Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Creepy Agent Orange Kid (pics inside)

Old 04-25-05, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Creepy Agent Orange Kid (pics inside)

Found this on Yahoo. Pretty damn creepy.

Xuan Minh, 3, looks out from his bed at the Tu Du Hospital in Ho Chi Min city on Friday March 25,2005, suffering from what is believed to be the effects of the jungle defoliant Agent Orange, used heavily in the region by the U.S. armed forces during the Vietnam War. Vietnam celebrates the end of hostilities on April 30, 2005, marking 30 years since war in Vietnam ended. (AP Photo/Richard Vogel)
Old 04-25-05, 06:39 PM
Suspended

This is sad that you find it funny to make fun of little conehead kids, I am appauld.
Old 04-25-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Am I the only one here that thinks this is a bad photochop job??
Old 04-25-05, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

he looks surprised.

I think it's pretty sad that the US is responsible for shit like this all over the world.
Old 04-25-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Wooderson
This is sad that you find it funny to make fun of little conehead kids, I am appauld.
I guess I missed where I made fun of him or implied that it was funny.
Old 04-25-05, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
No Kitty, you're not alone on that one.
Old 04-25-05, 07:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

At least you weren't making fun of burning children in a mobile home. The guy who did that was just evil. Evil I tell yah.
Old 04-25-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Kittydreamer
Nope.

The lighting is all wrong on his face. Look at the shadows from the crib. They're slightly to the right of the crib. The sun is coming in from the left of the picture.

That would make his face lighter on the left side and slightly darker on the right. Also with the lighting, the shadow on the left is way too dark to begin with. The face would be more evenly lit-up than that.

Oh, and the kid doesn't cast a shadow at all.

Last edited by WhoGirl; 04-25-05 at 07:27 PM. Reason: To further explain what's wrong with the picture...
Old 04-25-05, 07:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, those two pics look real. But not the one that was originally posted. That kind of kills some of the credibility, if you know what I mean.

Still, it's sad if that is still happening after 30 years. But, and not to sound mean or anything, but the other two pics you linked look like other kinds of birth defects that happen all over the world. It could be agent orange, but with an obvious photoshop as one of the pics... could be a story meant to enrage people about the Vietnam war, and in turn, get pissed at the current war. But...

Who knows? But that photoshopped one makes the whole story a bit fishy.
Old 04-25-05, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

That doesn't necessarily have to be photoshopped. The kid doesn't have a shadow because there was no flash used on the camera that took the picture. If there was a flash used, you would see it on the background tile. Also, there could be multiple light sources from windows, which appears to be the case. Also, you could have reflections of light from medical devices.

I've seen images that looked photoshopped, because of the weird lighting, and were real.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 04-25-05 at 08:13 PM.
Old 04-25-05, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

... when Pengus protest!
Old 04-25-05, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by WhoGirl
Nope.

The lighting is all wrong on his face. Look at the shadows from the crib. They're slightly to the right of the crib. The sun is coming in from the left of the picture.

That would make his face lighter on the left side and slightly darker on the right. Also with the lighting, the shadow on the left is way too dark to begin with. The face would be more evenly lit-up than that.

Oh, and the kid doesn't cast a shadow at all.
no - there are two light sources... one is coming from the right and one is coming from the left and behind the camera... the shadows you're seeing from the crib on the wall are from that light source, but the brighter light - most likely sunlight - is coming from the far right - you can see shadows from the crib bars on the pillow... you can't see his shadow because you can't see the surface he's sitting on.
Old 04-25-05, 08:19 PM
Premium Member

eesh, a search on the hospital name turned up:

Old 04-25-05, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Beeengo!
Old 04-25-05, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
http://www.lewispublishing.com/orange.htm
Agent Orange was a 50-50 mix of two chemicals, known conventionally as 2,4,D and 2,4,5,T. The combined product was mixed with kerosene or diesel fuel and dispersed by aircraft, vehicle, and hand spraying. An estimated 19 million gallons of Agent Orange were used in South Vietnam during the war.

The earliest health concerns about Agent Orange were about the product's contamination with TCDD, or dioxin. TCDD is one of a family of dioxins, some found in nature, and are cousins of the dibenzofurans and pcb's.

The TCDD found in Agent Orange is thought to be harmful to man. In laboratory tests on animals, TCDD has caused a wide variety of diseases, many of them fatal. TCDD is not found in nature, but rather is a man-made and always unwanted byproduct of the chemical manufacturing process. The Agent Orange used in Vietnam was later found to be extremely contaminated with TCDD.
and that first pic still looks photochopped. looks like he was super imposed onto the background
Old 04-25-05, 08:52 PM
DVD Talk God

You gotta' admit, though....he was great in Hellboy.
Old 04-25-05, 09:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few more pics here:

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/english...ent_303315.htm

Hoa (R) and Nhon, both born with stunted limbs and 12 fingers, stand at their front door at their home in Dong Ha, north of Hue in central Viet Nam, February 4, 2004. Three Vietnamese who say they or their families became ill from Agent Orange defoliant used by the United States in the war nearly 30 years ago have filed the first lawsuit against makers of the product, a victims group said. [Reuters]

A girl born without eyes sits in a cot at the Peace Village at Tu Du hospital in Ho Chi Minh City February 3, 2004. [Reuters]

A Vietnamese girl with no arms reads using her feet to hold a book at the Peace Village in Tu Du hospital February 3, 2004. The hospital's chef de service Doctor Ng Thi Phuong Tan suspects many of the children are deformed in the womb due to exposure to Agent Orange. Two-thirds of the children at the Peace Village are from areas that were heavily sprayed by the highly toxic defoilant during the Viet Nam War. [Reuters]

Anyway, I need to see more than some deformed Vietnamese kids for me to believe that their deformaties were due to Agent Orange. Let's face it, I'm sure Vietnamese hazardous waste disposal practices are not up to US standards. And where hazardous waste is placed in the vicinity of pregnant women, all sorts of strange things happen, things like this.

Last edited by Heat; 04-25-05 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-25-05, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

http://www.snopes.com/photos/medical/orange.asp

Looks like snopes says it's undetermined, but the photog that took the pics apparently has taken agent orange effect pics before.

So I guess it's true. Sad and creepy at the same time.
Old 04-25-05, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Heat
Anyway, I need to see more than some deformed Vietnamese kids for me to believe that their deformaties were due to Agent Orange. Let's face it, I'm sure Vietnamese hazardous waste disposal practices are not up to US standards. And where hazardous waste is placed in the vicinity of pregnant women, all sorts of strange things happen, things like this.
You bring up a good point. I remember reading a study where it was said there was an average of 18kg a year dispersed over areas in South Vietnam. This added up to about 1.6ppm. Well, in Times Beach, Missouri, we had 33.0ppm and 5.0ppm in Seveso, Italy.

Also, pesticides have been used for several decades to allow food crops to grow in proportion the expanding populations of South Vietnam. An average 5 applications per crop have been cited. Pesticide handling is rather primitive, if non-existent altogether.

In addition, it is widely-known but not discussed, that tons of chemicals are smuggled into the country every year, such as rat poisons and weight stimulants and insecticides in general, because they are cheaper and poorer families buy them.

Personally, I doubt Agent Orange is as bad as some may say it is.
Old 04-25-05, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Cow
eesh, a search on the hospital name turned up:

I know this is really awful, but this picture makes me think of this:

I can't help it.
Old 04-25-05, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk God

This is what I thought of

We bring teh suck.
Old 04-25-05, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Oh my... thats some real harsh shit to go through.
Old 04-26-05, 12:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually I was thinking of circus freaks -- or the scene from Toy Story where the mangled / tortured toys come to help Buzz.

By the way, whatever happened to Times Beach? I drove by it when going to Rolla in the late 80s / early 90s and know the basics behind it (Russell Bliss laying down PCB contaminated oil on the streets - town evacuated). Didn't they try to incinerate the soils sometime in the mid 90s?

Last edited by Heat; 04-26-05 at 12:51 AM.
Old 04-26-05, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nickdawgy
...Looks like snopes says it's undetermined...
Speaking of Snopes, did you see the little girl who had a siamese head attached to her (basically the head only)?

http://www.snopes.com/photos/medical/maged.asp

Now that's freaky.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.