Reload this Page >

Parents complaining about teachers using red ink because it's "too stressful."

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 04-04-05, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm friends with a few teachers, so I'm not one who is ready to condemn our entire educational system as a lost cause, but it's stories like this that make me wish school administrators would find their backbones again.

Read the full story at CNN.com:

Red ink falling out of favor with teachers
Monday, April 4, 2005 Posted: 12:11 PM EDT (1611 GMT)
At Public School 188 in Manhattan, 25-year-old teacher Justin Kazmark grades with purple.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Of all the things that can make a person see red, school principal Gail Karwoski was not expecting parents to get huffy about, well, seeing red.

At Daniels Farm Elementary School in Trumbull, Connecticut, Karwoski's teachers grade papers by giving examples of better answers for those students who make mistakes. But that approach meant the kids often found their work covered in red, the color that teachers long have used to grade work.

Parents objected. Red writing, they said, was "stressful." The principal said teachers were just giving constructive advice and the color of ink used to convey that message should not matter. But some parents could not let it go.

So the school put red on the blacklist. Blue and other colors are in.
Old 04-04-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've seen this reported before. Fucking morons.
Old 04-04-05, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, why shouldn't red ink be "stressful"? It's just pointing out what should be corrected, for cryin' out loud.
Old 04-04-05, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I actually remember jokingly giving my teachers a hard time about that in 7th/8th grade (late 80's). I think there is actually some longstanding research that went into this "belief" . . . sad to say.
Old 04-04-05, 05:57 PM

I had a professor that did this. She wrote in purple because it was less confrontational. She also made us remove our hats, gum and had us wear nametags. I felt like I was in elementary school again. I think it's stupid, over time the new color will seem just as "stressful" as red did. It seems like just a bunch of parents that are mad that their children are being corrected and not reguarded as the geniuses that they really are.
Old 04-04-05, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 177 Likes on 105 Posts
Reminds me of a time when I went in a Yahoo chat room for bipolar people. I had my default text color set to red, and several of them started freaking out. I was asked by a moderator to change it to a less "confrontational" color.
Old 04-04-05, 06:01 PM

This is so ridiculous. We are babying our children so much these days... Can't have ANY negative reinforcement.
Old 04-04-05, 06:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Or, the kids could just work harder and get it correct. Then, they wouldn't see any red ink.
Old 04-04-05, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 123 Likes on 85 Posts
F-

Old 04-04-05, 06:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well, people do instinctively associate red with alarm and anger. I mean, really, is there any reason to use it over green or, say, light blue?
Old 04-04-05, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Repost...

http://dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=381608

As devilshalo wrote:
Originally Posted by devilshalo
F-

Old 04-04-05, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
Well, people do instinctively associate red with alarm and anger. I mean, really, is there any reason to use it over green or, say, light blue?
Well, yeah, green and blue were reserved for "correct" check marks. Red was for the "you got it wrong, stupid" X's
Old 04-04-05, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by OldDude
Well, yeah, green and blue were reserved for "correct" check marks. Red was for the "you got it wrong, stupid" X's
I don't think I've ever had a teacher mark the correct answers, just the incorrect ones.

Spoiler:
That makes me feel sad. :,-(
Old 04-04-05, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 176 Likes on 131 Posts
Next thing they'll do is not fail anyone because it's too stressful.
Old 04-04-05, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
I don't think I've ever had a teacher mark the correct answers, just the incorrect ones.

Spoiler:
That makes me feel sad. :,-(
I suppose that is "efficiency." When I was in school, at least on tests, every answer was marked, either correct or incorrect. That is what the half red/half blue pencil was for.
Old 04-04-05, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by agrall

This is so ridiculous. We are babying our children so much these days... Can't have ANY negative reinforcement.
Don't get me started on the school systems that ban dodgeball because it excludes the kids who get tagged out.
Old 04-04-05, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
and then kids will think "purple means I suck" after a month or two
Old 04-04-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
I grade everything in red ink... and I LOVE IT!
Old 04-04-05, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

If your kid wasn't so stupid and refused to study, your kid wouldn't get red marks to begin with. I really hate people. Grow a thicker skin, parents, because your kids are NOT perfect. Sorry. If they make a mistake on their paper, it will get marked down. Red is used because red is the most visible color.

Even blue ink would be difficult to see on a paper hand written in blue ink, you know?

Frankly, red ink never bothered me as a kid. It doesn't bother me now as a college student. Stressful color, indeed.
Old 04-04-05, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh no! Red! The bad colour!

Do we know if the parents had just recently watched 'The Village'?
Old 04-04-05, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm sorry to inform you this thread is incorrect, because it is a DUPLICATE.
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...eachers+purple
Old 04-04-05, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 143 Likes on 106 Posts
I suggest parents should stay away from the Elektra DVD, Ocean's 12, and Valentine's Day. Oh, and Christmas too.
Old 04-04-05, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by mllefoo
If your kid wasn't so stupid and refused to study, your kid wouldn't get red marks to begin with. I really hate people. Grow a thicker skin, parents, because your kids are NOT perfect. Sorry. If they make a mistake on their paper, it will get marked down. Red is used because red is the most visible color.

Even blue ink would be difficult to see on a paper hand written in blue ink, you know?

Frankly, red ink never bothered me as a kid. It doesn't bother me now as a college student. Stressful color, indeed.
Amen. So many people are way too "touchyfeelypoliticallycorrect"... I'm waiting for the pendulum to swing back towards normalcy, where kids can feel free to drink out of hoses, eat dirt, and get lots of red marks and LEARN FROM IT. :-)

Muse
Old 04-04-05, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 53 Likes on 32 Posts
This pops up now and then but is pretty old (I read some essays from ten years ago on it in a composition and rhetoric class). I think they're talking about the comments more than the marks, which would be a huge mass of red if the teacher writes a long comment at the end. I would use red for in text corrections and comments (because they show up) but regular pen for a long end of paper note.

But red isn't really any more stressful to me than any other color. It's just an eyesore for long paragraphs.
Old 04-04-05, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

They should mark in yellow. That'll give 'em something to moan about.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.