Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Help: Recommend good places to eat in Manhattan

Old 04-23-05, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Help: Recommend good places to eat in Manhattan

I'm going to be in Manhattan for a week in May and I would like a few suggestions from y'all about good places to eat. I do not drink but that won't deter me from good food found in bars, clubs, etc. I can always get a Sprite. ... and I'd jump the bridge to Brooklyn if its worth it.

I really like Italian, Chinese, Mexican and other tradiational American foods.

I've already had the following restaurants recommended to me:

Gray's Papaya
The Carnagie Deli
Mesa Grill

Anyways, got any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-23-05, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn. I wish I would remember the name of the place a cousin of mine took us to in Chinatown. Though I'm guessing there are many great places there, just avoid ones that have little/no customers. Given the proximity of Chinatown and Little Italy (we actually parked in Little Italy and walked the 3-4 blocks to the Chinese place, past all these cute Italian markets with the meats/cheeses in the windows).

I could really care less if a place has a "great corned beef", so I wouldn't personally bother with Carnegie Deli, though you will be near it probably if you walk near Carnegie Hall, etc. I might consider popping into the Hello Deli.

And everyone has their favorites, but for a quick bite, with several locations, a cheese pizza slice from Ray's with a drink is pretty reasonable (for Manhattan) though I need to find that "place where pizza got it's start" that I see on the Food Network all the time.
Old 04-23-05, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
a cheese pizza slice from Ray's with a drink is pretty reasonable (for Manhattan) though I need to find that "place where pizza got it's start" that I see on the Food Network all the time.
You're probably thinking of Lombardi's on Prince Street. Definitely good pizza. I would avoid Ray's, nothing special at all.
Old 04-23-05, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The week you are there, is it work-related? Are you primarily looking for dinner places or will you be moving around during the day as well? Which part of town will you be in, or are you not shy about the subway or paying $$$ for a cab? Any special preferences, like a great steak place (that, as well as a pizza discussion could be its own thread). Is money no object, or would you like to keep all meals under a certain threshhold?

Originally Posted by Neuman
You're probably thinking of Lombardi's on Prince Street. Definitely good pizza. I would avoid Ray's, nothing special at all.
Well, when you're used to Dominos and Pizza Slut, it is. But our Tex-Mex is better.

Yes, I believe it is Lombardi's. I'd love to see their 900 degree oven.

http://www.lowermanhattan.info/news/...pper_87978.asp

Last edited by Y2K Falcon; 04-23-05 at 02:50 PM.
Old 04-23-05, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Y2K Falcon
Damn. I wish I would remember the name of the place a cousin of mine took us to in Chinatown. Though I'm guessing there are many great places there, just avoid ones that have little/no customers. Given the proximity of Chinatown and Little Italy (we actually parked in Little Italy and walked the 3-4 blocks to the Chinese place, past all these cute Italian markets with the meats/cheeses in the windows).

I could really care less if a place has a "great corned beef", so I wouldn't personally bother with Carnegie Deli, though you will be near it probably if you walk near Carnegie Hall, etc. I might consider popping into the Hello Deli.

And everyone has their favorites, but for a quick bite, with several locations, a cheese pizza slice from Ray's with a drink is pretty reasonable (for Manhattan) though I need to find that "place where pizza got it's start" that I see on the Food Network all the time.

Joe's Shanghai?

The secret to picking a good Chinese place is to make sure there are a lot of Chinese eating there.
Old 04-23-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm taking a group of students to NYC and we are going all over the place. The great thing about this is that I'm not really on a budget, I've got about $100 a day for museum entrances, food and entertainment.

I haven't been there since March of 2001, so alot of the places I went to before I can't remember... but back then I was a student and was on a budget.

Should be fun this time around.

... and I've been to the Hello Deli, we went to Letterman last time and its right around the corner.

I remember eating in the Food Court area of Grand Central Station, a buffet market across from the MoMa, the Empire Diner and a little dive in Chinatown that was really good.
Old 04-23-05, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I've already had the following restaurants recommended to me:

Gray's Papaya
The Carnagie Deli
Mesa Grill
Gray's Papaya, while tasty, is probably one of the dirtiest joints in town. The Carnegie Deli is good, if you want to take out a loan to get a sandwich. Mesa Grill is only so-so IMHO. Better restaurants abound. Get your paws on a NYC Zagat's and let your fingers do the walking. Some of my faves:

Spice Market
Union Square Cafe
Grammercy Tavern
Peter Luger (Brooklyn)
Lucky Cheng's (if you're not worried about catching teh gay)
The Burger Joint (inside the parker Meridien Hotel) Best burger in town. Cheap, too.
Ruby Foo's (Midtown Asian Fusion)

Places to go so you can say you went there:
Tavern on the Green ($$)
Elaine's (food is only avg, but usually has a few celebs)
Sardi's
Carmine's (Times Sq)
21 Club (W 52nd st...$$$)
Old 04-24-05, 09:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tdirgins
Gray's Papaya, while tasty, is probably one of the dirtiest joints in town.
I went there last time I was there and I liked it... two dogs and a drink for a few bucks was a student-on-a-budget's dream deal.

... oh, and I went to "The World" (The WWE's Restaurant) on Times Square and it was good too.

Some of those places you suggested sound great. I'll have to try a few out.
Old 04-24-05, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

we had really good chinese food in chinatown at the canal street fun house.

we actually went there becase the 'c' was blocked by a pole and i thought it was something else.

but the food was good! lots of chinese folks in there and the prices were pretty good considering we ate a duck that had been sitting in the window....well...hanging in the window.
Old 04-24-05, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Max's in the East Village. Somewhere on Avenue B between 3rd & 4th.
Old 04-24-05, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just fyi, most of tdirgin's recommendations (Union Sq Cafe, Peter Luger, etc.) are fairly pricey. Might eat into your entertainment budget. If u go to Lucky Cheng's, do it for the entertainment--the food is not memorable. And I would advise away from Ruby Foo's--food is so-so at best and way overpriced for the theater crowd.

Second the Burgers in the Parker Meridien, but hit it around mid-afternoon--noon to 2 or so is very crowded. Try Malaysian at Nyonya, right by Little Italy at Grand & Mulberry. Dallas BBQ (several locations) has awesome "Texas" wings, and decent bbq. Good Mexican at Rosa Mexicana, by Lincoln Center and one on the far East side. A bit pricey but not bad. Paper Moon around 58th and 5th has good Italian. Blue Moon Cafe on 8th at around 7th has good Mexican. Great classic diner food (awesome omelette/benedict brunches) at the Malibu Diner, 23rd st. at 7th Ave. Great Thai on 8th AVe at 51st, forget the name. And best wings in town at Scruffy Duffy's, 8th ave between 46th and 47th.

Also check the discussion boards at chowhound.com for lots of NYC eating recommendations.

Last edited by drmoze; 04-24-05 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-24-05, 06:18 PM
X
Administrator

Originally Posted by drmoze
Try Malaysian at Nyonya, right by Little Italy at Grand & Mulberry.
I'll second that suggestion. Just ate there a week ago and it was good and very inexpensive.
Old 04-25-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
I went there last time I was there and I liked it... two dogs and a drink for a few bucks was a student-on-a-budget's dream deal.
Did you go to the 72nd and Broadway one? there are a couple. Anyhow, from that Gray's Papaya, walk one and a half blocks north on Amsterdam Ave to Vinny's Pizza, the best sicilian pizza ever.
Old 04-25-05, 10:58 AM

Any Chinatown resturant that only has Orientials in it.
Old 04-25-05, 11:48 AM

Here are some good places off the tourist track:
-A. Salt and Battery (2nd Ave at 8th St)-authentic fish and chips (get em with curry sauce)
-Grand Sichuan (2nd Ave at 56th)- great food, almost exclusive Chinese clientele and you don't have to go all the way downtown. Very different menu than any American-style Chinese restaurant has. I highly recommend the Chong Qing Spicy Aromatic chicken
-Fried Dumpling (Mosco St, near Mott)- 5 dumplings for $1, can't be beat. Go around the corner to Mei Leh Wah on Bayard for some bao (barbecued pork buns) for 60 cents each and you're set. You can order the steamed bao (white) or the baked ones (brown) and the line out the door will attest to their value and addictive nature.
-Patsy Grimaldi's (under the Brooklyn Bridge on Brooklyn side). Best pizza ever. No slices.
-Vietnam (Doyers St, Chinatown). Downstairs in an alleyway, it seems scary but the food is great and really cheap (entrees under $5). Try the Vietnamese coffee.
-Emack and Bolio's Ice Cream (7th Ave at 14th St, 1st Ave at 80th St, and one on the Upper West side somewhere). Extra creamy, really decadent.

Also check www.menupages.com for many menus online.