Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Newbie needs help with a few Hold 'Em questions!

Other Talk "Otterville"

Old 03-07-05, 01:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

First off, I apologize if answers can be found elsewhere on this forum. I have done some searches and skimmed through the titles, but I've not found anything yet that can answer my questions.

This coming weekend, I'm having some friends over and would like to introduce them to Texas Hold 'Em. I've got a fairly good understanding of the basic rules, but in setting up play for a group of friends, I'm stymied over a few things and need some help desperately. If you can take a moment to add some helpful advice, I would greatly appreciate it!

Quick background: This is to be a very laid-back game among friends. No big stakes at all. In fact, we might just play for fun initially as most of the folks are completely unfamiliar with Texas Hold 'Em. I'm expecting a minimum of 6 people but no more than 8. I have the Cardinal poker chips -- red, white, and blue. I've only got 200 poker chips now (it came with the set) but I'm fully prepared to buy more -- they come in tins of 100.

1. How many chips should I have for 6 - 8 people?

2. How do I assign "denominations" to the three colors of chips? Is there a general guide available somewhere with suggestions?

3. How many of each type of chip should each person get? I'd like folks to feel like they're playing with big money, so I was thinking of $1,000 in chips per person -- but I've no idea how to allot the chips so that we don't run out of a particular color too quickly.

4. Only recently did I hear of a "blind schedule." Can someone explain this? I've done some Googling on this, but I'm not sure how best to integrate this into our game. If I want it to go, say, a couple of hours, does that factor highly into the "blind schedule"?

5. I'm a little confused when someone goes "all in." Once bidding ends for that round, do all the people who called, along with the person who went all in, lay their cards down for all to see, then the community cards, if applicable, are dealt until the showdown?

6. Say that the small blind is $5 and the big blind is $10. I realize the minimum bet a person can make is $10. What would the maximum bet be? Anything as long as it's multiples of $10? So a call and a raise would be to $20, then to $30, etc.? With a maximum of three raises per round of betting?

7. When do the small blind and big blind values double in betting? In #6 above, would the minimum bet be $20 after a certain round of betting? And would betting/raising be done in increments of $20?

I think if I can get a good handle on these questions (as well as pick up more chips ), I'll be good to go.

Thanks again, everyone. Much, much appreciated.
Old 03-07-05, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1. For 6-8 people, 300 chips or so suffice. You could probably get away with 200 but you might find yourself "making change" often. I assume you have the standard red/white/blue chipset. Pick your own denominations. The color you have the most quantity of should be your low denomination.

2. Typical values I've seen are: White = $1, Red = $5, Blue = $10 or $50, Green = $25, Black = $100. Just pick your own denomination, tell people what they are, and go from there. Denomination isn't important as long as everyone is on the same page.

3. I'd use all the chips. Count up how many you have of each color, then divide by how many people are playing.

4. The longer you want one individual game to go, the slower you increase your blinds. For my 8 person games that I've done, I've always had a blind schedule as such:

$10/20 blinds - 1st orbit around the table
$25/50 blinds - 2nd orbit around the table
$50/100 blinds - 3rd & 4th orbit around the table (people start dropping out quickly now)
$100/200 - 5th & 6th orbit around the table

and so on.. Raising the blinds quickly raises the bets quickly and causes the game to end sooner.

5. When someone goes all-in and one person calls, then they go heads up for that pot and cards can be turne dover. If someone goes all-in and 2+ people call and those two people still have chips, then cards shall NOT be turned over. The money that the person that went all-in bet and the two people that called go into one pot. A side pot is then created for future action between the two players with chips remaining. The all-in player can only win what's in the intial pot (his bet x 3) in this scenario. Cards are ONLY turned over when there is no possible further betting because only one person has chips left.

6 & 7. If the SB is $5 and BB is $10, then the betting schedule is as follows:

Pre-flop: $10/20/30/40
Flop: $10/20/30/40
Turn: $20/40/60/80
River: $20/40/60/80

4 bets max. This applies for limit games only. If it's NL, then the minimum bet on the pre-flop/flop rounds is the big blind and minimum raises is also the big blind. On Turn/river rounds, the minimum bet and minimum raise is 2xBB. Obviously, people can bet whatever they want when they want in No-limit. Some places give you the option of unlimited raises when it's head-to-head but that's up to you.

Last edited by El Scorcho; 03-07-05 at 02:01 PM.
Old 03-07-05, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Short answer for a friendly game.

1. I'd do 50 chips per person
2/3. Its easier if you do each chip is worth 1. Makes it easier for now.
4. Start off 1/2 (small blink/big blind) Double it every time once around.
5. If 2 people are allin, you can flip over the cards. If 2 other people call the small stack's all-in, the other 2 still play amongst each other, so cards remain covered.
6. If your playing no limit, theres no max bet. For limit u are right.
7. See 4.
Old 03-07-05, 10:32 PM

You might get some answers at http://www.homepokertourney.com/ as well.
Old 03-08-05, 09:04 AM

Wow, thanks guys! This has been *very* helpful. I do have one question about "limit" poker, as I'm most familiar with no limit:

Example: sb=$5, bb=$10. I understand pre-flop and flop is $10/20/30/40, and turn/river is $20/40/60/80. Question: Let's say I've got pocket Aces and feeling very confident. On the pre-flop, must I start the betting at $10 if I choose to bet? I could not go straight to, say, $40? And once at $40, is that it? No one can raise -- they can only call?

Likewise, if I bet at $10, then a raise goes to $20, then to $30, etc. with a max of $40 in the pot being called by all players?

Thanks again, guys. I've learned a lot.
Old 03-08-05, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You can only bet in increments. Can't jump straight up to $40. If you are first to act pre-flop, you have 3 options:

1) Fold
2) Match the big blind ($10 in this example)
3) Raise to $20

If you choose #2, anybody after you can raise to $20 or call your $10. Likewise, if they choose #3, anybody after you can raise to $30 or call your $20.
Old 03-08-05, 01:55 PM

That's what I thought, El Scorcho, but I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for confirming!
Old 03-08-05, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by El Scorcho
1. For 6-8 people, 300 chips or so suffice. You could probably get away with 200 but you might find yourself "making change" often
Seriously?

Geepers - it looks like I may have purchased too many chips last weekend. I took advantage of Nevada Jacks buy-2-get-1-free promotion on their 500 count Desert Sands chip sets so I have 1500 chips coming my way.