Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

This might explain why a lot of people hate their boss.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

This might explain why a lot of people hate their boss.

Old 04-23-05, 04:56 PM
  #1  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 28,961
This might explain why a lot of people hate their boss.

Is your boss a psychopath?

Maybe, and there might be more to this perception than ressentment from the fact that he is the boss, and you are the employee. Two researchers at Surrey University in England have discovered that, out of 11 personality disorders, 3 were more frequent in managers than in disturbed criminals.

1. Histrionic tendencies
- Superficial, insincere, egocentric, manipulative.

2. Narcicism
- Grandstanding, lack of empathy, exploitation of others.

3. Compulsive behavior
- Perfectionist, rigid, pig-headedness, dictatorial tendencies.

Might explain why so many people think their boss is an asshat.
eXcentris is offline  
Old 04-23-05, 04:58 PM
  #2  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Because Scott1598
Posts: 5,646
That's good stuff and yes, my boss is an asshole who fits ALL the above.
Rival11 is offline  
Old 04-23-05, 05:37 PM
  #3  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MI
Posts: 25,041
AT my firm, those were prerequisites for promotion. If you didn't already have those skills, you had to acquire them (or at least fake them).
OldDude is offline  
Old 04-23-05, 06:13 PM
  #4  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 21,544
I saw a story about that in some business magazine last year. Corporate execs like having convincing liars in the sales department.
Nick Danger is offline  
Old 04-23-05, 06:24 PM
  #5  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,145
Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?
Hiro11 is offline  
Old 04-23-05, 06:36 PM
  #6  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Posts: 4,030
Sometimes I just space out for a while...
Alvis is offline  
Old 04-23-05, 09:53 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: livin' large in the six one four
Posts: 602
this might make you feel better

WhackYourBoss

I still haven't found what #12 is yet.
Judge Smails is offline  
Old 04-23-05, 10:17 PM
  #8  
DVD Talk Hero
 
JasonF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Washington, DC
Posts: 39,063
Originally Posted by Judge Smails
this might make you feel better

WhackYourBoss

I still haven't found what #12 is yet.
I found #12!

Spoiler:
It's the Coat Hook
JasonF is offline  
Old 04-23-05, 11:15 PM
  #9  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: livin' large in the six one four
Posts: 602
Originally Posted by JasonF
I found #12!

Spoiler:
It's the Coat Hook
Thanks!
Judge Smails is offline  
Old 04-23-05, 11:25 PM
  #10  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,766
i really think that being a boss and being a jerk are correlated in the fact that people who tend to get to that level have higher rates of rudeness and overall not-giving-a-shit-what-you-think-ness. i dont know the proper scientific terms for that but it just seems that way. people who are more like taht are more likely to become bosses. its not necessarily they are more qualified or possess great boss skills (many do not obviously) but rather they are able to put themselves in positions to move up because of their attitude and mentality.

people who are nicer and laid back and less confrontational are less likely to move up because they lack that aggressive behavior needed to show yourself up.

im sure many bosses are cool but i think many are like how i described.

i worked at a place where supervisors were promoted NOT based on skills, education, or being qualified but rather those who didnt give a shit what people thought and would be able to control people below them and basically tell them to shutup and get to work. most people who worked there were basically nice but never were promoted. why? because people who did the promoting wanted people that they knew could "control" the rest. people who could keep everyone in line and those happen to be people who were more rude, more direct and just didnt care what others thought.

like george says "well the jerk store called - they are running out of you!"
atari2600 is offline  
Old 04-23-05, 11:26 PM
  #11  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,766
(and i know this doesnt belong here but where are all my forum buttons - i cant edit posts i cant create new threads...all the buttons are gone...help!)
atari2600 is offline  
Old 04-23-05, 11:54 PM
  #12  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Max Bottomtime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: Torrance, California
Posts: 4,463
When my Dad died in 1996 I had to go to Texas for his funeral on a Wednesday. My boss asked me to see if they could postpone it until Saturday so I wouldn't miss any work.
Max Bottomtime is offline  
Old 04-24-05, 12:11 AM
  #13  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 8,572
Originally Posted by eXcentris
1. Histrionic tendencies
- Superficial, insincere, egocentric, manipulative.

2. Narcicism
- Grandstanding, lack of empathy, exploitation of others.

3. Compulsive behavior
- Perfectionist, rigid, pig-headedness, dictatorial tendencies.
It makes perfect sense these qualities would be found in bosses mostly.

1)If someone is manipulative, they'll get others to do what the want.

2) This builds of #1. If a boss exploits others he'll get stuff done (well others will get it done, but he'll take credit.) Which contributes to the grandstanding.

3) This one to me is the minor of these three "sins." Honestly, do you want someone who is agreeable but unfocused on details? No, perfectionists get the job done right. It may make them unbearable to work with, but as far as managment is concerned, the final product is the #1 concern.
Brain Stew is offline  
Old 04-24-05, 06:24 AM
  #14  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: MI
Posts: 25,041
Originally Posted by atari2600

i worked at a place where supervisors were promoted NOT based on skills, education, or being qualified but rather those who didnt give a shit what people thought and would be able to control people below them and basically tell them to shutup and get to work. most people who worked there were basically nice but never were promoted. why? because people who did the promoting wanted people that they knew could "control" the rest. people who could keep everyone in line and those happen to be people who were more rude, more direct and just didnt care what others thought.
Bosses are judged entirely by the metric of how much work they get out of the group, and how much they can lower the cost of delivering that output.

In some jobs, the boss is a "working boss," he personally still does work similar to others in the group, in other cases he administers and manages. In the first case technical competence is important. In the second, it is NOT directly correlated to group output, although it might be helpful in the training of other employees.

There is a time when every boss needs to "kick ass and take names" and he better be able to do it. Some bosses are one dimensional and can only do that, others recognize that there are times when a "kinder, gentler approach" gets more output. No matter his style, a boss is judged and rewarded for getting a lot of output from the group at low cost, and his focus is there, not your wellbeing (unless it promotes output).
OldDude is offline  
Old 04-24-05, 02:41 PM
  #15  
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: 416/519
Posts: 235
Originally Posted by atari2600
(and i know this doesnt belong here but where are all my forum buttons - i cant edit posts i cant create new threads...all the buttons are gone...help!)
I had the same problem... and then I realized the pictures were being blocked by a filter I had set in Adblock (Firefox).
RevolverOcelot is offline  
Old 04-24-05, 06:46 PM
  #16  
DVD Talk Godfather
 
DVD Polizei's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 51,905
Actually, this explains why some people shoot their boss.
DVD Polizei is offline  
Old 04-24-05, 07:00 PM
  #17  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
Doesn't suprise me.

The difference with those symptoms and 'most' bosses...is that they aren't clinically significant and don't cause impairment in one or more 'life areas' such as work, etc. There are other criteria for each disorder that make it impairing in one way or another. I don't disagree that some of those symptoms are good for business.

-pedagogue
NotThatGuy is offline  
Old 04-24-05, 07:18 PM
  #18  
DVD Talk Hero
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Montreal, Canada
Posts: 28,961
I'm quite certain that a lot of bosses suffer from multiple personnality disorder. My ex boss was a total control freak dictator at work but a funny and personable guy outside of work.
eXcentris is offline  
Old 04-24-05, 08:31 PM
  #19  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Words
Posts: 28,207
Originally Posted by eXcentris
I'm quite certain that a lot of bosses suffer from multiple personnality disorder. My ex boss was a total control freak dictator at work but a funny and personable guy outside of work.
Not quite the right term, but we can roll with it.

-pedagogue
NotThatGuy is offline  
Old 04-25-05, 11:49 AM
  #20  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: North Carolina (in two weeks!)
Posts: 455
Originally Posted by Judge Smails
this might make you feel better

WhackYourBoss

I still haven't found what #12 is yet.
They've added a 13th one. Now this is a good timewaster.
redinger is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 04:38 PM
  #21  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Posts: 7,766
i just read an article on msn.com talking about what i was talking about a few weeks ago - nice guys finish last in the job workplace because they dont have the certian attitude to put themselves first and move ahead...but i cant find that article anymore for some reason. anyone got the url?

Originally Posted by atari2600
i really think that being a boss and being a jerk are correlated in the fact that people who tend to get to that level have higher rates of rudeness and overall not-giving-a-shit-what-you-think-ness. i dont know the proper scientific terms for that but it just seems that way. people who are more like taht are more likely to become bosses. its not necessarily they are more qualified or possess great boss skills (many do not obviously) but rather they are able to put themselves in positions to move up because of their attitude and mentality.

people who are nicer and laid back and less confrontational are less likely to move up because they lack that aggressive behavior needed to show yourself up.

im sure many bosses are cool but i think many are like how i described.

i worked at a place where supervisors were promoted NOT based on skills, education, or being qualified but rather those who didnt give a shit what people thought and would be able to control people below them and basically tell them to shutup and get to work. most people who worked there were basically nice but never were promoted. why? because people who did the promoting wanted people that they knew could "control" the rest. people who could keep everyone in line and those happen to be people who were more rude, more direct and just didnt care what others thought.

like george says "well the jerk store called - they are running out of you!"
atari2600 is offline  
Old 05-02-05, 04:51 PM
  #22  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 8,572
I think its really a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease. When it comes time to promote, those who are more visible have a real advantage.
Brain Stew is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.