Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

How do people get away with tinted (front) windows?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 02-28-05, 08:26 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Every so often I see a car with tinted driver windows and sometimes the windshield too. How do drivers get away with this? Its illegal in Illinois. Do they get a note from the doctor saying they have sensitive eyes or what?

Its not always rich people, sometimes its a pretty average car with this treatment.

is there a legal way to get this done?
Old 02-28-05, 08:56 AM
Admin-MemeCat

Received 113 Likes on 68 Posts
Is the entire windshield treated, or just the upper section? I think they get away with it because there's not enough cops out there to pull them over. I certainly feel that driving down in FL wouldn't be half as bad if there were more law enforcement. It's a free-for-all on the roads down here and no one wants to pay a tax for law enforcement, so you get what you get.
Old 02-28-05, 09:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know in california you can have the front windows tinted as long as its a % of tint. I think the darkest you can go is 20% (100% would be limo tint).
Old 02-28-05, 09:18 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Yep the whole front windshield. Those are expensive cars so they probably buy any kind of excuse you can legally get.
Old 02-28-05, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by neo247
I know in california you can have the front windows tinted as long as its a % of tint. I think the darkest you can go is 20% (100% would be limo tint).
Limo tint is ~2.5%. The %age is measured as the amount of light that passes through (or something to that effect).
Old 02-28-05, 09:34 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts
In California it's not usually enforced unless the cop wants to be a dick. My cop cousin told me that years ago.
Old 02-28-05, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
In California it's not usually enforced unless the cop wants to be a dick. My cop cousin told me that years ago.
I think it's that way pretty much everywhere. Cops will only enforce if it you piss them off, or they want to use it as an excuse to get near your car and get probable cause for drugs.
Old 02-28-05, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I wondered that myself when I bought my truck, as all the windows (front and back) are tinted, except for the windshield. I would have been happy with just the back, but I'd hate to have to pay to have them un-tinted.
Old 02-28-05, 10:01 AM
Banned

Wow. Remind me never to move to Illinois.

Seriously, I wouldn't want to live in a state where I can't get my windows tinted. Everywhere I've lived they only limited the percentage darkness you could get them done, not which windows. Pretty much nowhere allows the front windshield to be tinted though. Usually they allow a strip across the top, but that's it.
Old 02-28-05, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

What about Desert States like Nevada and Arizona? I would think tinting would be required by law with all the heat and sun they get.
Old 02-28-05, 10:08 AM
Banned

What about Desert States like Nevada and Arizona? I would think tinting would be required by law with all the heat and sun they get.
Arizona and Nevada both allow 35% tint on the front side windows, and any amount of tint on the back sides and rear (even pure black at 0%).
Old 02-28-05, 10:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Otto
Arizona and Nevada both allow 35% tint on the front side windows, and any amount of tint on the back sides and rear (even pure black at 0%).

Thanks Otto.
Old 02-28-05, 10:14 AM
Banned

Thanks Otto.
No problem. Friend of mine lived in AZ for a while and got some really nice tint work done on her car there, then later had to get it changed to pass California inspection, so I got to hear all about it.
Old 02-28-05, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In california, its 70% transparency which is essentially clear tint (for UV purposes only). any darkness on the front driver/winshield is illegal. you can paint your back windows black (delivery vehicles dont have any windows) as long as you have both side mirrors I believe.

As others said, just don't make your car look stupid or draw unnecessary attention such as looking like a ricer and you should be good for a while. Tint shops will do anything you want them to if you are willing to pay for it. My old car had tint on all but the windshield and I never got cited in 5 years, and now my dad is going on 2 years with the same car. If you do get a ticket, its just a fix-it ticket so you get the tint removed and have the ticket signed off by a cop.

Some cars have factory tints which are legal. I think they are call SUV tint or something like that.
Old 02-28-05, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

No problem. Friend of mine lived in AZ for a while and got some really nice tint work done on her car there, then later had to get it changed to pass California inspection, so I got to hear all about it.
you poor man. Sitting and listening to a woman's silly problems... I hope you "hit it".
Old 02-28-05, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Personally, I hate tinted windows. As a frequent pedestrian, vehicles with tints are the most common ones to almost hit me because we can't make any eye contact. I always take the cautious approach (since I know that I'm gonna lose any altercation with a vehicle), but when we both hesitate, I can't tell if it's safe for me to move or not. And then there's always the genius with the dark tint that's trying to wave me on, thinking I can see in their damn tinted windows. While driving, I prefer to be able to see the driver so I can get a feel for whether they're about to make a lane change. Maybe it's me, but I can't read tinted cars nearly as well.

If I was in law enforcement, I'm sure I would be more concerned about walking up to a car that was tinted where the driver's hands weren't visible.

Just my thoughts
Old 02-28-05, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

you can get a doctor to write that you have light sensitivity or something and ahve them tinted as dark as you like.
Old 02-28-05, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I use to get ticketed daily while in chicago for my windows being to dark. Eventually I ripped all the tint off, just because I got tired of some bored cop writing me a ticket.. when my car was parked on the street. Good thing we have nothing worse going on in the world, they can't see to, then measure the tint of my car.. I'm still po'd about it ha.
Old 02-28-05, 11:28 AM
Banned

As far as the enforcement goes, cops seem to generally only worry about it in higher crime areas. The whole point is that the cops want to be able to see what is going on inside the cars. I had a friend who was pulled over for this in a REALLY bad part of North Las Vegas. The cops even took a razor to the tint on the window so it was ruined and would have to be removed.
Old 02-28-05, 03:49 PM

I live in VA where the legal limit is 50% (front). My Suburban has approx 30% on front and probably 20%/- on the other windows. In the two years I've had this tint, I've never been pulled over. I live in the DC area, so I think they don't really pay that much attention to it considering the large population around here - I really don't run into that many cops. That and luck.
Old 02-28-05, 04:46 PM
Suspended

That amounts here in Texas too.
Old 02-28-05, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dick_grayson
you can get a doctor to write that you have light sensitivity or something and ahve them tinted as dark as you like.
I don't think this is true. I never heard of a form from the Department of Transportation that allows people to tint their front windows.
Old 02-28-05, 05:21 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Its done here in Canada, the cops will pull you over if they feel like it.
Old 02-28-05, 05:37 PM
Li

When I bought my car last fall the owner had ALL of the windows, including the windshield, tinted so only 35% of the light could get through. The legal limit in Ohio is NO tint on the winshield, and at most 50% on the sides. It really didn't look bad inside the car (even at night), but it looked really dark from the outside.

I got pulled over 3 months after I bought the car, explained I had bought it out of state and claimed I didn't know it was illegal. The officer gave me a warning and a week to get it removed. I removed the front, but kept the sides, which didn't look as dark when light could actually get in through the front.

So in other words, people do it until they get caught.
Old 02-28-05, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

In AL, its 30% all around (no windshield of course). If you have a SUV or truck, you can get whatever you want on the rear/rear sides. Why sedans can't I don't know. Anway, I have 20% on mine all around and haven't had any trouble yet.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.