Old 02-26-05, 01:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
HIV infection rate doubles among African-Americans in a decade

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._me/hiv_blacks

HIV Infection Rate Among Blacks Doubles

1 hour, 57 minutes ago

By JEFF DONN, Associated Press Writer

BOSTON - The HIV (news - web sites) infection rate has doubled among blacks in the United States over a decade while holding steady among whites stark evidence of a widening racial gap in the epidemic, government scientists said Friday.

Other troubling statistics indicate that almost half of all infected people in the United States who should be receiving HIV drugs are not getting them.

The findings were released in Boston at the 12th Annual Retrovirus Conference, the world's chief scientific gathering on the disease.

"It's incredibly disappointing," said Terje Anderson, director of the National Association of People With AIDS (news - web sites). "We just have a burgeoning epidemic in the African American community that is not being dealt with effectively."

Researchers and AIDS prevention advocates attributed the high rate among blacks to such factors as drug addiction, poverty and poor access to health care.

The HIV rates were derived from the widely used National Health and Nutrition Examinations Surveys, which analyze a representative sample of U.S. households and contain the most complete HIV data in the country. Researchers at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (news - web sites) compared 1988-1994 data with figures from 1999-2002.

The surveys look only at young and middle-aged adults who live in households, excluding such groups as soldiers, prisoners and homeless. Thus, health officials believe the numbers probably underestimate true HIV rates in this country.

Still, they show a striking rise in the prevalence of the AIDS virus from 1 percent to 2 percent of blacks. White rates held steady at 0.2 percent. Largely because of the increase among blacks, the overall U.S. rate rose slightly from 0.3 percent to 0.4 percent.

Smaller studies had shown rising infection rates among blacks in recent years, but this study takes a longer and more complete look at changes in the general population.

"I think it's very concerning," said Dr. Susan Buchbinder, who leads HIV research for the city of San Francisco. "I think what we need to look at is how we can reduce those rates and get more people into treatment."

She recommended a stronger focus on treating drug addiction.

The lead CDC researcher, Geraldine McQuillan, said she was encouraged to see the HIV rate among younger blacks holding steady at just under 1.5 percent.

"It tells me we're making some headway," she said.

Other national data and published reports studied by the CDC showed that 480,000 HIV-infected people ages 15 to 49 should have been getting antiviral drugs in 2003, yet only 268,000, or 56 percent, were given such medication.

Researcher Eyasu Teshale of the CDC said the gap represents "a substantial unmet health care need."

Treatment is widely viewed as a central component in prevention. Powerful AIDS drugs that came into wide use in the mid-1990s can knock down levels of the virus in the body, reducing the chances that the patient will infect others.

Nearly 1 million people in the United States have contracted the AIDS virus since the outbreak began in the early 1980s. About 40,000 people test positive each year, and more than 18,000 die. However, U.S. infections have remained fairly level in recent years with the use of powerful HIV drugs.
Old 02-26-05, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts
Researchers and AIDS prevention advocates attributed the high rate among blacks to such factors as drug addiction, poverty and poor access to health care.

I would attribute the high rate among blacks to such factors as fucking around with too many people, poor self control, poor attitude towards condoms, and a lack of AIDS/HIV educatioin in terms of how it's spread and who's at risk.

Poverty? Was there a rise in VD cases during The Depression back in 20's and 30's? Can someone look that up?

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-26-05 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-26-05, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I would attribute the high rate among blacks to such factors as fucking around with too many people, poor self control, poor attitude towards condoms, and a lack of AIDS/HIV educatioin in terms of how it's spread and who's at risk.
That sort of "but wait, maybe it isn't somebody else's fault" mumbo-jumbo just don't fly in these parts, mister.
Old 02-26-05, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm sure prison butt sex doesn't help (regardless of race)
Old 02-26-05, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the average person even worry about AIDS, anymore?
Old 02-26-05, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Poverty? Was there a rise in VD cases during The Depression back in 20's and 30's? Can someone look that up?

Amen.
It's sad that while the rest of the world is trying to combat this many of us are unwilling to change our behavior. Sexual promiscuity is like the in thing to do in the Black Community. When my wife was doing some work at the free clinic she said there was kids as young as 11 coming in getting treated for VD like Herpes and Chlamydia. It's terrible that when you try to talk about personal libility for ones actions or behavior people give the lame ass "that's just how it is" line. This really has nothing to do with poverty or drugs to me, to me it's about extreamly poor parenting and denying the fact that everything bad that happens to us is not always "The Mans" fault.
Tupac once said "It's not them that's killing us; it us that's killing us" and I agree 100%
Old 02-26-05, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
HIV infection rate doubles among African-Americans in a decade

Meanwhile, the NBA declined to comment.

I think the rate of black women being infected with HIV is much higher. Truly disturbing. I am curious, though if this report includes African refugees. There is definitely a cultural problem that poor black communities have that needs to be addressed.
Old 02-26-05, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by mikehunt
I'm sure prison butt sex doesn't help (regardless of race)

...and "down lo men".
Old 02-26-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Here's and idea: STOP FUCKING!
Old 02-26-05, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In general, I would say poverty is a root cause for many of these issues you mention. Poorer people in general do have less access to good education, and I imagine this sort of problem does wield itself in poorer communities. Look around the world, and I'm sure the HIV problem is far worse in third world countries. It's not an excuse, but "being irresponsible" really does little of really looking at the problem as it is hardly representative of any specific group or area. But poverty does, in many cases, lead to the very problems you mention that cause this sort of issue. Considering that a good percentage of the afircan american population live in centralized urban areas, poverty is certainly an issue which underlies the growth of the disease (much as, say, crime can be attributed to that also. I'm sure you'll find a higher degree of crime in highly populated, poorer urban areas too).

This is hardly an excuse for anyone, but in terms of finding a solution to the problem, looking at the backgrounds of those who are dealing with the issue, I'd be willing to bet that a very high percentage of those who are in the african american population, who are being infected, are very likely to be poor, or drug abusers. Yelling "be responsible dimwits!" isn't really going to solve anything. Economic conditions are very much a factor in these things. You'll notice crime rates also strongly tie into these things too. Again, this is not an excuse for anyone, but when trying to tackle the problem, it's imperative to take those things into account.

I think when you look at any problem attributed to the black community, or the hispanic community, or any group, you're going to find poverty has a lot more relevance then race. Though, considering the tightknit communities many of these cultures in the US have, it is defaintely a factor.
Old 02-26-05, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
So you're saying that black people don't know that AIDS is out there?
Old 02-26-05, 11:36 PM
Banned

no conspiracy theories yet
Old 02-26-05, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
They left out ignorance and bad behavior
Old 02-26-05, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
In general, I would say poverty is a root cause for many of these issues you mention. Poorer people in general do have less access to good education, and I imagine this sort of problem does wield itself in poorer communities. Look around the world, and I'm sure the HIV problem is far worse in third world countries. It's not an excuse, but "being irresponsible" really does little of really looking at the problem as it is hardly representative of any specific group or area. But poverty does, in many cases, lead to the very problems you mention that cause this sort of issue. Considering that a good percentage of the afircan american population live in centralized urban areas, poverty is certainly an issue which underlies the growth of the disease (much as, say, crime can be attributed to that also. I'm sure you'll find a higher degree of crime in highly populated, poorer urban areas too).

This is hardly an excuse for anyone, but in terms of finding a solution to the problem, looking at the backgrounds of those who are dealing with the issue, I'd be willing to bet that a very high percentage of those who are in the african american population, who are being infected, are very likely to be poor, or drug abusers. Yelling "be responsible dimwits!" isn't really going to solve anything. Economic conditions are very much a factor in these things. You'll notice crime rates also strongly tie into these things too. Again, this is not an excuse for anyone, but when trying to tackle the problem, it's imperative to take those things into account.

I think when you look at any problem attributed to the black community, or the hispanic community, or any group, you're going to find poverty has a lot more relevance then race. Though, considering the tightknit communities many of these cultures in the US have, it is defaintely a factor.

But it's such a minor connection I'd say it means nothing at all. You don't have to be rich or middle class to know that bedding down multiple partners and not using condoms is risky behavior.
Old 02-27-05, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts
Hmmmm. I think being poor is the root of quite a few social problems, because it's also a state of mind. What else is there to do in a poverished neighborhood, anyway. Sex is often a way to alleviate a lot of anxiety and pain, and provides a temporary escape mechanism--much like alcoholism (which is a high rate among the poor) and drug use (a high rate of use among the poor), and even crime when you think about it. Crime could be a form of escaping the reality of one's social status (not in all cases but I think crime gives certain people something to do).
Old 02-27-05, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DVD Polizei
Hmmmm. I think being poor is the root of quite a few social problems, because it's also a state of mind. What else is there to do in a poverished neighborhood, anyway. Sex is often a way to alleviate a lot of anxiety and pain, and provides a temporary escape mechanism--much like alcoholism (which is a high rate among the poor) and drug use (a high rate of use among the poor), and even crime when you think about it. Crime could be a form of escaping the reality of one's social status (not in all cases but I think crime gives certain people something to do).
I agree with most of that but being poor and having unprotected sex with everything moving have nothing to do with each other IMO. The Black Community has a way of putting pride into stupid shit. I remember kids in my 6th grade class putting an extream amout of pressure on each other to have sex and those that were actually having sex were deemed the most popular even when a few of them had kids at an early age they were still the most "down" it was a macho thing to have a kid at 12-13. I still get teased from time to time when I run into people from my old block about being married and settled down. It's in to be a player and sleep around I know people that REFUSE to even get tested because they figure if they got they might as go out "having fun" WTF?! That's not about poverty that's about IGNORACE Blacks know AIDS/HIV out there but many don't care to acknowledge it.
Old 02-27-05, 01:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts
I think there is an amount of cultural influence on sexual behavior, as well as other behaviors, so I yeah, I see what you're saying.
Old 02-27-05, 01:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Does the average person even worry about AIDS, anymore?
I would say no but that may quickly change if this new strain of AIDS virus takes hold in the future.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cg...NG8ABA7RK1.DTL
Old 02-27-05, 02:45 AM

But it's such a minor connection I'd say it means nothing at all. You don't have to be rich or middle class to know that bedding down multiple partners and not using condoms is risky behavior.
I wouldnt' say it is a direct cause, and it surely is not an excuse. But I've no doubt that this problem is not something that is growing in numbers in the african american community at large, but instead one that's growing in the poorer communities of the african american community. That these make up a decent percentage of the african american numbers in the US is what I think is cause for the growth in these numbers. As far as I recall, while african americans do make up 10% of our population, we will find those numbers largely concentrated.

While no doubt irresponsibility and laxity in sexual acts is the cause of these problems (and of course drug users too, as intravenous usage is another way to contract the disease) this is a problem endemic of the poorer communities, not of blacks in general. Take a look at middle class and upper class african americans, and I imagine the numbers are quite different. Now take concentrated communities, which I'm fairly sure the african american community is largely concentrated in certain urban areas, where a higher percentage of people have the disease, and the problem grows.

So while you are correct that the answer is being responsible, just saying it does nothing. Seeing where the problem lies, I think you'll find what DVD Poleizei is correct, that many of our social ills are exacerbated in the poorer comunities. Unsafe sex in an upper middle class neighborhood is probably a lot safer in terms of AIDs then it would be in a largely homosexual or poor community, or in this case, a poor african american community.

Again, I'm not saying blame it on them being poor. Bad education and being just flat out dumb shits is, of course, the problem when looked at the personal level. But putting it into a more grand scheme, and attempting to find a solution, I think often times a lot of these social problems come back to the question of economic standing. Crime, disease, and so on, are oftentimes exponentially worse in poorer communities, and this is not something to be ignored. Granted, I don't know what the answer is. But certainly this issue isn't one limited to skin color, or has anything to do with that at all. The situation that many people who are african american are in I think has far more relevance, and in that case race does come into the equation, as that has relevance in the social standing that the people have at large.

Of course, I have no answers of how to solve the problem. But noting poverty as a key determining issue I think is not something to be slagged off. Being poor doesn't mean you have to make stupid choices, but in many cases that's really where the problem grows. Granted, there is no one key issue, as cultural and educational and health issues surely factor into the equation. But economics surely seem to be a major overriding factor when it comes to things like this. It's no excuse, but it's certainly part of the issue.
Old 02-27-05, 03:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by jaeufraser
I wouldnt' say it is a direct cause, and it surely is not an excuse. But I've no doubt that this problem is not something that is growing in numbers in the african american community at large, but instead one that's growing in the poorer communities of the african american community. That these make up a decent percentage of the african american numbers in the US is what I think is cause for the growth in these numbers. As far as I recall, while african americans do make up 10% of our population, we will find those numbers largely concentrated.

While no doubt irresponsibility and laxity in sexual acts is the cause of these problems (and of course drug users too, as intravenous usage is another way to contract the disease) this is a problem endemic of the poorer communities, not of blacks in general. Take a look at middle class and upper class african americans, and I imagine the numbers are quite different. Now take concentrated communities, which I'm fairly sure the african american community is largely concentrated in certain urban areas, where a higher percentage of people have the disease, and the problem grows.

So while you are correct that the answer is being responsible, just saying it does nothing. Seeing where the problem lies, I think you'll find what DVD Poleizei is correct, that many of our social ills are exacerbated in the poorer comunities. Unsafe sex in an upper middle class neighborhood is probably a lot safer in terms of AIDs then it would be in a largely homosexual or poor community, or in this case, a poor african american community.

Again, I'm not saying blame it on them being poor. Bad education and being just flat out dumb shits is, of course, the problem when looked at the personal level. But putting it into a more grand scheme, and attempting to find a solution, I think often times a lot of these social problems come back to the question of economic standing. Crime, disease, and so on, are oftentimes exponentially worse in poorer communities, and this is not something to be ignored. Granted, I don't know what the answer is. But certainly this issue isn't one limited to skin color, or has anything to do with that at all. The situation that many people who are african american are in I think has far more relevance, and in that case race does come into the equation, as that has relevance in the social standing that the people have at large.

Of course, I have no answers of how to solve the problem. But noting poverty as a key determining issue I think is not something to be slagged off. Being poor doesn't mean you have to make stupid choices, but in many cases that's really where the problem grows. Granted, there is no one key issue, as cultural and educational and health issues surely factor into the equation. But economics surely seem to be a major overriding factor when it comes to things like this. It's no excuse, but it's certainly part of the issue.

Ok, fair enough. But it still seems to me the word "poverty" is thrown out when people want to avoid issues of "morality" and "common sense".
Old 02-27-05, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

During the Black Union 2005 (yesterday on C-Span) they had the former Surgeon General on a panel, and there were some scary statistics about AIDS and the african american community. A few hours later they had on Keith Boykin (author of "Beyond The Down Low") and he had some REALLY scary statistics about AIDS and the african american community. He did a ton of research when he wrote his book. It is definately worth a read...I've read excerpts and read reviews...all of which gave it excellent marks.

-pedagogue
Old 02-27-05, 05:31 AM

Damn.

I thought that handing out free condoms and clean needles at the clinic was supposed to curb the growing rate of HIV infections.

To the American public:

We fucked up.

Sincerely,

The US Health Department

I could go into placing blame on a political party, but I'll avoid that fiasco.
Old 02-27-05, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by darkessenz
Its much easier to have high-falutin morality and razor sharp common sense when you are enjoying the comforts of middle class/upper class existence.
Bullshit. Utter Bullshit.

That's no excuse or reason for fucking eveything that moves. I still haven't seen an answer to me question about he VD and the Great Depression.
Hey, I'd love to fuck every decent looking girl within my reach too. But I don't because I'm fully aware of the consquences. Are you saying the "poverty" gives people a "go fuck free" card? How insulting and demeaning.

What are you suggesting is a good solution to this problem then ? I think that any good plan includes a more responsible take on sex education, including a strong emphasis on condoms. I know its better to say that sex is wrong and don't do it, but kids do understand practical advice when they see it. People are dying here. Cultural mores need to change too, but at least condoms could stop the bloodshed.

My 1st suggestion would be an end to using "poverty" as an exscuse for people to be living lifestyles dangerous to their health and well being. Here in America there's no exscuse for "AID/HIV ignorance". Even those Big dumb poverty stricken niggahs in the ghetto should know by now that there are serious risks in sleeping around and not using condoms.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 02-27-05 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-27-05, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I still haven't seen an answer to me question about he VD and the Great Depression.
Why use VD when it very hard to test in the 1920s vd growth rates, when a good proxy exists. Did birth rates in the 1920s rise? no they did not. From the research I have read on birth rates they increase during times of economic prosperity (baby boom anyone?). That being said, there are mitigating factors in both of those examples which do not correlate to the blacks now.

I am doing some statistical analysis for the Reno division of Americacorps Aids Outreach program so I have the CDC hiv/aids numbers readily available. Most of you are making a large assumption. The article does aswell. 2003 47% of Black male contraction was MSM (male who have sex with male). 22% was because of injection drug use and 22% was heterosexual contact. In black women however, 75% of the growth was because of heterosexual contact.
Old 02-27-05, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Decadance
Why use VD when it very hard to test in the 1920s vd growth rates, when a good proxy exists. Did birth rates in the 1920s rise? no they did not. From the research I have read on birth rates they increase during times of economic prosperity (baby boom anyone?). That being said, there are mitigating factors in both of those examples which do not correlate to the blacks now.

I am doing some statistical analysis for the Reno division of Americacorps Aids Outreach program so I have the CDC hiv/aids numbers readily available. Most of you are making a large assumption. The article does aswell. 2003 47% of Black male contraction was MSM (male who have sex with male). 22% was because of injection drug use and 22% was heterosexual contact. In black women however, 75% of the growth was because of heterosexual contact.

on the down low

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.