Reload this Page >

Random Michael Jackson thoughts.

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 02-28-05, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've all seen the specials on Jacko. With all the media around him now, I was thinking...

Who are all these kids that idolize Michael Jackson? His popularity was in the 80's. I think the last big hit he had was the song for "Free Willy" - close to 10 years ago. Whenever the specials showed kids to idolized him or their biggest wish was to meet him, most of these kids were born after his popularity died. All I can think of that their parents are huge MJ fans and bombarded the kids with his music enough that they like it. I can't see any kids today freely choosing to idolize someone that hasn't had a hit since before they were old enough to recognize his name. Why not idolize some new singers that are still putting out music? Briteny Spears, Ashley Simpson, Usher. Like them or not, they are the music of kids today.

Isn't it time for a new 'King of Pop'? I'm not sure how MJ got it but some singer today should proclaim himself the new King of Pop. I'm don't know who is the big male pop star today so I have no idea who. If it was a few years ago, N-Sync could have done it considering how popular they were.
Old 02-28-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by resinrats
Isn't it time for a new 'King of Pop'? I'm not sure how MJ got it but some singer today should proclaim himself the new King of Pop.
I don't know... if I was a singer today I would distance myself from Michael Jackson as much as possible, not say I'm the next "him." The King of Pop is a fruitcake. Someone needs to be the "president of pop," "fuhrer of pop" or something more creative.
Old 02-28-05, 10:17 PM
Banned

I really don't think he molested kids but i do think its creepy that a 30 something year old man hangs out with kids. I think the kids are just trying to get money from him which sucks but its the price you pay for weird behavior.
Old 02-28-05, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

just like kids no longer listen to the beatles????

he can't be dethroned until he dies...and even that hasn't stopped Elvis

even the invincible album from 2001 was a hit...just not as big a hit as MJ has had in the past....multiple tv specials at that time.

The Media has tried to kill this man....worldwide he is still a major star....in the states, he is flawed...in the long run not sure if this will kill his cred...it's been done before....chuck berry, jerry lee lewis, ted nugent, woody allen...and so on and so on.... people still adore roman polanski...

I'd stop watching so many VH1 specials and put this in your cd player

Old 02-28-05, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just watched a bunch of his videos and performances today, actually. He's quite fucked up, but he can entertain with the best of 'em.
Old 02-28-05, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Slow Hands
I really don't think he molested kids but i do think its creepy that a 30 something year old man hangs out with kids.
He's 46.
Old 02-28-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Isn't it time for a new 'King of Pop'? I'm not sure how MJ got it but some singer today should proclaim himself the new King of Pop.
Im sorry but I highly doubt that...thats gonna be pretty hard to acheive. Michael Jackson what he did years ago...that was impressive. His Thriller video and song...that can't be topped. There is a reason why he got so high...the guy had godly talent. Keep in mind that it's not everyday that a human being can achieve something so extrodinary and touch the masses.

Michael Jackson will always be the best of the best. His music EVERYBODY on the planet understood.

Today's singers a bunch of them really suck.
Old 03-01-05, 12:09 AM

Isn't it time for a new 'King of Pop'? I'm not sure how MJ got it but some singer today should proclaim himself the new King of Pop. I'm don't know who is the big male pop star today so I have no idea who. If it was a few years ago, N-Sync could have done it considering how popular they were.
Usher and Justin Timberlake are probably the most popular male pop/r&b singers right now, but I'd really hate for them to actually be known as the king of anything. Neither of them has shown me anything remotely original or creative, and onstage they often just seem to just be channeling old Michael dance moves. Michael hasn't had a big hit in years and maybe isn't considered all that relevant in pop music today, but I think when you consider his solid 30+ years of success (including the Jackson 5 days) and innovation in music, dance, and video, he's more than earned the title of King of Pop. Usher and Timberlake are still wannabes, at least for now IMO.
Old 03-01-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty convinced he's a child molester and I never understood the mass hysteria over loving him that happens on a global level. I think it's the same sort of phenomenon that causes christian rock bands to sell out entire stadiums.
Old 03-01-05, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The problem is that he's never been convicted of any type of child molestation.

Most child abusers are slick talkers. They can convince people that they really "love" the child and "care" for children and that everyone was just taking their "love" out of context.

Jackson truly believes he is doing good for these kids. Its a sickness. One that he is in serious denial about.
Old 03-01-05, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FiveO
The problem is that he's never been convicted of any type of child molestation.

Most child abusers are slick talkers. They can convince people that they really "love" the child and "care" for children and that everyone was just taking their "love" out of context.

Jackson truly believes he is doing good for these kids. Its a sickness. One that he is in serious denial about.
but that has yet to be proven in any court...and the way it is starting to sound with the mother after all these celebs...might be a clear cut attempt to get milk the cash cow...I'm not saying the guy isn't strange...but let the courts decide his innocence or guilt...the court of public opinion seems to have made its desicion....like a lynch mob with torches and pitch forks.

the man has done alot for children....charity work, opening his theme park for disabled kids, millions spent...I'm just not ready to call him "molester"
Old 03-01-05, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I loved his music...and his dancing was so innovative. Of course, that was a LONG time ago...back in the late 80s and early 90s.
Old 03-01-05, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cameron

the man has done alot for children....charity work, opening his theme park for disabled kids, millions spent...I'm just not ready to call him "molester"
But you have to ask yourself why he has done these things.

Child abusers typically do things to get children close to them.

Let him be judged, thats what the system is for. If he is found not guilty...we'll be going through this same scenario again in another 10 years...because it will happen again.
Old 03-01-05, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by FiveO
Let him be judged, thats what the system is for. If he is found not guilty...we'll be going through this same scenario again in another 10 years...because it will happen again.
But what kind of parent would put a kid in this situation....If someone had even been suspected of something like that...no way i would let my kid stay with him, much less sleep in the same bed...i just think the whole story is fishy....the mom seems to me like a money grubber....hoping for some fast cash to keep her shut up...not happening...I hope he gets a fair trial...i hope he is proven not guilty...not just for his legacy, but for the kid's sake...I doubt anyone wants that to be true
Old 03-01-05, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by gnradd21
Usher and Justin Timberlake are probably the most popular male pop/r&b singers right now, but I'd really hate for them to actually be known as the king of anything. Neither of them has shown me anything remotely original or creative, and onstage they often just seem to just be channeling old Michael dance moves. Michael hasn't had a big hit in years and maybe isn't considered all that relevant in pop music today, but I think when you consider his solid 30+ years of success (including the Jackson 5 days) and innovation in music, dance, and video, he's more than earned the title of King of Pop. Usher and Timberlake are still wannabes, at least for now IMO.
I think the fact that the most popular male R&B singers are the ones most beholden to Michael Jackson is the greatest testament of his relevance.