Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

PayPal VS BidPay-do you avoid bidding on auctions with BidPay?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics
View Poll Results: If the seller only accepts BidPay would you bid?
Yes I would
27.78%
No I would not
44.44%
Never thought about it before-excellent question Buford T!
5.56%
Guess it depends how bad I want the item
22.22%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-28-05, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently sold about $4K of equipment and found the PayPal fees were taking a bite out of my bottom line (not unlike the eBay fees that keep getting raised).

I've bought a few things where the seller only accepted BidPay.

Do you stay away from purchasing from those dealers? More money for me!
Old 02-28-05, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just started a few months ago with buying things off of eBay. I find that Paypal is a nice way for me to go; I have no clue what this "bidpay" thing is.
Old 02-28-05, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

BidPay is similar to PayPal as far as I know. The main difference is that PayPal charges the seller, BidPay charges the buyer.

Not sure of the percentages-might depend on the amount. Anyone know?
Old 02-28-05, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I see I've really hit a nerve with this subject. Seems like I might be okay using Bidpay for the big ticket items.
Old 02-28-05, 11:25 PM

I have a paypal account, but I made sure NOT to accept credit card payments. This way paypal cannot charge me even a penny. I just require that they pay from their bank account or send me a check/money order.

You can't change your account back to this, but you can cancel it and make a new one... that is what I did due to their HIGH fees.
Old 03-01-05, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 105 Likes on 72 Posts
I guess it all depends on the price of the items for sale. If you are selling something for, lets say $10.00, a buyer will be less willing to use Bidpay because of the fee he has to pay on top of that (Isn't the buyer fee a flat $5.00 or so? and then there's the shipping too, so it really adds up). But if you are selling a high ticket item, the seller won't mind as much paying five bucks more.

Also, it is a bit less of an "instant" payment for the buyer. With Paypal, you can send out the item as soon as you get the Paypal payment, but with Bidpay, many sellers play it safe and wait until they actually receive the money order from Western Union before they send the item (Bidpay says it's Ok to send the item when the seller gets the email verification from them, but many sellers wait until they get the money order in their hands)
Old 03-01-05, 10:53 AM

I'm actually starting to look at other places to sell my stuff cause I'm sick of Ebay double-dipping (they charge seller fees from ebay and then charge the seller again with Paypal). All my stuff is gonna be on Craig's List from now on. I'll only buy stuff on ebay...never sell.
Old 03-01-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
craigslist works well in major cities no doubt. i've bought and sold a lot of things from there. (i actually found my condo from craigslist)
Old 03-01-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
I have never used Bidpay and have no plans to,so no i wouldn't bid on something if the seller only accepted Bidpay for payment.
Old 03-01-05, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by ChiTownAbs, Inc
craigslist works well in major cities no doubt. i've bought and sold a lot of things from there. (i actually found my condo from craigslist)
I actually just started looking for a condo on there as well. Only mine will be in Vegas.
Old 03-01-05, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Never looked at Craigslist before.
Old 03-01-05, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Why are people such cheapskates when it comes to dealing with eBay/Paypal? Guess what, eBay and Paypal are businesses. Do you think they should keep their servers and have a staff and offer it to you for free and loose money themselves? As far as Paypal prices, blame the credit card companies. Paypal shouldn't eat the cost the credit cards charge, you should since you are using the service.

Sure you could try to find some other service (which I bet all charge something) but noone is anywhere close to the size of eBay. Either pay the cost of doing business or keep whatever you are selling and don't make any $$ at all.
Old 03-01-05, 10:01 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by resinrats
Why are people such cheapskates when it comes to dealing with eBay/Paypal? Guess what, eBay and Paypal are businesses. Do you think they should keep their servers and have a staff and offer it to you for free and loose money themselves? As far as Paypal prices, blame the credit card companies. Paypal shouldn't eat the cost the credit cards charge, you should since you are using the service.

Sure you could try to find some other service (which I bet all charge something) but noone is anywhere close to the size of eBay. Either pay the cost of doing business or keep whatever you are selling and don't make any $$ at all.
I have no problems with paypal charging you to process credit card payments. But they also charge you for bank balance transfers and exisiting funds transfers - the same % as if someone used a credit card. In these cases, paypal basically move money around from one account to another and take their cut. What I find the WORST is the system is opaque. You the seller (business account) can not easily determine if a payment was made with a cc or a balance transfer. Each has different consequences for the seller. I repeat what I have said for a long time, if they ever break down the two (cc vs. balance transfer) people will be shocked to see how much is balance transfer.
Old 03-02-05, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk God

never used bidpay before
willing to try it out.. but most likely, i would scroll right past any auction that didnt offer paypal
Old 03-02-05, 06:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yah, I would use bidpay. I would use any method that gets me the full amount due to me (WITHOUT anybody else taking any fees). If that means accepting money orders, personal checks, paypal (bank transfer only) or bidpay or even cold hard cash, that's fine. Obviously I never ship without making sure the check or whatever has passed.
Old 03-02-05, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by huzefa
Obviously I never ship without making sure the check or whatever has passed.
true.. but many people dont want to wait an extra couple weeks to receive their item.. so they wont bid on auctions that dont accept immediate paypal payments