Reload this Page >

Good starting bankroll for $5 tournies?

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 03-26-05, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What would be a safe starting bankroll for playing in only $5+.5 tournaments? Is there a good rule of thumb to go by?
Old 03-26-05, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not really. I've been in tournies that start anywhere from $2,750 to $300,000. What really matters is the amount of time you want to play and how long you want it to last. When we play $5 tournies with 4-8 people we start with around $15,000 and start the blinds at $100/200 and double them every 12 minutes. We generally get in 3 games over 4 hours.
Old 03-26-05, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I always play $5 tourneys either heads up, or 3-way with my roommate and another one of our friends who is always down to play some cards. It's just something quick to pass the time between classes, meals, or naps. We always just start it off as we would a cash game, $50 in chips, 0.25/0.50 blinds raised every 6 minutes, capped at 3/6.

It really doesn't matter how many chips you start with. If you start with $100,000 in chips instead of $100...in the end you're just adding three zeros to the end of every fake-denomination-chip, so it all plays out the same.

-JP
Old 03-26-05, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ok, i meant for playing online. How much should i start with to allow room for a bad streak. I usually deposit --> play ---> withdrawl and i want to just start keeping it online, hopefully increasing it enough to play in some larger money tournaments.

sorry for the confusion
Old 03-26-05, 02:29 PM

if you're talking sit and goes...20 buyins is usually a good number if you're a winning player. If you mean multi tables...you need a much higher number, and even then, you're never truly safe. I would say 20 buyins is fairly safe, if you're a good player. 50 buyins for a nice security blanket, and I'd say if you lose 100 buyins over a long period of time...it's time to re evaluate your play.

Again, this advice only pertains if you're a winning player. No buyin is large enough if you're a losing player
Old 03-26-05, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by schlitz100
ok, i meant for playing online. How much should i start with to allow room for a bad streak. I usually deposit --> play ---> withdrawl and i want to just start keeping it online, hopefully increasing it enough to play in some larger money tournaments.

sorry for the confusion

Aha, now I understand. I generally sit with $50 at either 1/2 limit, 2/4 limit, or .50/1 no limit, and it is plenty to go through a dry spell. I have often been down to single digits and made my way back up. But those are all live action, and you want to know about tournaments.....so I still have no idea what you mean?

You just get as many chips as they give you in a tournament. Did I misunderstand again?
Old 03-26-05, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by schlitz100

sorry for the confusion
I'm still not sure what you're asking, then. Are you wondering how much you should put in your real-money account if you intend to play sit-and-go $5-.50 tourneys, and have enough time to feel things out and get on a roll before going broke? If so, that all depends on your skill level. Some people can put in $300 and go broke playing those $5 tourneys. Some people can put in $11 and turn it into a grand over a month's time. Just depends...

-JP
Old 03-26-05, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

$50-100 should be sufficient unless you really blow or hit a real bad spell. if that happens, you can always redeposit another 50 or 100.
Old 03-26-05, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by moorehed
$50-100 should be sufficient unless you really blow or hit a real bad spell. if that happens, you can always redeposit another 50 or 100.
Sage advice.
Old 03-27-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I assume you're talking about SnGs here. If so, I'd say $50 should be fine if you've got any skill. $5 tournies are almost a joke. People don't take them seriously, so they should be easily beaten. Build it up to $100 and move up to $10 - they're still full of morons. Get yourself to $200 and go to $20s. At that point, the money you can make starts to become worth the time you put into it.

If you're talking about big multis, then you'll need a bigger bankroll to cover the much higer variance. That's one nice thing about SnGs, the variance is very controllable.
Old 03-28-05, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by mgbfan
I assume you're talking about SnGs here. If so, I'd say $50 should be fine if you've got any skill. $5 tournies are almost a joke. People don't take them seriously, so they should be easily beaten. Build it up to $100 and move up to $10 - they're still full of morons. Get yourself to $200 and go to $20s. At that point, the money you can make starts to become worth the time you put into it.

If you're talking about big multis, then you'll need a bigger bankroll to cover the much higer variance. That's one nice thing about SnGs, the variance is very controllable.
I disagree with this somewhat.. I wouldn't say 5 & 10 are that much easier to win, in fact I find them often times more difficult because as you said people don't really care what they're playing with. In the 5 & 10 SnGs you generally get more people just willing to chase cards, and bump you out with junk.. because they caught some miracle river card.. against your pocket Kings.. Good hands seem to lose more to me on the smaller tables, and generally had better luck on the 20+ SnGs.

I recommend putting 100 in there to get started, and play 1-2 5 or 10 SnGs then move up to 20.. As long as you can routinely get top 3 you'll be at least holding your own.
Old 04-06-05, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by SpaceBoy
In the 5 & 10 SnGs you generally get more people just willing to chase cards, and bump you out with junk.. because they caught some miracle river card.
Why oh why do people continue to insist that playing against terrible players is a bad thing?