Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Thoughts on Nissan Altima?

Old 04-23-05, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Thoughts on Nissan Altima?

I was looking into leasing this car and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with it. Any positives or negatives that I may not be aware of?
Old 04-23-05, 12:51 AM
Suspended

My neighbor has a 2000 model, with the 2.5 litre inline-4. I asked him about performance, he says he gets about 23 mpg on average (using high octane gas is best). No major problems with it so far for him.
Old 04-23-05, 12:53 AM

Originally Posted by Forum Troll
My neighbor has a 2000 model, with the 2.5 litre inline-4. I asked him about performance, he says he gets about 23 mpg on average (using high octane gas is best). No major problems with it so far for him.

Yea, so far everything I have seen has been pretty positive. Certainly not the most exciting car, but for the money it comes with a lot of the features I desire.
Old 04-23-05, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Former Nissan Altima GXE owner with no complaints whatsoever. Driving a Camry XLE-V6 now.
Old 04-23-05, 07:51 AM

We had an 02 2.5 that we leased for 3 years just turned it in this year.

Never had a problem with it and it was the first year of the redesigned model. It got excellent gas mileage also, city was around 20+ and highway was around 30. There was lots of leg room in the front and back. The engine was also pretty powerful for being only a 2.5, when you needed the power it was there.

I can't really think of any negatives except our service department was kind of bad, but that has nothing to do with the car.
Old 04-23-05, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

i have a 95 and they have a bad problem with their hub caps falling off...other than that its been pretty good
Old 04-23-05, 10:50 AM
bhk
DVD Talk Legend

We had a 2003 no problems. Another driver(Toyota minivan) came over the double yellow line and off-set head on crashed with it. Both cars' airbags deployed(to give you an idea of the ferocity of the impact). Wife was driving alone, walked away without injury. We had a Geo Prizm that we traded in for that car 6 months earlier and the Altima probably saved my wife serious injury.
Old 04-23-05, 01:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

two people from work are leasing their second altimas since i've been there

they have no complaints
Old 04-23-05, 02:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had a 98 Altima GLE and it was perfectly fine, no complaints what so ever.

I wish I could have upgraded to the new Altima SE-R though.....
Old 04-23-05, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had a 2001 Altima.....and it was solid. I had a problem with the driver side power window (had to get fixed twice...both under warranty), but besides that....great car.

I picked up a 2005 Altima, and I've had ZERO problems with it. Solid car. Pretty decent pick up, etc.

-pedagogue
Old 04-23-05, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have a few friends with these and they like them although when they need work, it's wicked expensive.
Old 04-23-05, 03:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I got a 2005 2.5S about a month ago and love it. If gas prices weren't what they are I would drive it more.
Old 04-24-05, 12:36 AM

Thanks for the replies! I think I will probably go with the Altima. I have done my research and everything seems excellent. I was actually quite shocked when I was told how inexpensive the leases were going for now (actually made me a little suspicious). I really like the roominess and the safety features that I can get on it, as well as how nice it drove. Thanks again for the help.
Old 04-24-05, 01:12 PM

My 97 Altima has been great, with the exception of a hubcab falling off (which is apparently a huge problem...I'd think enough to warrant a recall but I guess not).
Old 04-24-05, 10:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

This depends on what you are comparing it to.

The Altima by itself is a fairly nice car for the money, but as soon as you compare it to an Accord or a Camry, it loses. The competition has a much more refined car (much smoother and quieter) Speaking on 4 cylinder models only.

I suggest you go test drive an Altima (with the radio off, pay attention to the noise), then immediately go drive an accord and/or a camry.
Old 04-25-05, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by 4KRG
This depends on what you are comparing it to.

The Altima by itself is a fairly nice car for the money, but as soon as you compare it to an Accord or a Camry, it loses. The competition has a much more refined car (much smoother and quieter) Speaking on 4 cylinder models only.

I suggest you go test drive an Altima (with the radio off, pay attention to the noise), then immediately go drive an accord and/or a camry.
You are right. I did notice it is somewhat noiser and also a little bumpier. But it feels roomier and the price is much more in line with what I am looking to spend. I am going to test drive it again tommorrow after work, just to make sure it is comfortable.
Old 04-25-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dave-o
You are right. I did notice it is somewhat noiser and also a little bumpier. But it feels roomier and the price is much more in line with what I am looking to spend. I am going to test drive it again tommorrow after work, just to make sure it is comfortable.
I am 6'5", here is my 'roomyness test' I get in the drivers seat, adjust so I am comfortable, go for a drive to make sure, adjust again, park, get out of the drivers seat and then into the rear seat behind the drivers seat and see if I am still comfortable. The Altima FAILED, the Camry PASSED, the accord I was never really comfortable in the drivers seat no matter what I did so I never got that far.

The trunk on the Camry is slightly larger as well.

Compare the 2.5S with the Camry LE, the camry is just slighly more expensive "street price" and you get more, for ex. the 5 speed auto (if you wanted auto) which I think is an excellent feature. The engine isn't turning over that fast going 70 mph down the highway (adds to the quiet).

The altima has just a little more rated horsepower, but only a 4 speed auto, so I think its a wash on performace, but the camry has better rated MPG.

I don't mean to leave out the accord, I just didn't reasearch it as much because I never could get comfy in the drivers seat for some reason so I quit looking at it early on.
Old 04-26-05, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

got to go with the 3.5se those things are fun to drive and pretty damn fast for the cost.
Old 04-26-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

No comments on the the Altima but the Maxima!!! I recently got to drive an 05 Maxima for a week (rent a car) while my truck was being fixed. If I had the money I would buy this car!! It was FAST as heck.. I had an 86 5.0 Mustang GT 5 Speed and I swear the Maxima was comparable to it.. I hammered it all week needless to say. Had a ton of leg room up front (I'm 6'2") and plenty in the back as well.

It was a VERY fun car to drive for that week. I got back in my truck and thought it was broken when I hit the gas.. If it's not that much more (for leasing it may not be) I would def step up!
Old 04-26-05, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by 4KRG
I am 6'5", here is my 'roomyness test' I get in the drivers seat, adjust so I am comfortable, go for a drive to make sure, adjust again, park, get out of the drivers seat and then into the rear seat behind the drivers seat and see if I am still comfortable. The Altima FAILED, the Camry PASSED
How was the legroom up front in the Altima? I'm looking at the Altima and really considering making it my next car. I'm 6'4" and I really couldn't care less about the back seat legroom since I'll never be sitting back there in my own car :lol

My dad bought a 04 Accord and I love the way it drives but I just don't feel comfortable in it and probably wouldn't buy one. I haven't driven an Altima yet but from what I've read they're really roomy.
Old 04-26-05, 02:54 PM

A friend of mine just got a 2005 Altima. It's a nice car, though I was pushing him to get the Maxima.
Old 04-26-05, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trelach24
How was the legroom up front in the Altima? I'm looking at the Altima and really considering making it my next car. I'm 6'4" and I really couldn't care less about the back seat legroom since I'll never be sitting back there in my own car :lol

My dad bought a 04 Accord and I love the way it drives but I just don't feel comfortable in it and probably wouldn't buy one. I haven't driven an Altima yet but from what I've read they're really roomy.
The leg room was ok, the Camry was still more comfortable, I could have lived with it in the Altima. I know what you mean about the Accord, it's hard to explain but it just isn't made for tall people.

I end up in the back seat in my own car sometimes

I still don't think the Altima would be worth saving $500 over, that is about the difference between it and a camry when you get to the bargaining table.

Unless of course you love the look or something, the drive isn't that good good in comparison. The 2005 Altima had a nicer interrior than the 2004 Altima, but still not as nice as Camry or Accord.

I am basically saying that other than $500 less in price, the Altima has nothing to offer that the competition doesn't have as well. Unless you 100% LOVE THE LOOK or love Nissan or can't cough up the extra $500 bucks, there is really no reason to buy one.

I do my own oil changes and other routine maintenance, the Altima oil filter is a bitch to get to, on the camry I don't even have to jack it up to change the oil. Resale is better on the camry. Room is better on the camry, noise level is lower on the camry, I think reliability is better on the camry. The camry looks a little more rice while the altima looks a little more ghetto.

Again this is all on the 4 cyl models (2.5s vs LE vs LX trim levels), when you get to the 6 cyl you can over look some of the shortcomings for the power and aftermarket performance support. You have to ask what you are buying the car for? My purpose was an appliance to get the groceries home and the kids to school and myself to work with good value. I have a motorcycle to get my need for speed and have fun with

If you are going to buy a 6 cyl Altima, then you might as well spend the extra $3000 and get a Maxima. The Maima is a very very nice car all around, but was just more than I wanted to spend.
Old 04-26-05, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Actually, I do love the back-end look of the Altima for some reason. Can't really explain it. And I'm thinking strictly about the 3.5 SE right now but I don't really think I need a Maxima even though they're very nice.
Old 04-26-05, 04:14 PM

I had a 2003 Altima 3.5SE and hated it. Felt like a piece of plastic. The engine was great in terms of power, but I hated the ride.

Damn thing leaked oil. Center console broke. Must have had 5 different interior rattles. Car was loud.

I had a '96 Accord EX and a '99 Accord V6-EX before the Altima. The accord is so much a better car. We still have a 2002 Accord SE and I like that betetr then the Altima.

My buddy had an Altima with a 39 month lease, 36 month warranty. Tranny went month 37.

If you are leasing an Altima for 36 months, go for it. If yo uare buying it, good luck.
Old 04-26-05, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have and 02 Altima I'm leasing. I'm 6'3'' and there is plenty of room in the front, I've only sat in the back when I was assfaced drunk so I cant help u there.

It's nice I have no complaints. My lease is about 315 /mo not bad.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.