Reload this Page >

Starbucks liqour?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Starbucks liqour?

Old 03-01-05, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Starbucks liqour?

I was at my local Dominicks (Safeway) over the weekend and I saw a Starbucks liqour product. I didn't pay close attention to it, but it did say something like "Next level of Starbucks" which made me .

I can't find any reference to this product on the Starbucks website.

Anybody know what I'm talking about, or seen it in their grocery stores??
Old 03-01-05, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that's a co-inki-dink. I was just at the "packy" two nights ago (I only go about four times a year) to pick up some Midori (never had it, cool bottle), some Irish pub ales (why drink anything else), and a nip of Macallans (I'd buy a bottle of 12 year old but I blew that money on DVDs) and I saw the Starbucks bottle on the shelf with the congacs. Cool looking dark coffee colored bottle with the 'Bucks logo - looked good to me but they wanted a lot for it

-Gunshy
Old 03-01-05, 10:12 AM
Banned

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6986467/
Starbucks launches alcoholic drink
Company to sell coffee-flavored booze in bars, liquor stores
The Associated PressFeb. 17, 2005

CHICAGO - Starbucks Corp. Thursday launched its first alcoholic drink, a coffee liqueur.

Starbucks Coffee Liqueur, made in collaboration with Jim Beam Brands Co., will be sold in restaurants, bars, and liquor stores, not in coffeehouses. Alcohol content is 20 percent by volume, or 40 proof.

A 750 milliliter bottle will sell for around $23. The product also is available in 1 liter and 50 milliliter sizes. Future Brands LLC will distribute the liqueur.

Starbucks and Jim Beam, a unit of Fortune Brands Inc., said the launch follows successful test marketing in Denver and Austin, Texas.

It’s not the first time Seattle-based Starbucks has joined with another manufacturer to diversify. PepsiCo Inc. bottles and distributes Starbucks Frappuccino drinks, and Dreyer’s Grand Ice Cream Holdings Inc. sells Starbucks ice cream.

During a January conference call, Fortune Brands said it was planning substantial investments behind the launch of the coffee liqueur. With these and other startup costs, the consumer brands company expects the product to have a neutral to slightly positive effect on 2005 earnings.

Fortune Brands is based in Lincolnshire, Ill.

Reuters contributed to this report
Old 03-01-05, 10:16 AM
Banned

Heh. Not everybody is happy about this.

http://rockymountainnews.com/drmn/lo...351469,00.html
Angry Coloradan takes on Starbucks
By Jeff Kass, Rocky Mountain News
November 24, 2004

Starbucks is the $5.3 billion, hyper-caffeinated behemoth with more than 8,700 stores worldwide and growing.

Zach Mann owns a pizza joint in the mountain outpost of Paonia - Pizza My Heart - that seats 50.

But Mann is taking on Seattle- based Starbucks one Web site, and one 18-inch white cross, at a time.

Mann is peeved at one of the coffee giant's newest brews: Starbucks Coffee Liqueur, being test-marketed in Denver and Austin, Texas, but set for national rollout by March.

The clash pits a corporation moving to expand its brand name against Mann and a handful of others across the country who charge that Starbucks should not be in the liquor business, given its mass appeal to coffee-sipping youths.

"This is the equivalent of McDonald's putting a beer stand in front of their playground," says Mann, who says he can prove Starbucks is marketing to underage youths.

"I have no problem with alcohol," he adds, and acknowledges that his crusade jelled while sipping beers in his restaurant. "I have trouble with irresponsible use of alcohol, and so, irresponsible marketing of alcohol."

The 46-year-old Paonia Town Council member has started a Web site, stardrunks.com, which he estimates has had thousands of visitors.

For a month, Mann also rented a vacant lot at Colfax Avenue and Detroit Street - a frappuccino's throw from a nearby Starbucks. Mann and his supporters stuck more than 2,400 crosses in the lot across the street and a few doors down to represent youths aged 15 to 20 killed in auto accidents nationwide in 2003 due to underage drinking.

Mann pulled up the crosses Tuesday after spending $5,000 on rent and the crosses.

Starbucks is aware of Mann's Web site.

"We recognize that people have a whole host of opinions," says Starbucks spokeswoman Audrey Lincoff. But she adds, "It (the liqueur) is clearly directed toward a mature consumer."

The average price of the liqueur, for example, is $22.99 for a 750-ml bottle, notes Lincoff. And liqueur drinkers tend to be in their "later 20s."

The liqueur cannot be purchased in Starbucks stores and will not be advertised there, said Lincoff. It is available at bars, restaurants and liquor stores.

But Mann says he has it in writing that Starbucks is targeting those under the legal drinking age of 21.

His Web site touts a Starbucks marketing brochure that states those aged 18 to 49 who had "consumed cordials in past three months, visited Starbucks at least twice in the last month."

Lincoff says the inclusion of those under 21 was a typo. She added, referring to Starbucks liqueur partner Jim Beam, "It has never been our intention for either company to market to underage people."

Mann acknowledges that parents also need to teach their children responsibility. But the father of a 14-year-old girl says the marketing power of a Starbucks makes that job more difficult.

The Starbucks near Mann's crosses is also a few doors down from East High School, and two students sitting at the coffee shop during lunch break Tuesday were unaware of the controversy frothing around them.

And the Starbucks critics did not sway Alice Wotkyns and Zena Price-Broncucia.

"Honestly, I'd be saying, 'What's Starbucks doing in the liquor cabinet?' " said Wotkyns, a 16-year-old sophomore, who was at the store for chai. "Coffee liqueur? That's nasty." (Otto: What does she think about Kahlua?)

Mann has purchased a bottle of the Starbucks liqueur, which he said was "really good," and "very sweet."

That sweet taste is what critics fear will be the alcohol gateway for teens.
Old 03-01-05, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Where's that drool smilie? I love coffee liquor in coffee.
Old 03-01-05, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

That sweet taste is what critics fear will be the alcohol gateway for teens.
Yeah, because there are currently no other sweet tasting alcohols/liqueurs.

He thinks kids are only going to raid their parents liquor cabinets because they see Starbucks?!?! I think not. Other than that, kids shouldn't have access to this product, unless they routinely hang out in bars and liquor stores.
Old 03-01-05, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Can't imagine being mad about this. They seem to be doing it in a way that doesn't market to the underage crowd.

Not sure I want to bother with something that is probably a high calorie, low proof deal, but it will probably sell.
Old 03-01-05, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Whenever anyone comes out with a product, someone has to be a bitch about it.

I hate those people.

Now where the fuck are my roadkill gummies...