Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Help From Vonage Users!!

Old 04-23-05, 03:13 AM

Help From Vonage Users!!

I've been having headaches with Vonage. I finally got it to work however only on one phone! I had the impression that every phone jack in the house would be able to function as it did with the regular phone company. I called and asked why only one phone was working, the one connected to the Linksys adapter. They told me if i want the other phones in my home to work I need to get a Telephone splitter and connect it to the Linksys and connect all the phones to that. Are they serious?? They want me to run wires up and down my 2 story home? They had to mis inform me right......?
Old 04-23-05, 05:05 AM
Suspended

Not to call you stupid or anything but how do you expect to use Vonage in your entire house when the only way to use their system is via their own "phone adapters." Like such:

Disconnect the power from all devices on your network. This includes your Cable/DSL modem, router, and computers.

Connect an Ethernet cable from the Cable/DSL modem's Ethernet port to the WAN port on the router.

Connect an Ethernet cable from any LAN port on the router to each of the WAN ports on the Phone Adapters.

Connect a telephone to the LINE 1 port of each Phone Adapter using a standard phone line. If you have activated LINE 2 for phone or fax service, you may also connect a telephone or fax machine at this time.

Connect the appropriate Power cable to the Cable/DSL modem.

Wait about two minutes for the Cable/DSL modem to boot up before continuing.

Connect the appropriate Power cable to the router.

Wait about two minutes for the router to boot up before continuing.

9. Connect a Power cable provided with the Phone Adapter to the POWER port of a Phone Adapter.

10. Wait at least five minutes for the Phone Adapter to boot up. The Phone Adapter's green power light will blink in sequence until it has fully connected to the Vonage network. There may be updates that need to be downloaded such as new firmware or changes to your features. Do not interrupt the configuration process by unplugging the power or lifting the receiver on your phone during the startup process. Interruption of the startup may result in interruption of service.

11. Once the Phone Adapter's green power light is solid green, the Phone Adapter is ready to use.

12. Pick up your telephone receiver and listen for a dial tone. If you hear a dial tone, you have finished the installation and can begin making calls.

Repeat steps 9 through 12 for each phone adapter you will be connecting.

The reason you need adapters for each phone, is because each phone needs a special way to accept and send phonecalls. Now, I think you actually "could" have a setup where Vonage is being sent to your entire house, but that's just it, you have to be in your own home, or know how to isolate your telephone wires so that no power is going to them.

Here's a FAQ about it on Vonage's website:

http://www.vonage.com/help_knowledge...hp?article=649

The part that may concern you is:

STEP THREE - CONNECT YOUR PHONE ADAPTER

If you've successfully isolated your wiring and you've confirmed the line is dead, the hard part's over. It's time to connect to Vonage!

Simply plug your DSL/cable modem into the Vonage phone adapter. Then plug your phone adapter into any telephone jack using a standard telephone cord.

Finally, plug regular phones into the other jacks in your house. Telephone jacks are wired in parallel, so when you plug your phone adapter into any working jack, it will spread the signal to the other jacks in your home.

Like any telephone line, there is a limit to the number of phones you can connect to a single Vonage line. If too many phones are connected, the signal will fade, and not all of the phones will ring when a call comes in. Therefore, we recommend you only connect five phones maximum to a single Vonage line.

You also should probably read a lot more on their website about how this system actually works. I don't have it myself yet, but I do plan on it soon.

Last edited by DVD Polizei; 04-23-05 at 05:19 AM.
Old 04-23-05, 08:23 AM

Just find where the POTS line comes into your house and splits up in a multiplexer to go to all of your existing phone jacks - plug the input to that multiplexer into the output on your Vonage modem. That'll make all of your existing phone lines live on the Vonage line. If this didn't make sense to you, find a local wiring contractor to do the work for you.
Old 04-23-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm not hip to vonage but if you can use any phone maybe buy one of those phones that let you use multiple handsets. The newer ones have fancy cell phone features like custom ringtones and the ability set tones to people. Uniden has one that works with bluetooth headsets also.
Old 04-23-05, 10:28 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Erasmus
Just find where the POTS line comes into your house and splits up in a multiplexer to go to all of your existing phone jacks - plug the input to that multiplexer into the output on your Vonage modem. That'll make all of your existing phone lines live on the Vonage line. If this didn't make sense to you, find a local wiring contractor to do the work for you.
I was under the impression that the NID at the home was owned by the phone company and cannot be modified, eventhough it is located in or on the home. The CPE inside of the residence (after the split) is what the home owner actually owns.

They sell phones now where the base unit plugs into one jack, and the "expansion" phones, though they each have a base for power and signal amplification, each run off the base unit connection. Perhaps the OP should look into one of those setups.
Old 04-23-05, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by matta
I was under the impression that the NID at the home was owned by the phone company and cannot be modified, eventhough it is located in or on the home. The CPE inside of the residence (after the split) is what the home owner actually owns.

They sell phones now where the base unit plugs into one jack, and the "expansion" phones, though they each have a base for power and signal amplification, each run off the base unit connection. Perhaps the OP should look into one of those setups.
No, the idea is to plug the Vonage modem into your internal multiplexer. Most newer homes have a distribution box inside the home that all external wiring runs to, and is then distributed throughout the rest of the house.

The other alternative is to have a line running directly from the NID owned by the telco to your phones, with a splitter put in for each phone line. If that's the case, you're probably SOL w/o getting the phones that are multiple handsets off of a common base.
Old 04-23-05, 08:59 PM

For some reason i have two lines going into the NIU and i only had one telephone line in my home. I'm lost...one phone does get a dial tone the others dont.
Old 04-24-05, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Make sure you disconnect all the incoming lines from the telco on the outside box. Pug a phone cord from the linksys box into any phone jack in the house. That's it, you don't necessarily have to plug it in at the distribution point.

dave
Old 04-24-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I just bought a Uniden. If you think about it, you don't really need much more than like 2 or 3 phones.
Old 04-24-05, 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Dave99
Make sure you disconnect all the incoming lines from the telco on the outside box. Pug a phone cord from the linksys box into any phone jack in the house. That's it, you don't necessarily have to plug it in at the distribution point.

dave
Thats exactly what i did and i get no dial tone anywhere in the home. I've been at this for a while and its finally got me frustruated as to where i'm calling a telephone wiring service tommarow to come out and do it. I saw this week in the best buy ad the AT&T Call Advantage and that the Geek Squad comes out and installs it. is there any service that installs vonage or do i just have to call any repair company.