Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

This might explain why a lot of people hate their boss.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Old 04-23-05, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is your boss a psychopath?

Maybe, and there might be more to this perception than ressentment from the fact that he is the boss, and you are the employee. Two researchers at Surrey University in England have discovered that, out of 11 personality disorders, 3 were more frequent in managers than in disturbed criminals.

1. Histrionic tendencies
- Superficial, insincere, egocentric, manipulative.

2. Narcicism
- Grandstanding, lack of empathy, exploitation of others.

3. Compulsive behavior
- Perfectionist, rigid, pig-headedness, dictatorial tendencies.

Might explain why so many people think their boss is an asshat.
Old 04-23-05, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That's good stuff and yes, my boss is an asshole who fits ALL the above.
Old 04-23-05, 05:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

AT my firm, those were prerequisites for promotion. If you didn't already have those skills, you had to acquire them (or at least fake them).
Old 04-23-05, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw a story about that in some business magazine last year. Corporate execs like having convincing liars in the sales department.
Old 04-23-05, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, there's good news and bad news. The bad news is that Neil will be taking over both branches, and some of you will lose your jobs. Those of you who are kept on will have to relocate to Swindon, if you wanna stay. I know, gutting. On a more positive note, the good news is, I've been promoted, so... every cloud. You're still thinking about the bad news aren't you?
Old 04-23-05, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sometimes I just space out for a while...
Old 04-23-05, 09:53 PM

this might make you feel better

WhackYourBoss

I still haven't found what #12 is yet.
Old 04-23-05, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Judge Smails

WhackYourBoss

I found #12!

Spoiler:
It's the Coat Hook
Old 04-23-05, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
I found #12!

Spoiler:
It's the Coat Hook
Thanks!
Old 04-23-05, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i really think that being a boss and being a jerk are correlated in the fact that people who tend to get to that level have higher rates of rudeness and overall not-giving-a-shit-what-you-think-ness. i dont know the proper scientific terms for that but it just seems that way. people who are more like taht are more likely to become bosses. its not necessarily they are more qualified or possess great boss skills (many do not obviously) but rather they are able to put themselves in positions to move up because of their attitude and mentality.

people who are nicer and laid back and less confrontational are less likely to move up because they lack that aggressive behavior needed to show yourself up.

im sure many bosses are cool but i think many are like how i described.

i worked at a place where supervisors were promoted NOT based on skills, education, or being qualified but rather those who didnt give a shit what people thought and would be able to control people below them and basically tell them to shutup and get to work. most people who worked there were basically nice but never were promoted. why? because people who did the promoting wanted people that they knew could "control" the rest. people who could keep everyone in line and those happen to be people who were more rude, more direct and just didnt care what others thought.

like george says "well the jerk store called - they are running out of you!"
Old 04-23-05, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

(and i know this doesnt belong here but where are all my forum buttons - i cant edit posts i cant create new threads...all the buttons are gone...help!)
Old 04-23-05, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

When my Dad died in 1996 I had to go to Texas for his funeral on a Wednesday. My boss asked me to see if they could postpone it until Saturday so I wouldn't miss any work.
Old 04-24-05, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by eXcentris
1. Histrionic tendencies
- Superficial, insincere, egocentric, manipulative.

2. Narcicism
- Grandstanding, lack of empathy, exploitation of others.

3. Compulsive behavior
- Perfectionist, rigid, pig-headedness, dictatorial tendencies.
It makes perfect sense these qualities would be found in bosses mostly.

1)If someone is manipulative, they'll get others to do what the want.

2) This builds of #1. If a boss exploits others he'll get stuff done (well others will get it done, but he'll take credit.) Which contributes to the grandstanding.

3) This one to me is the minor of these three "sins." Honestly, do you want someone who is agreeable but unfocused on details? No, perfectionists get the job done right. It may make them unbearable to work with, but as far as managment is concerned, the final product is the #1 concern.
Old 04-24-05, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by atari2600

i worked at a place where supervisors were promoted NOT based on skills, education, or being qualified but rather those who didnt give a shit what people thought and would be able to control people below them and basically tell them to shutup and get to work. most people who worked there were basically nice but never were promoted. why? because people who did the promoting wanted people that they knew could "control" the rest. people who could keep everyone in line and those happen to be people who were more rude, more direct and just didnt care what others thought.
Bosses are judged entirely by the metric of how much work they get out of the group, and how much they can lower the cost of delivering that output.

In some jobs, the boss is a "working boss," he personally still does work similar to others in the group, in other cases he administers and manages. In the first case technical competence is important. In the second, it is NOT directly correlated to group output, although it might be helpful in the training of other employees.

There is a time when every boss needs to "kick ass and take names" and he better be able to do it. Some bosses are one dimensional and can only do that, others recognize that there are times when a "kinder, gentler approach" gets more output. No matter his style, a boss is judged and rewarded for getting a lot of output from the group at low cost, and his focus is there, not your wellbeing (unless it promotes output).
Old 04-24-05, 02:41 PM

(and i know this doesnt belong here but where are all my forum buttons - i cant edit posts i cant create new threads...all the buttons are gone...help!)
I had the same problem... and then I realized the pictures were being blocked by a filter I had set in Adblock (Firefox).
Old 04-24-05, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Actually, this explains why some people shoot their boss.
Old 04-24-05, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Doesn't suprise me.

The difference with those symptoms and 'most' bosses...is that they aren't clinically significant and don't cause impairment in one or more 'life areas' such as work, etc. There are other criteria for each disorder that make it impairing in one way or another. I don't disagree that some of those symptoms are good for business.

-pedagogue
Old 04-24-05, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm quite certain that a lot of bosses suffer from multiple personnality disorder. My ex boss was a total control freak dictator at work but a funny and personable guy outside of work.
Old 04-24-05, 08:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by eXcentris
I'm quite certain that a lot of bosses suffer from multiple personnality disorder. My ex boss was a total control freak dictator at work but a funny and personable guy outside of work.
Not quite the right term, but we can roll with it.

-pedagogue
Old 04-25-05, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by Judge Smails

WhackYourBoss

They've added a 13th one. Now this is a good timewaster.
Old 05-02-05, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i just read an article on msn.com talking about what i was talking about a few weeks ago - nice guys finish last in the job workplace because they dont have the certian attitude to put themselves first and move ahead...but i cant find that article anymore for some reason. anyone got the url?

i really think that being a boss and being a jerk are correlated in the fact that people who tend to get to that level have higher rates of rudeness and overall not-giving-a-shit-what-you-think-ness. i dont know the proper scientific terms for that but it just seems that way. people who are more like taht are more likely to become bosses. its not necessarily they are more qualified or possess great boss skills (many do not obviously) but rather they are able to put themselves in positions to move up because of their attitude and mentality.

people who are nicer and laid back and less confrontational are less likely to move up because they lack that aggressive behavior needed to show yourself up.

im sure many bosses are cool but i think many are like how i described.

like george says "well the jerk store called - they are running out of you!"
Old 05-02-05, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think its really a case of the squeaky wheel gets the grease. When it comes time to promote, those who are more visible have a real advantage.