Reload this Page >

Hypnotized to stop smoking?

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 02-26-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents are both pretty much life-long smokers. My father knows a guy at work who went to a "hypotist" who does some hocus-pocus on you so you never need to smoke again. A little research on the guy shows that he has cured tons of celebrities, tons of people, etc.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...11-smoking.htm

They went to see him today. He calls in the group (20 people) and does a little intro thing. Then he calls you back in one by one. He sat them down, told them to close their eyes, and made some swishy sounds with his hands. That was it.

What the hell does he do? Is this all a placebo effect? They haven't smoked in nearly 12 hours (a record for both of them) and said they haven't felt the need at all. That guy from my father's work has been smoke free for years now. I'm highly skeptical, but apparently he does SOMETHING.

Any experience?
Old 02-26-05, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

namrufmot

Is this all a placebo effect?
There is a lot we don't understand about the brain, but we do know some things. If you want to be "hypnotized", you probably will be. If you want to quit smoking badly enough, you probably can do it cold turkey. If you want to believe that hypnosis will help you quit smoking, and the pitch is good enough, it will probably work. If you don't believe it will work, it probably won't.

An interesting experiment would be for this guy to work his mojo on two groups of people and then tell one of the groups afterward that he was full of shit and didn't actually hypnotize them at all. Would the second group find the same success once the belief in its legitimacy had been removed?

das
Old 02-26-05, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

das monkey i just looked at your dragoncon pics, they are great! i much enjoyed it.

everyone else stop reading this boring thread and go check it out.
Old 02-26-05, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

My aunt went to a hypotist for 3 sessions and stopped a 30 year smoking habit instantly! It works!

Now, if I can go and get hypotized to lose weight & keep it off without trying! That would be cool!

Sonic
Old 02-26-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
corrie's dad saw a hypnotist to quit smoking
and it worked
for a couple weeks

for most people, i think it really is just a placebo
Old 02-26-05, 10:37 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Worth trying in my books, what else have people got to lose.
Old 02-26-05, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
If they went, they probably both really wanted to quit, and that is the most important ingrediant. Also, some people are very hypnotizable, and some aren't. In a psych class of mine, the prof tried to hypnotize everyone as a group. The "thing" was that when he mentioned "Alabama" you were suppose to raise your right hand. Half an hour later, he was lecturing and mentioned Alabama. About 1/3 of the class raised their hand. Most looked confused as to why they did it, including a friend of mine.
Old 02-27-05, 03:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
A coworker of mine tried it. It worked for about a month. I don't think she really wanted to quit, though. She's tried various methods over the past few years, nothing has worked.
Old 02-27-05, 08:39 AM

Well, it must have been 100% for my aunt as it's been 4 years now and still no desire to smoke or even be around smokers!

Anyone who goes to get hypnotized "wants" a result or they simply would not go. That phrase "they must have wanted to quit" is true for all who go or why else would they? Nobody dragged my aunt in and strapped her down ala A Clockwork Orange style.

As for those who were backsliders.. maybe they had a newbie hypnotist or possibly they suffer from memory loss!

Sonic

Last edited by Sonicflood; 02-27-05 at 08:42 AM.
Old 02-27-05, 10:37 AM

This link features a book that I've heard several people used to stop smoking. I'd give it a shot before wasting money on a hypnotist.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...02718616&itm=1

Last edited by evitagen; 02-27-05 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-27-05, 04:06 PM

Received 132 Likes on 85 Posts
Fake.
Old 03-01-06, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by namrufmot
My parents are both pretty much life-long smokers. My father knows a guy at work who went to a "hypotist" who does some hocus-pocus on you so you never need to smoke again. A little research on the guy shows that he has cured tons of celebrities, tons of people, etc.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...11-smoking.htm

They went to see him today. He calls in the group (20 people) and does a little intro thing. Then he calls you back in one by one. He sat them down, told them to close their eyes, and made some swishy sounds with his hands. That was it.

What the hell does he do? Is this all a placebo effect? They haven't smoked in nearly 12 hours (a record for both of them) and said they haven't felt the need at all. That guy from my father's work has been smoke free for years now. I'm highly skeptical, but apparently he does SOMETHING.

Any experience?
Old thread, but it has been a year now. Have they started smoking again?
Old 03-01-06, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
This was the way my father quit. I think it was sponsored through work or something. He went, they gave him a tape for re-inforcement for whenever he felt the urge. He was probably in his mid early 50's when he quit and had been a life long smoker. He never smoked again.
Old 03-01-06, 10:16 AM

My dad did this and he quit for 12+ years until the divorce
Old 03-01-06, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

my dad and uncle both did this and never smoked again.
Old 03-01-06, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I think if I am ever ready to quit, that I would consider doing this. The only thing is I am skeptical about hypnosis. Never tried it though so I guess anything is possible.
Old 03-01-06, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
It's magic!