Old 04-21-05, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Official "Good Beat" thread.

Post your good beats here!!!
Old 04-21-05, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Hahaha, what a wonderful thread, though I'm not sure how many people will lay claim to their bad calls that ended up fucking another player. I'm game, though. Here's one that comes to mind from a live game with my roomie, a friend of ours, and a neighbor that wandered in.

A little back story here...the three of us (neighbor discluded) had been playing for days straight. We first bought in for $20 apiece. At the time the neighbor wandered over, had over $1400 on the table between the three of us. We cashed all of that out, wrote down who owed what to the pot and who had how much in chips, and so forth. Then we all bought back in for $20-40, neighbor included.

So, I have 7h-7c. Raise $5 or so preflop. Calls around, because after the game we'd been playing before (with such high stakes on the table), a $5 raise was nothing, despite our $0.25/.50 blinds.

Anyway, flop comes 3h-5s-8h. I bet it $3 or so. My roomie calls...the others fold. Turn comes 10h. I bet it $3 or so again, roomie raises all-in for another $40ish. After spending a day at the lakehouse drinking beer and sitting by the water, I'm extremely drunk (too drunk for poker, to say the least. This is evidenced by what follows). I call on my 7's alone, not even knowing that there's a flush draw on the board. He flips over 10c-5d, two pair. River comes Kh. I made a flush with my 7h, and the four hearts on the board.

That's one of the only hands I've ever felt bad about winning, because I made a fucking horrible call due to my drunken stupor. So, there's my "good beat" story. I tend to go on ridiculously lucky streaks, where even my bad plays pay off...so I'm sure I'll have a lot more of these to tell as the months roll on. Don't envy me, though, because those lucky streaks are matched (if not overshadowed) by the kind of streak I'm on right now...one that definitely doesn't belong in this thread.

Needless to say, him flipping over that two pair sobered me up realllllyyy quickly, and I went on to have a pretty good night of cards with my newfound big stack.

-JP
Old 04-22-05, 01:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

hahahahahah that's great.
Old 04-22-05, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Typical story, had mid-pocket pair and caught runner quads drawing to three over-cards.
Old 04-22-05, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My roommate and I were playing some heads-up with each other for cheap practice ($1 a game). I'd been bullying him around for most of the night and took a stab at a pot pre-flop after he raised me, going all-in with 42o. I had about a 3:1 chip lead so I could afford the potential loss. He quickly called with his pocket queens. Deal the flop and out comes 446. No queen on the turn or the river. He didn't want to play anymore that night.
Old 04-22-05, 01:35 PM

I was shortstacked while playing with my friends. I had 23c. There's a pre-flop raise of 40 cents, which tripled the BB. At this point I only have $2.50 left (bought in for $10), and don't really care. 3 people in on the hand. The flop comes 6TT. Checks all around. Turn is a 4. At this point there is some action, it's raised like 60 cents.

One of my friends whose not in the hand comments "If you don't have a ten, you should not be in this hand." I don't care, I go all-in for my remaining $2. Get called all around. The river comes a 5, giving me my straight. The two others check around and then flip up their cards. TK, TA. The TA sees he outkicks TK, and starts taking the pot. I'm just sitting there like "Ummm, Ben... I hit the straight" He replays the progression in his head, then gets pissed off yelling "You went all in on an inside straight draw" And storms away from the table
Old 04-24-05, 08:39 AM

This happened last nite during a game with my buddies with 2 of us left.

I got dealt a 46 and he was dealt an Ace and 10. Normally I wouldnt do anything but I was big blind so I was in. Flop comes up 4, 6, A. I have 2 pair right now which still beats potential pair of Aces. Turn is another A so I am thinking I am screwed because I think my buddy is holding an Ace for trips. However, my buddy likes to bluff alot so I stay in and here it comes down the river, a nice 6 giving me a nice sixes over fours. Turns out he did have trip aces

He was pretty pissed but it was awesome when we looked at it how it went back and forth like that.

Oh and what does it mean when people put I had 75o, whats the small o for (off-suited perhaps)??
Old 04-24-05, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

On PP, $100 SnG, full table, early. Had pocket 8's in late position. Flop comes 2-2-A. Small bet of 1BB early, I call. Turn is junk - 7 or something. It was checked around for a free river. River is an 8, I get called all-in. I have the boat, 8s/2s, and the slowplaying idiot turns up an A-2 for 2s full of As and gets wiped out.

Last edited by drmoze; 04-24-05 at 10:12 AM.
Old 04-24-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by ElementZ
This happened last nite during a game with my buddies with 2 of us left.

I got dealt a 46 and he was dealt an Ace and 10. Normally I wouldnt do anything but I was big blind so I was in. Flop comes up 4, 6, A. I have 2 pair right now which still beats potential pair of Aces. Turn is another A so I am thinking I am screwed because I think my buddy is holding an Ace for trips. However, my buddy likes to bluff alot so I stay in and here it comes down the river, a nice 6 giving me a nice sixes over fours. Turns out he did have trip aces

He was pretty pissed but it was awesome when we looked at it how it went back and forth like that.
Doesn't he have Aces full of 6s beating your 6s full of Aces?
Old 04-24-05, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by WallyOPD
Doesn't he have Aces full of 6s beating your 6s full of Aces?
Not in Canada. 6's full of 4's is called a McKenzie and is unbeatable. All the Canadians on TigerGaming told me about that. When you have a McKenzie the aces are irrelevent.
Old 04-24-05, 04:59 PM
Mod Emeritus

McKenzie? I googled it and found nothing. JR are you joking? Elemetez said the guy had trip aces, but really he had a boat aces full of sixes while he had sixes full of aces. It's the best five cards. Are you guys sure you called that right?
Old 04-24-05, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try Google.ca
Old 04-24-05, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts
Wouldn't the higher trips win in the full house? 8's beats 2's right?
Old 04-25-05, 09:41 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

omg just got on the best roll on my NL SnG on PokerStars. 9 person tourney, 2 people gone, and I'm down to $215. I storm back to win the damn tourney! Craaaaaaaaaaaaaaaazy!
Old 04-25-05, 09:50 PM

Hahaha, I love it when sarcasm works like a charm. I read this thread shortly after reading that "King Kong" thread in the DVD forum (where about 5 people bit on a line of sarcasm regarding a poll which showed that only 278 people in the US would purchase the film were it released on DVD). Oh my.

-JP
Old 04-25-05, 10:19 PM
Mod Emeritus

Micro limit poker pros have a dry sense of humor.
Old 04-25-05, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
Micro limit poker pros have a dry sense of humor.
Should I have called it a "Bellini" instead?
Old 04-27-05, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by John Richmond
Not in Canada. 6's full of 4's is called a McKenzie and is unbeatable. All the Canadians on TigerGaming told me about that. When you have a McKenzie the aces are irrelevent.
nice.
Old 04-27-05, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The ultimate bad beat; you have the best hand and still don't win the pot. His friend only has himself to blame for not calling it though.

Still waiting for ElemntZ to make a return to this thread though. Maybe he just screwed up the story?
Old 04-27-05, 06:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jeremy517
The ultimate bad beat; you have the best hand and still don't win the pot. His friend only has himself to blame for not calling it though.

Still waiting for ElemntZ to make a return to this thread though. Maybe he just screwed up the story?
Still, can't beat my story! I had pocket kings, BAM, flop comes AAK, I go all in, opponent calls, he turns over pocket aces, turn comes 8 but river comes K making my 4-of-a-kind!
Old 04-27-05, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Superboy
Still, can't beat my story! I had pocket kings, BAM, flop comes AAK, I go all in, opponent calls, he turns over pocket aces, turn comes 8 but river comes K making my 4-of-a-kind!
That isn't a bad beat. It is just bad timing.

It would win you a nice bad beat jackpot at a lot of places though.
Old 04-27-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Superboy
So, what is it called when 4 aces gets beat by 4 kings?
Old 04-27-05, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

lowball? Razz? Cheat?
Old 04-27-05, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Wizdar
So, what is it called when 4 aces gets beat by 4 kings?
I believe that's a "So Cal Sensimilla".
Old 04-27-05, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just played a hand with AK and the flop was AK10, Betting and raising with one fella ensues. Turn is another A and guy opposite me goes all in. I call, he flips over KK for Kings full of Aces....which of course lost to my Aces full of Kings.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.