weiner responded, however, that he is not yet convinced that is the case. St. Augustine's Center was cut by a relatively small amount - $15,000 out of a $180,000 budget this year, he said. In addition, no cuts were made to Social Services' foster care program.

"I'm not so sure this is directly related to budget cuts," Weiner said. "There may have been worker judgment that was at play here."
Old 04-26-05, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Who's responsible?

I can't believe this. Yet another case where parents are automatically held to no responsibility.
Old 04-26-05, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Giambra added that, as a parent, he was "horrified" at the home conditions described in media accounts. County officials will be talking further with the Buffalo police to see whether any child neglect charges may be appropriate, he said.

Weiner said he has received conflicting reports regarding the condition of the Newton Street home and the condition of the children, suggesting that both were in better shape than initially reported.
Sounds like it may be media exaggeration or that charges may still be filed.

Pretty horrible story.
Old 04-26-05, 05:46 PM

Sterilization!

Chris
Old 04-26-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Cat feces. Mmmmmmmmm, boy!
Old 04-26-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
the DA in a radio interview said "some of the cats were kittens, there were fresh litters. So just a few days before this it might have only been 6 cats"
like that justifies not charging this skank
sadly, buffalo has at least one of these "living in their own feces/filth" stories a year
Old 04-27-05, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Cruelty to animals, but not cruelty to children
Old 04-27-05, 08:06 AM

I charge this thread with "Subject Header Neglect."
Old 04-27-05, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I would want to know more about why things got the way they were before charging her for anything since it sounds like she might have some pretty serious mental problems. But I do think she should have all kids and cats sent to better homes.

**added later after I thought about this: Just to make sure that the kids are not sent back to her without a heck of a lot of thought and supervision, she probably should be charged (even though I think it sounds like a mental/psychiatric problem).

Last edited by tasha99; 04-30-05 at 07:25 PM.
Old 04-30-05, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

good news. the DA got his head out of his ass, at least partially
http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial...30/1050589.asp
Mother charged in neglect of children
31 cats, squalid conditions found in Newton St. home

By SANDRA TAN
News Staff Reporter
4/30/2005
The mother of two children living in a squalid Buffalo home with 31 cats was arrested Friday morning and charged with two counts of child endangerment and another count of animal cruelty.

Susan Kile was arraigned on the misdemeanors and released on her own recognizance Friday afternoon - the latest development in a case that has pitted human services personnel against law enforcement officials regarding the severity of the children's health and living conditions.

"Obviously, somebody isn't telling somebody the true set of facts," said District Attorney Frank Clark.

According to officials with the Buffalo Police, city animal control and housing inspection officers, Kile's Newton Street home was found last Friday littered with cat waste, reeking of urine and filled with garbage.

Police said the 11-year-old boy was reported by neighbors and his own 13-year-old sister to be a smoker who has been seen outside with an open beer. Both children were reported by police and animal control officials as underweight and infested with head lice.

Photos taken of the house by animal control and police personnel support many of their assertions regarding living conditions. They showed cat feces on the kitchen floor, tall piles of garbage in the upstairs rooms, scattered clothing and toiletries, mold in the refrigerator, large wall stains, squalid bathrooms and heavily soiled bed linens.

Futures Academy, the children's school, confirmed the boy had missed 83 days of school this school year, said police Lt. Gail Allen. The young sister had missed 46 days of school, 22 of which were "excused" because of a note from the mother.

Besides the two children, a 16-year-old daughter lives at the house and has missed 80 days of school, Allen added.

Both younger children had head lice and lacked clean underwear and clothing, police and city officials said. Their mother had been given a prescription from the school to treat the children's recurring condition, but it hadn't been refilled, Allen said.

County and school officials still maintain that "the system did not fail" this family.

Buffalo Public Schools spokesman Andrew Maddigan said all the proper truancy procedures were followed. Phone calls and letters were sent home, and an attempt at a home visit was made. The school system also contacted Social Services and filed court paperwork in March to try to get the children back in class.

Social Services Commissioner Michael Weiner said he was disappointed the police arrested Kile. He said he has seen little evidence to suggest the children were in poor health or living in extreme conditions.

On Monday, he held an emergency meeting with a Child Protection Services worker and members of St. Augustine's Center - the agency primarily responsible for following up with this family for the past few months.

Both contradicted claims by city and police personnel, he said. Photos taken by agency officials, presumably St. Augustine's, also do not suggest the house is anything other than messy, Weiner said.

A medical evaluation of the children, conducted this week, also showed they were not malnourished nor did they have head lice. The kitchen pantry also had food, Weiner said. "There seems to be lot of discrepancy between what was reported to the media and presented publicly, and what we're actually finding." Allen responded, "I know what I saw. I know what I smelled."

The children were cleaned up and treated for lice soon after they were found, she added.

Lynette Reda, the Buffalo City Court bureau chief for the district attorney's office, said Clark's office did not initially plan to prosecute this case because of an eyewitness account by Anthony R. Noble, senior Child Protection Services worker.

Reda said Noble told her and other members of her office that the house had "no garbage, no feces, the refrigerator is fine and the floors are clean." He also told her that there were "no signs of cats" in the house, she said, despite photos showing filled litter boxes and feces on the floors. Noble could not be reached to comment.

"It's amazing to me that CPS could be involved in this and say this is acceptable," Reda said.

The children's father, William R. Kile, is in jail, police said. He has been arrested seven times for driving while intoxicated and was arrested again in July 2003 for supplying beer to 15-year-olds in the park.

Susan Kile was described by city housing officials as a single, working mother who was overwhelmed by her situation.

Officials said the two younger children were back in school this week and a Social Services plan has been drawn up to better support the family.
Old 04-30-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

DVD P: "Fucking with your children's lives gets you a misdemeanor?"

Judge: "No, she gets TWO missies. And don't swear in my courtroom."

DVD P: "Uhuh. Oh. Well then. That's better. Let JUSTICE be done!"
Old 04-30-05, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Damn, sounds like CPS is trying to cover their collective asses on this one... despite police photos that contradict what CPS is reporting.

I just hope the kids are gonna be okay.
Old 04-30-05, 08:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

"It was sad, really sad," said Buffalo animal control officer Chuck Loubert. "The poor kids, they hadn't eaten for a week or a week and a half. The little girl, her arms were a little bigger than a broomstick."

Old 04-30-05, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather