Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Washington DC "phone ban while driving" is a joke.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 03-01-05, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How does New York state deal with this, because it sure aint' working here in Washington DC, I see countless drivers still yacking away on their phones while driving, when it's illegal.
Old 03-01-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I don't remember the particulars of the DC law - is it a secondary offense; you can only be ticketed for it if you are pulled over for some other violation?

Oh - and you're right - I see drivers talking on the phone all the time in DC.
Old 03-01-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't even know they passed this. Then again I don't live there anymore so I don't care....
Old 03-01-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Head sets.....works wonders.

-pedagogue
Old 03-01-05, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm not particularly a fan of cell phone while driving bans, but if you are going to have them, they should be complete - no headset exemption since dialing is the most distracting part of it.
Old 03-01-05, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, driving above the speed limit is also illegal, yet you see people doing that all the time. Even with a complete ban, people are going to do it and accept that they might get caught.
Old 03-01-05, 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by MaxF
Well, driving above the speed limit is also illegal, yet you see people doing that all the time. Even with a complete ban, people are going to do it and accept that they might get caught.
I don't know, I kind of don't buy your theory, unless your face is on the spedometer (sp) or you set your driving to cruise - speeding and talking/dialing a mobile phone are two different things in my mind.
Maintaing your speed is a part of driving - using a phone is not.
Old 03-01-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Giles
I don't know, I kind of don't buy your theory, unless your face is on the spedometer (sp) or you set your driving to cruise - speeding and talking/dialing a mobile phone are two different things in my mind.
Maintaing your speed is a part of driving - using a phone is not.
I'm not trying to argue that using a cell phone while driving is a good thing. I'm with you there. I'm just saying that people aren't going to stop doing something simply because it's illegal. Maybe D.C. needs to step up enforcement of this law. If people think they are likely to get caught, they'll be less likely to yak it up while driving.
Old 03-01-05, 01:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Red Dog
I'm not particularly a fan of cell phone while driving bans, but if you are going to have them, they should be complete - no headset exemption since dialing is the most distracting part of it.
Huh? It's called voice dialing, my man. All cell phones have it nowadays. I use it more or less exclusively. Just hit a button, say the person's name. Works great.
Old 03-01-05, 02:00 PM

Originally Posted by MaxF
I'm not trying to argue that using a cell phone while driving is a good thing. I'm with you there. I'm just saying that people aren't going to stop doing something simply because it's illegal. Maybe D.C. needs to step up enforcement of this law. If people think they are likely to get caught, they'll be less likely to yak it up while driving.
oh most definately, I get the unfortunate feeling that DC is very lax on this law and they need to step up and disuade drivers from doing this.

No one has still answered my initial question, what does New York state do about people who use their phones while driving, how stiff is the fine and how vigilante are they about enforcing this law?
Old 03-01-05, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Personally, using a headset is not that much of a step in safety. Anything that distracts you from driving (talking on a cell, talking to your passengers, putting on makeup, changing radio stations, eating, reading a book/newspaper) are all hazards to the driver and anyone else around.
Old 03-01-05, 02:34 PM
Banned

Of course, there's some nifty kits out there. I'm looking into a bluetooth one that will integrate with the car nicely at the moment. Auto mute the stereo during a call and puts the audio on the car speakers, use a built in hidden microphone (I've already got one built into the OnStar system that I don't use currently), voice dialing built into the phone or the kit, etc.

No headset, no visible microphone. Get in the car, the phone hooks up wireless to the car kit, I can dial and talk and such without even touching the phone. Or without removing it from my pocket for that matter.

Last edited by Otto; 03-01-05 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-01-05, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Great timing for this thread since a woman on her phone almost killed my friend and I about an hour ago coming home from work.

She went right through the red, im glad my friend has good reflexes or I'd probably be in the hospital right now. She took a good chunk out of the right fender.

I was in The Edit King range of road rage after I got out of the car. The woman was a complete airhead who says "oh I was on my phone..." I responded "yeah we noticed moron thats why YOU WENT THROUGH THE RED LIGHT!!!!" Her response "oh the light was red?"

Another woman pulled over who witnessed the whole thing waited with us till the cop got there. The cop took all our information, the witness's account and told us we could go on our way. The cop was still questioning the dumbass woman, she better get a nice fat ticket.

My anger is building just typing this

So if you're one of those dopes who has their phone glued to their ear while driving, get a damn headset.
Old 03-01-05, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I still find the cell phone bans to be fairly silly. There are any number of things that could distract you from the road that aren't illegal. What's so special about cell phones other than they inherently annoy other people?
Old 03-01-05, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Here in NJ the state ban is a secondary offense so pretty much nobody pays any attention to it and nobody gets pulled over for it.
Before the state ban many individual towns had their own ban which *did* get a lot of people stopped and fined, but if was sort of unfair to out of towners but that's the way it goes.

I used to not be in favor of a ban but over the last few years I have had so many near misses from cell phone talking drivers while I'm on my motorcycle (and my life really is at stake) that I'm a real supporter of a ban now.

Of course I used to eat full course turkey dinners complete with mashed potatos, veggies, and gravy while driving. It's not a big deal, I learned years ago to steer with my knee.