Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Dang! Why didn't my teachers have this attitude?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 03-01-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, this is not another thread about some hot teacher making hot love to a thirteen year old boy. Rather, it is about teachers refusing to assign homework to the students. I never got this lucky!
Read here
Old 03-01-05, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
dang, indeed!
Old 03-01-05, 09:34 AM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Aparently it's a "job action" and not some philosophical opposition to homework.

Berkeley students aren't getting written homework assignments because teachers are refusing to grade work on their own time after two years with no pay raise.

So far, a black history event had to be canceled and parents had to staff a middle-school science fair because teachers are sticking strictly to the hours they're contracted to work.

"Teachers do a lot with a little. All of a sudden, a lot of things that they do are just gone. It's demoralizing," said Rachel Baker, who has a son in kindergarten.

Teachers say they don't want to stop volunteering their time.

"It's hard," said high school math teacher Judith Bodenhauser. "I have stacks of papers I haven't graded. Parents want to talk to me; I don't call them back."

The action was organized by the Berkeley Federation of Teachers, which wants a cost-of-living increase next year.
Old 03-01-05, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

FWIW, I'm glad to see teachers taking a stance. Everyone is under the impression that many teacher's jobs end at 3:00 PM or whenever the school day is over, but they are wrong. If they are a good teacher, they do put in quite a bit of time at both work and home.
Granted, I know there are many teachers out there who are putting forth the bare minimum nowadays, but with the pay they receive, I guess it should be expected.
Old 03-01-05, 10:04 AM

When I was student teaching just grading the in class work takes a couple hours. Think about it - 90+ tests, quizes, handouts or what ever. (At least one a day) My mentoring teacher didn't give out homework either, but that was more because most of the kids wouldn't do it anyway. They were in the general classes, 1/3 with IEPs. Probably 25% or more would fail the class, so why add to your workload and exasperate the situation by assigning homework. (Don't try to read too much in this, I'm not describing the whole situation. )
Old 03-01-05, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Public school teachers are grossly underpaid in this country. Good for them.

Last edited by NORML54601; 03-01-05 at 10:14 AM. Reason: I don't mean good they're underpaid, good that they're demanding more.
Old 03-01-05, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've spent entire weekends grading papers...and i mean ENTIRE weekends. It's one of the most unheralded and misunderstood professions on the planet. Teachers get no respect for all the work they do outside of the classroom. It's a shame. Good for them - perhaps people will start to get a clue that they do far more than show up for school hours. It is no stretch to say that being a teacher is a lifestyle as much as a profession. more evenings and weekends are taken up with school-related duties than aren't.
Old 03-01-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

People in other jobs put in a lot of unpaid overtime, too. And they don't get the benefit of two months' vacation in the summer.
Old 03-01-05, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
My teachers ended up doing the same thing when I was in high school. I remember feeling pretty bad for them, as they clearly didn't want to do it, and rather then support they just got shit from kids and parents pissed off that basketball was cancelled.
Old 03-01-05, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
People in other jobs put in a lot of unpaid overtime, too. And they don't get the benefit of two months' vacation in the summer.
Spend a week in the general high school classroom on your own and see if it is an apple/apple comparison you are making.
Old 03-01-05, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

"Two Month vacation"

one of the most pernicious myths of them all about teachers. I know more teachers who work as frigging cashiers and waitresses in the summer than don't so they can make ends meet. In fact, I don't know that i've ever met a teacher that doesn't work during the summer in some capacity or another. they work in summer camps, workshops for teachers, and various other school related tasks as well. Think of them as football coaches, you don't think they go on a 6 month vacation just because the season is over do you?
Old 03-01-05, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

brizz, my mom's a teacher, and during the summer she just gets drunk a lot and generally don't do shit. Admittedly, she's the exception to the rule, but she works extremely hard during the school year to be able to take summers off. She teaches full-time in high school and then part time at college.

My hat's off to these teachers. They provide us with a valuable service, and typically don't get the recognition they deserve.
Old 03-01-05, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Cptkirk
Spend a week in the general high school classroom on your own and see if it is an apple/apple comparison you are making.
No thanks. I decided not to become a high school teacher.

Originally Posted by brizz
"Two Month vacation"

one of the most pernicious myths of them all about teachers. I know more teachers who work as frigging cashiers and waitresses in the summer than don't so they can make ends meet.
They get paid a salary for their career. If it's not enough, perhaps they should find another line of work.

I'm not denigrating teachers. But I get annoyed when people romanticize the career or when someone tries to look like some kind of martyr because they teach kids.
Old 03-01-05, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

please..... this it just because it's Berkeley.. those idiots will protest anything .. given time. Next thing you know they'll be protesting the sky being blue, the streets being straight and cats having tails..
I agree with BWG..
I have several friends who are teachers and don't do anything during the summer but travel and "hang out". Not to mention their days only being ~7 hours long incl a lunch.
I am tired of all these sob stories.. teachers have not been paid all that great in the last 15y. Everyone knows this going in to it, if you want to make money TEACHING HIGHSCHOOL IS NOT WHERE IT'S AT.. get a degree in something else and do that.
I have to work 10 hour days and weekend some times..take research home and read it at night. And when the economy was real shitty, i didn't get a raise for a couple of years. I can't tell my boss.. " that's it i am done, i will only work 8hrs a day and that's it." My ass will be on the street.
Old 03-01-05, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Breakfast with Girls
No thanks. I decided not to become a high school teacher.

They get paid a salary for their career. If it's not enough, perhaps they should find another line of work.

I'm not denigrating teachers. But I get annoyed when people romanticize the career or when someone tries to look like some kind of martyr because they teach kids.

Well, I am not a teacher but I do get ticked when people look down upon teaching and teachers as not being worthy of praise or even a valid issue when it comes to politics and such.
I am coming to the conclusion that there must be more teachers out there in the public school system that just punch the clock nowadays and act like babysitters as opposed to those that actually go the extra mile, otherwise this attitude wouldn't be so popular. I was in a lot of honors classes in my time, so I typically got teachers who made sure we got something out of our class time. Granted, I had some duds as well, but there were more good ones than bad ones. I would hate to think the tides have turned, but a lot of the good ones I had were less than five years from retirement, so it might be true.
Old 03-01-05, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Spanky BananaPants
brizz, my mom's a teacher, and during the summer she just gets drunk a lot and generally don't do shit. Admittedly, she's the exception to the rule, but she works extremely hard during the school year to be able to take summers off. She teaches full-time in high school and then part time at college.

My hat's off to these teachers. They provide us with a valuable service, and typically don't get the recognition they deserve.

Did she spend lots of her time off bemoaning the fact that she was teacher?
Old 03-01-05, 12:46 PM
Enormous Genitals

My parents were both teachers, and they worked hard. Sure, there are tougher jobs out there, but the extra time teachers put in during the school year more than makes up for the 2 months of summer, during which my dad always took summer teaching jobs while my mom stayed home to watch the kids. Considering the importance of what they do, and the increasingly hostile conditions in which they are forced to do it, I don't think teachers are generally paid enough or get enough respect.
Old 03-01-05, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Bando: both of my parents were teachers as well. Acutally, they were a counselor and assitant principal, but they started as teachers. Mom didn't do much past her scheduled work day, I'll give you that, but she did a lot of stuff around the house once she got home. My dad was a coach of just about everything, and during basketball season he would put in some really long days and weeks.
Then again, they might have been the exception, I know my dad was for certain.
Old 03-01-05, 12:57 PM
Enormous Genitals

Every night after dinner my brother and I would sit down to watch TV while my mom and dad graded papers and/or prepared for the next day.
Old 03-01-05, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My woman is a teacher. I would agree that there are a lot of jobs that require work outside the job site. However, the teacher's contract is generally pretty specific about work days, hours, etc. I'd have to see the contract before I made a decision. Some call for a certain amount of prep time which is used for grading, planning, etc. and other do not. My guess is that a Berkley contract includes "warm feelings" for everyone.
Old 03-01-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by kvrdave
My guess is that a Berkley contract includes "warm feelings" for everyone.
Old 03-01-05, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bandoman
Every night after dinner my brother and I would sit down to watch TV while my mom and dad graded papers and/or prepared for the next day.

Never saw Dad grade papers, and Mom never had to do so. Then again, my dad taught Drivers Ed. and Phys. ed, so he never really had many to grade.
Old 03-01-05, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't have kids, but I do think that if my tax paying money goes to the schools then I think I have every right to say I feel they should get more money. And a HUGE chunk of my property tax goes to the schools. And what is it spent on? They seem to be cutting a lot at the schools. I really do believe our priorities are messed up in this world. We pay athletes and entertainers ungodly amounts of money and on the contrast those we put in care of our children (teachers, day care workers) are paid crap.

I've seen people post in the store forum that the reason we have unqualified people in retail is because the smarter people move on. Well, maybe we would have better qualified teachers if we paid them more? Just a thought.

So these teachers refusing to assign homework will do all that extra work for a cost of living raise? I've seen cost of living raises, and they are not all that. I say schedule shorter school days, make the little brats go to school all year long, and let the teachers spend extra time in school doing the work they need to get done so they don't feel so overwhelmed at the end of the day. Not a great solution, but I know there have been districts that have talked about all year around schooling before.
Old 03-01-05, 06:05 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've been subbing for the past two years after getting frustrated and quitting my full time teaching job. The day to day assignments as a substitute are great because when I leave for the day, I'm done. Right now, however, I am filling in for a teacher on maternity leave for the next 8 weeks. I took the job because I thought I might be ready to go back into the classroom as a full time teacher. Let me just say I am glad I am doing this, because now I don't have to take a contract position and realize a few weeks into it that I am sick of it.

I'm teaching in elementary school. Every day, I get a planning period that is 45 minutes to 1 hour 20 minutes in length. These planning times are so taken up with meetings and preparation for the day's lessons, that there is no way in hell that everything can be done within contract time. I can leave school each day at 3:15. That leaves me about 15 minutes to grade papers at the end of each day.

After this assignment is over, I believe I will be pursuing other career options.
Old 03-01-05, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not exactly related, but I have noticed that not many cute girls go into teaching anymore, and the ones who do tend to look for a rich guy to date and then quit the profession after marriage. That said, teaching doesn't seem to have near the people abandoning it for another career field as TV/Radio broadcasting.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.