Reload this Page >

Spending some time in Florida... Disney and so on...help

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 03-18-05, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Going to Florida in April. I can only be in Orlando for two days. What do you reccomend. I have not been to disney since i was a kid, and would love to take in some history on Walt himself. Not opposed to other things, thought about doing universal...just don't want to ride roller coasters all day. Just want to get some knowledge while i'm down there. Just me and the wife, leaving the baby with grandparents so help.
Old 03-18-05, 04:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Be more specific. It takes over 850 miles to traverse florida from one end of the "L" to the other.
Old 03-18-05, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I think he meant to add the word "Orlando".

The Pusser family will be there later in the year so this is a warning. Any important info that is not posted here will need to be kept in your memory bank for my future thread.
Old 03-18-05, 08:42 AM

what do u like to do?

i think u are thinking of busch gardens when u said roller coasters. universal actually doesn't have that many. if u like the outdoors, i'd suggest silver spring..
Old 03-18-05, 11:06 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Want Walt history and a full day at a park? Go to EPCOT.

Love movies? Go to Universal Studios. Or Disney Studios.

Thrill rides? Universal's Islands of Adventure.

A "classic" Disney day? The Magic Kingdom.
Old 03-18-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks guys...I indeed meant time in Orlando...I am visiting family, but the wife and I are going to spend two days alone, (first time we have left the baby overnight). I have all the beach time, and that covered. Just lookling for ideas on spending time in DisneyWorld, and possibly Universal. I want to see some History on the Man Walt Disney, need some romantic places to eat, may want to catch a show...and so on and so on. We will hit a few of the rides, I just don't want to spend two days on coasters (suggest what I should hit up for thirlls.)

What are the best things (movie related) to do at Universal Studios. The California park seems to have the edge on it, but please make suggestions. (What does the tour include here?)
Old 03-18-05, 11:47 AM

MGM Studios is great....That and Epcot were a blast. IMO Animal Kingdom is a complete waste of time, horrible and the worst of the parks I feel....Magic Kingdom is fun too but more kid oriented, Haunted Mansion and Pirates is awesome however.

Me and my wife are going in May for our extended honeymoon (We got married a month ago) and I cannot WAIT to go to MGM since it will be Star Wars Weekend Should kick mucho ass!
Old 03-18-05, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Universal is actually two parks with very different feels. One park is Universal Orlando, which is much more movie-based, with simulators, kid's rides, and the like. The other is Islands of Adventure, which has a lot more of the thrill-ride type attractions, including some great coasters and Spiderman, which is probably the best simulator ride in the world.

I live here in Orlando, and if I could choose one park to spend a day at, it'd be EPCOT, without a doubt. But that's because I love the atmosphere of the place, and all the little nooks and crannies that I know about after all these years.

If you're looking for a classic Disney experience with the kids, though, it's the Magic Kingdom all the way.

(Personally, my favorite thing to do in all of Disney is hang out at the Adventurers' Club at Pleasure Island, but YMMV.)

And Busch Gardens is a good 90 minutes to 2 hour drive from Disney, depending on I-4 traffic. So it may not be an option.

Romantic places to eat? Hmmm... California Grill at Contemporary is fantastic. My wife and I enjoy O'hanas at the Polynesian. If you have a pretty thick wallet, Victoria and Alberts at the Grand Floridian is one of the best in Florida, but you're probably talking over a hundred per person. The new Bluezoo restaurant at the Dolphin is supposed to be very good. Stay away from most of the restaurants in EPCOT, they're overpriced and not very good. (Yes, Italy, Germany, China and France, I'm talking to you.) We're actually taking my parents out tomorrow night for their 39th anniversary to Boma, the African buffet at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Great food.

Pick up the Unofficial Guide to WDW, it'll be the best $13 you spend on this trip.
Old 03-18-05, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

another vote for epcot

I haven't been for over a year, but I thought most of the information about Walt's life was in MGM. If you don't mind paying more to get a park hopper pass you can go to different ones. You could start with MGM, then spend some time in Animal Kingdom if you like animals (I like it a lot, but I really like the animals) and maybe have an early dinner there (I think they close pretty early but maybe the restaurants don't), and end at EPCOT - you can wander around the "countries" and watch the nightly show.
Depending on what you prefer both the night shows at MGM and EPCOT are really good - the one at MGM is more story-based, but I think the EPCOT one is a bit more impressive with the pyrotechnics on the lake.

I agree about buying the guide- it should be a lot of help.
Old 03-18-05, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Oh, almost forgot, my favorite "cheap romantic" thing to do is to go out to the beach at the Polynesian around 9:00 at night. It's very beautiful, relaxing, and they run the very cheesy electrical water parade by the beach each evening. Great place to make out with your SO.
Old 03-18-05, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Cameron
What are the best things (movie related) to do at Universal Studios. The California park seems to have the edge on it, but please make suggestions. (What does the tour include here?)
No tram tour, like California. This is just a park devoted to movie rides.

The best?

The MEN IN BLACK ride combines a dark ride experience with a game-like setting. Loads of fun.

REVENGE OF THE MUMMY is also a mixture of a dark ride with a roller coaster. The fire effects are great here.

And I have a soft spot in my heart for the ET ADVENTURE. If you love the movie, this is a charming, but mild, ride with ET on a "bike."

There's a SHREK "4-D" film, a TERMINATOR "4-D" film (the best of all the parks), a BACK TO THE FUTURE flight simulator, the classic JAWS boat ride, and the TWISTER experience. The "horror" makeup show is a kick, and there's a wildly dated EARTHQUAKE attraction too.

Universal doesn't have the wam-bam! rides of IOA, but it's my second favorite park of them all.
Old 03-18-05, 12:29 PM

Also, don't pay for a guide. Go here: http://allearsnet.com/
Old 03-18-05, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by dstrauss
Romantic places to eat? Hmmm... California Grill at Contemporary is fantastic. My wife and I enjoy O'hanas at the Polynesian. If you have a pretty thick wallet, Victoria and Alberts at the Grand Floridian is one of the best in Florida, but you're probably talking over a hundred per person. The new Bluezoo restaurant at the Dolphin is supposed to be very good. Stay away from most of the restaurants in EPCOT, they're overpriced and not very good. (Yes, Italy, Germany, China and France, I'm talking to you.) We're actually taking my parents out tomorrow night for their 39th anniversary to Boma, the African buffet at the Animal Kingdom Lodge. Great food.

Pick up the Unofficial Guide to WDW, it'll be the best $13 you spend on this trip.
I'm surprised you feel that way about EPCOT. I have been going there since the mid-80's as a kid and I still love the everything there.

Couple of suggestions on Dining:
          That is all Epcot, the resorts also have great restuarants as someone mentioned earlier. The yacht Club between EPCOT and MGM (across the lake from boardwalk) has a great steakhouse. The top of the contemporary is nice as previously mentioned, as is the Grand Floridian and Polynesian (althought the show isn't the same as it used to be I think).

A couple of suggestions on the park itself:
              Old 03-18-05, 01:01 PM
              DVD Talk Hero

Epcot-if you like seafood eat at their restaurants with the aquarium. Just to the right after entering the park. Can't remember the name. The inside has tables on different levels so everyone has a nice view of the live aquarium with sharks and many other swimming creatures. Must have a reservation or you will suffer.

The Moroccan place wasn't a bad deal.

The French was a bit high but romantic. We had a window table and were there when the fireworks show went off.
              Old 03-18-05, 01:15 PM
              DVD Talk Legend

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts
              You said you wanted to catch a show.

Go see La Nouba. Hands down the best thing at Disney.
              Old 03-18-05, 01:30 PM
              DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Buford T Pusser
              Epcot-if you like seafood eat at their restaurants with the aquarium. Just to the right after entering the park. Can't remember the name. The inside has tables on different levels so everyone has a nice view of the live aquarium with sharks and many other swimming creatures. Must have a reservation or you will suffer.
              The attraction is The Living Seas and the Restuarant is the Coral Reef Restuarant.
              Old 03-18-05, 01:51 PM
              DVD Talk Hero

That is correct.
              Old 03-18-05, 03:28 PM
              DVD Talk Godfather

Received 427 Likes on 311 Posts
              - Disney MGM Studios and Animal Kindom can be done in a day. AK actually closes around 6. It is nothing more than a zoo with Disney flair.

- Fantasmic at MGM can't be beat to close out the day.

- You'd be hard pressed to get through everything in Epcot in a day.

- when you enter the park for the day, go left. 90% of everyone else goes right. Therefore shorter lines and you get to see more. By the time you get to the other side of the park those 90% have already left or are where you started out the day.

Do a search. There have been a few helpful Disney threads here on DVDtalk, as I have posted in them. Check 'em out.
              Old 03-18-05, 10:01 PM
              DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
              The best food to me at Disney is either the California Grill or in the Animal Kingdom Lodge...Epcot is good because its also the least crowded. Make sure to go on Mission Space. I think Universal is overated. We had Annual passes to Disney and Universal, and we renewed our Disney ones each year, and got rid of the Universal ones after a year. The La Nouba idea is good. Spendy, but well worth it. For a romantic dinner in Orlando outside of Disney, Manuel's on the 28th in downtown Orlando is a great restaurant. Again, its a little pricey, but very good and probably the type of ambiance you are looking for.
              Old 03-20-05, 12:54 AM
              DVD Talk Legend

thanks guys...some good knowledge for me...I have not been to disney since i was a kid, and my wife and I never really got the honeymoon she wanted, so i am going to try and make good on this. thanks again.
              Old 03-20-05, 11:51 AM
              sdk

Originally Posted by Jeeden
              I also recommend Norway, they have an incredible buffet with cold and hot dishes. The have every type of fish and cheese you could ever want. It is very secluded also, nice quiet atmosphere..again popular, must have priority seating.
              [/list]
              And when you do go to norway, the church that is there is only half an hour drive from my house. The original church that is. And wait for the fireworks at the end of the day, they are amasing in epcot. Also i would recomend mgm, i am not to fond of magic kingdome. But that is mostly because there is so much people there. But if you decide to go to universel, the dueling dragons coaster is amasing. The hulk not so much as it was a little uncomfortable.
              Old 03-20-05, 03:11 PM
              DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Jeeden
              You MUST make reservations. Otherwise you will suffer in line forever. You need to call Disneyworld reservations (I think it is 1-800-DisneyDine or something, check their website).
              407-WDW-DINE.

I will say it depends on what time of year. If you're talking during peak periods (Easter, Christmas, summer), yes, this is 100% true. On slow periods, depending on the restaurant, you can get in without "priority seating" within a short while. I've gotten seated in places like O'hanas or the Whispering Canyon Cafe in a couple minutes during off-peak periods.

And, after eating there again last night, I'd recommend Boma at the Animal Kingdom Lodge as among the best buffets in Orlando. Wow, was it good.
              Old 03-20-05, 03:25 PM
              DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I'll chime in here. Avoid Universal Studios. The rides are very uninteresting, and there is really nothing to see for folks actually interested in film. For two adults, I'd say spend a day at Epcot or Magic Kingdom. Epcot will deliver some degree of intellectual stimulation, and the Magic Kingdom has a great sense of nostalgia, charm, and Disney history.
              Old 03-20-05, 09:37 PM

Deals for Disney

We are going to Disney next week. Any place to get deals on one day tickets? Eberything online is close to or worse than gate price.

--scott
              Old 03-20-05, 09:50 PM
              DVD Talk Special Edition

Additional general websites;

WDW Info and their discussion boards DisBoards - this one best sites on Disney.

WDW Magic - fairly good discussion boards.

MouseSavers - great site for discount information.

But be prepared they can be more rabid about Disney than peopleon here about DVD's.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.