Reload this Page >

Applebee's complaint

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion/Politics

Applebee's complaint

Old 04-16-05, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Applebee's complaint

I moved here about two years ago, and was glad to find that as I was moving in, an Applebee's was being built nearby. At the time I was some sort of delusional idiot who thought their food was amazing.

Well, as time has passed I have noticed that:
  • Their food is not that good
  • Their food is not that healthy
  • Their food is not that cheap

The cheapness is only relative. Being terrible at cooking at often not wanting to deal with preparing a meal once I am done work and it's 9 o'clock, I am quite adept at eating out. I have all the good places mapped out (local Irish pub has 1/2 price burger night, fancy "New American" brewery has 1/2 price pizza night), I often end up eating a good meal that is pretty healthy* and a good price.

And on Thursdays I go to Applebee's. My girlfriend and I have gotten quite friendly with her and enjoy her company and the familiarity of it all. But honestly, the food is just terrible. Even "healthy" items like salad are nothing more than lettuce with some sandy-tasting tomatoes.

So... what do I do? I really like the bartender but damn it, I can't keep eating crap.

* I know you're saying "Pizza? Burgers? Healthy?" -- we're talking lean bison beef with asparagus and salad, or a chicken and vegetables pizza, not some oily Domino's crap.
Old 04-16-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
When I first went to Applebee's about 4 years ago, I thought their food sucked. But when I went there last year, it was the complete opposite. The food was awesome.
Old 04-16-05, 03:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think the food is alright, but the prices are completely out of line, at least here in Oregon. Don't have a beer or cocktails unless you bring plenty of cash. They have the most expensive drinks in town, and probably the weakest to boot!
Old 04-16-05, 03:45 PM

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts
I don't understand how such a physically large menu can have so few actual choices on it. There's nothing there. Crapplebee's, that place.

As for your question, I'm not sure what you're asking. You're girlfriend and you go there and are friendly with the bartender? Take a look at your wording. If the girlfriend likes the place, just tell her how you feel. If you like the bartender, just go there for drinks and that's it.
Old 04-16-05, 03:48 PM
Video Gamer Reviewers

If this is the biggest problem in your life, shit man, you've got it easy.
Old 04-16-05, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jrobinson
If this is the biggest problem in your life, shit man, you've got it easy.
Old 04-16-05, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Get half-priced appetizers (after 9 I think) - motz sticks, boneless wings, quasidilla, coconut shrimp are all good.(OK so the dilla's are a toss-up, but are usually good filler) I go with 4-5 other guys and we roll outta there spending $5 each. A corner booth and ESPN to ourselves, we're happy.

But yeah I agree, besides those and some of the desserts, there's nothing else I really like.

Last edited by Artman; 04-16-05 at 04:16 PM.
Old 04-16-05, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What's Applebee's? Is it like Huckabee's?
Old 04-16-05, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've never been impressed with Applebee's food. Their fajitas are okay.
Old 04-16-05, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
That's why I go to Chilis!
Old 04-16-05, 07:20 PM
Banned

I only read bold print. I'm on my way to Applebee's right now.
Old 04-16-05, 08:13 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
God I hope you're joking. If I lived in SA, Texas, the last place on earth I'd ever go is Chili's.
Old 04-16-05, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Applebee's is the first place I hung out at when I was 17-18 after working at Best Buy.
Old 04-16-05, 08:34 PM

I love Applebee's Fiesta Lime Chicken!!!!

I actually have two near where I live. One is in my town and the other is just over the state line in SC. The one in SC is a whole lot better!!.

Take care all!!
Old 04-16-05, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
I think it depends on where you are located.

For example, some Shari's restaurants are completely awesome, but many of them are crap, and have tweaker women filling your cup of Joe.
Old 04-16-05, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can never seem to find anything that sounds good on the Applebee's menu, and anything I try usually ends up being sub par. It is not like it is supposed to be a fantastic dinner, it is a sit down fast food joint that you can have a few drinks in. Almost anything you get is going to go from frozen to fried or prepared in bulk for the rest of the day. If you want something better, find a nice mom and pop place, you may pay a little bit more but you also get fresher ingredients and a different twist on foods that can be bland at chains like Applebee's. I usually find better service in non chain places as well, it seems like people put a little more effort into what they are doing when the owner is standing around and helping out.
Old 04-16-05, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74
They are good. My only complaint is how small the drinks are (soda), so I have to ask for a refill every two minutes or suffer in silence. My favorite of this type of place is The Ninety-Nine, which may only be in New England.
Old 04-16-05, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Gallant Pig
God I hope you're joking. If I lived in SA, Texas, the last place on earth I'd ever go is Chili's.
Trust me GPig... I don't eat at Chilis everytime... maybe every 4th or 5th time I go out.

In fact, I just got back from Rudy's about 10 minutes ago and since we are entertaining guests this week, we'll be going all over SA for some of the best food in the state!

Old 04-16-05, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Applebee's rocks the house!

Bourbon Street Steak =
Their fries =
Fajitas = Former (they started using some other kind of pitas and I don't get them anymore - as the new pitas are nasty).

They also have this salad (forgot the name) that had chicken strips. That was the shit, too. The dressing was great.

I also like the "sisters" of Applebee's: Chili's, Fatz, etc.
Old 04-16-05, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

The Santa Fe chicken salad at Applebee's is very good, and I once had a terrific gorgonzola steak there. Everything else is just so-so. But it's not offensive, so I end up taking lunch there quite often with co-workers. Chili's has that awesome Chicken Ranch sandwich, which I order every damn time I go there. There never seems to be one within 5 miles of me, though.
Old 04-16-05, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
I have never understood the allure of that place. Even among the ubiquitous American bistro chains, Applebee's finishes a distant third behind TGI's and Ruby Tuesday.
Old 04-17-05, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 38 Likes on 14 Posts
I don't like their menu, but last time I was there I had the French Onion soup, and I have to say I was shocked at how much I liked it.
Old 04-17-05, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It'll make a turd.
Old 04-17-05, 01:31 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Applebee's is good stuff. They have 1/2 price appetizers and beer during happy hour. Can't beat that, even if it is piss beer.

They have ok food. Chili's is better, but when I want lunch and it's closeby, I'll eat it.
Old 04-17-05, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Apllebees sucks ass!

I mean seriously.

The only chain that I will go to is Chilis, and that is mostly because I'm originally from Dallas, which had Chilis before they become a part of the Brinker empire. Now Chilis is mostly ass, but Appelbees has been ass from the very beginning!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.