Reload this Page >

Places close too damn early!

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 03-01-05, 01:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went out at 11pm to get a movie and the damn doors were locked at Blockbuster. Looked down at the sign to see that they now close at 10pm on weekdays.

What the heck? Is this new? Blockbuster closing at 10pm?

Besides the point, not enough stuff is open late. What about us night owls? How about an all night sandwich shop? THINGS NEED TO BE OPEN LATER.
Old 03-01-05, 01:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2019 TOTY Winner

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Don't feel bad you could live in a place where nothing ever opens.

Old 03-01-05, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow the Blockbuster up the street from me doesn't close until midnight and 1 a.m. on the weekends.

I know what you mean though. The only place open for food past 1 a.m. (and close by) is this crappy diner with exorbitant prices.
Old 03-01-05, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Who are you going to get to work in these places? Everybody always wants to go to an allnight restaurant or store, but no one wants to work there.
Old 03-01-05, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Move to Australia where everything closes by 6:00pm. It is really frustrating sometimes that you have to wait until the weekend to do any shopping and the stores are a mob scene because everyone is out shopping.
Old 03-01-05, 03:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 56 Likes on 26 Posts
I love that diners around here are practically all open 24/7. Some days you just want that bacon cheeseburger at 4 in the morning with some mozzarella sticks.

And to answer Brain Stew, robots and immigrants.
Old 03-01-05, 03:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
robots and immigrants.
That's your answer for everything!
Old 03-01-05, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by palebluedot
Move to Australia where everything closes by 6:00pm. It is really frustrating sometimes that you have to wait until the weekend to do any shopping and the stores are a mob scene because everyone is out shopping.

Wait a minute. Why does everything close at 6?
Old 03-01-05, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'd still live in Australia.
Old 03-01-05, 05:03 AM

Originally Posted by Neuman
Wait a minute. Why does everything close at 6?
Think of Australia as America in the 1950s or how you would imagine America in the 1950s to be. More than that though Australians have a different outlook on work and life here with life always taking the lead. The best way I can describe it is Americans live to work and Australians work to live. Also there are only 20 million people living in an area the same size as the 48 states.

I love living here...I am not Native Australian, I am from Chicago and moved here over a year ago. I wouldn't trade where I live for anything and I don't think I will ever move back to the US (don't get me wrong I love America and will always be American). With that said however there are a lot of things I miss and a lot of things I had to get used to here...and still getting used to. Sometimes I miss being able to get that bacon cheese burger at 4am...
Old 03-01-05, 06:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Think of Australia as America in the 1950s or how you would imagine America in the 1950s to be. More than that though Australians have a different outlook on work and life here with life always taking the lead. The best way I can describe it is Americans live to work and Australians work to live. Also there are only 20 million people living in an area the same size as the 48 states.

I love living here...I am not Native Australian, I am from Chicago and moved here over a year ago. I wouldn't trade where I live for anything and I don't think I will ever move back to the US (don't get me wrong I love America and will always be American). With that said however there are a lot of things I miss and a lot of things I had to get used to here...and still getting used to. Sometimes I miss being able to get that bacon cheese burger at 4am...
Damn! I guess that shows how out of it I am. I don't remember you moving down there! Shit, how did I miss that? One day you'll have to tell why you moved. Australia has always been on my list of places to go.

back on topic.

I'm a person who stays up all night so having a places close early sucks. I'll go one step further and say that it sucks that more places aren't open 24 hours. The Tower Records near me used to stay open til Midnight 7 days a week. Now they close at 10p Monday - Friday and 12m on Weekends. Even one of the Home Depot locations near me used to stay open 24 hours but they stopped that some time ago. I love the area I live in and I will often get the urge to go out at 2 or 3 in the morning. So far Ralph's market and Super K-Mart are the only ones open besides Denny's.
Old 03-01-05, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Damn! I guess that shows how out of it I am. I don't remember you moving down there! Shit, how did I miss that? One day you'll have to tell why you moved.
Have you ever just had the terrible urge to just do something different in your life? Just say fuck it and make a huge change? Well...that's pretty much it. Just needed to do something different and take a chance...so very much glad I did.

Australia has always been on my list of places to go.
If you ever want to come down here you will have a place to stay...for real...any time.

back on topic.
I'm a person who stays up all night so having a places close early sucks. I'll go one step further and say that it sucks that more places aren't open 24 hours. The Tower Records near me used to stay open til Midnight 7 days a week. Now they close at 10p Monday - Friday and 12m on Weekends. Even one of the Home Depot locations near me used to stay open 24 hours but they stopped that some time ago. I love the area I live in and I will often get the urge to go out at 2 or 3 in the morning. So far Ralph's market and Super K-Mart are the only ones open besides Denny's.
It's tough...I mean even downtown Sydney closes up shop early except for a few places here and there. My girlfriend and I are also late people and we both find this very frustrating.
Old 03-01-05, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

i would just buy some dvd's and never go to blockbuster again
Old 03-01-05, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
Have you ever just had the terrible urge to just do something different in your life? Just say fuck it and make a huge change? Well...that's pretty much it. Just needed to do something different and take a chance...so very much glad I did.

If you ever want to come down here you will have a place to stay...for real...any time.

It's tough...I mean even downtown Sydney closes up shop early except for a few places here and there. My girlfriend and I are also late people and we both find this very frustrating.

1. Wow. I envy you. You got the feeling and acted on it instead of wondering "What if?"

2. Sounds good!

3. I know how you guys feel.
Old 03-01-05, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow...Australia...how long of a flight is it? How much to export your things?

Australia...that's a hell of a move...what kind of currency do they use?
Old 03-01-05, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I have hear great things about Australia....definately a place I'd like to visit.

I love living down in S. FL....everything is open late. Bars/clubs don't get going until midnight (which is good and bad). Last call is usually 3:30am (8am in clubs) or so, and then the after hours places open.

I do wish more food places were open really late...but I live in a suburb, so that is asking a bit much.

-pedagogue

Last edited by NotThatGuy; 03-01-05 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-01-05, 04:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tarantino
Wow...Australia...how long of a flight is it?
When I went to Sydney, it was a 14 hour non-stop flight from San Francisco.

Originally Posted by Tarantino
what kind of currency do they use?
The Australian Dollar (AUD).

And I absolutely loved the time I spent in Australia, and would totally move there if I could. Very cool place.
Old 03-01-05, 05:17 PM
Banned

The thing that pisses me off the most in the U.S. is Sundays. I hate how things open up later and close early just because it's Sunday. Everything should have the same hours as Saturday.