Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Does this job opening sound like a scam?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 04-05-05, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I do contract work and have been looking for some extra work on the side, so I replied to a job ad through Craigslist for someone to reformat/revise/correct documents and presentations, which is what I've excelled at for over 5 years in my current and previous job.

So the guy emails back about how he got so many replies that he sent an attachment of a "sample" document for each candidate to revise and the best 2 people would get the contract, and to have them in by Wednesday morning. So I spend 2 hours tweaking this document and sent it back. I wake up Wednesday morning and check my email--and surprise--this guy has already responded to everyone that he has already hired another firm to do the work. Seemed a bit suspicious to me, but what can I do, right?

So yesterday I see another posting by a different guy for similar work to do on a contract basis. I apply and get an email saying roughly the same thing: he got so many replies that he attached a sample Word document to reformat. However, this one was 28 pages long! This time, I only revised 6 pages of it and converted it to a PDF to send back to him.

But I'm starting to wonder if this is a new scam going around to get people to do their work for free by just sending different documents to each person that applies? The first request seemed OK as I had no issues showing someone what I could do. But due to the "employer's" reply, it seemed a bit shady. I'm curious to see if this new guy even replies.
Old 04-05-05, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
sounds like scam to me
Old 04-05-05, 02:43 PM
Video Game Talk Editor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you think it's a scam, start watermarking your pdf files. Something along the lines of "Edited by SleepyW" in a clear 48 point font in the center of the document.
Old 04-05-05, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, the first time I just resent the Word file. But this time, with the PDF, he couldn't copy the formatting or fonts I used....especially when it's only 6/28 of this document. Either way, I don't think I'll do more free work for someone like this, even though it makes sense for applicants to prove their abilities in this way....it just smelled a little fishy to me...and not the good kind of fishy.
Old 04-05-05, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I realize I'm essentially talking to myself here, but so far, the guy's only reply has been an identical email to the one he sent me with his original attached document to revise. This putz doesn't even read his emails.
Old 04-05-05, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Man, thats a kick ass idea though
Old 04-05-05, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Wanted: Experienced writers to create documents that may look like, but aren't anything like, college english essays.
Old 04-05-05, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think you're on to something.

The weird thing about the document was is one one chapter of a 600-page home study course on what looked like teaching people how to get foreclosure victims to quit claim their house to you and turn it around for a profit.

Last edited by SleepyW; 04-05-05 at 10:52 PM.
Old 04-06-05, 05:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

[Homer]
This sounds like a scam, or possibly scamola.
[/Homer]
Old 04-06-05, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Update: While I'm still remaining a bit suspicious, the guy did email me back with a "Nice work. Call me." But he did give people until the end of the week to <strike>complete his work for him</strike> finish his sample revision document.

Last edited by SleepyW; 04-06-05 at 09:01 AM.
Old 04-06-05, 09:32 AM

Apply again using a different name and email, see if he sends the same document or a different one. If he sends the same one he could be legit.