Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > General Discussions > Other Talk
Reload this Page >

Neighbors making noise at 11:30pm....what can i do???

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 02-25-05, 07:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The neighbors have a furniture store and they bring their work home and do work at home, sawing, banging, etc. it sometimes goes up to midnight, he has workers and they talk loud and it doesn't stop...i can't get sleep. Before i do something stupid, i want to know how to handle this the proper way. thanks
Old 02-25-05, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Try to speak to other neighbors and see if it poses a problem. If so, then you can approach them with several other people. If not, approach them anyway alone. At worst, contact the police. I'm pretty sure there's some law against making noise that disturbs others, especially at night.
Old 02-25-05, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I know what Tony would do?

On a serious note, I say approach the neighbor in the early evening and explain to him how the excessive noise is disturbing you. If that don't work, call the police and let the officers know that you already spoke to your neighbors about the excessive noise once.
Old 02-25-05, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like everyone else says talk to them FIRST usually if they are human the problem will be solved right there. If not then contact to police but be forewarned this can easily start a battle with your neighbors which can really suck worse in the long run (personal experience speaking)
Old 02-25-05, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live, Buffalo NY
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
shoot shovel shutup
whoops, wrong forum
call the cops on them for disturbing the peace
Old 02-25-05, 09:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This will do the trick.

Toss. Run. Wait 5 minutes. Sleep.
Old 02-25-05, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Talk to them
Talk to neighbors
Fire bomb

It is all about going through the proper channels to get things like this resolved.

-pedagogue
Old 02-25-05, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City
I assume you live in an apartment?

No noise after 10 pm, you can call the police.

BE WARNED...if you talk to them first, THEY WILL KNOW it was you who called the cops if it resorts to that later.

Have the super approach them.
Old 02-25-05, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
I assume you live in an apartment?

No noise after 10 pm, you can call the police.

BE WARNED...if you talk to them first, THEY WILL KNOW it was you who called the cops if it resorts to that later.

Have the super approach them.
Yeah, that's the only problem with approaching them first. Then they'll know YOU were the snitch. Of course, if it's obvious you are the snitch because you are the only one in the vincinity to hear their noise, then it doesn't matter.
Old 02-26-05, 12:26 AM

I've talked to them and told them that their construction is too noisy and they continue to make noise. I have their number, and yesterday at 12am i called and talked to the wife and told her it was too noisy, she then yelled across to her husband and told him what i said and they continued to make more noise. I took some time to calm down because i know i would have done something stupid. Should i call the police everytime they make noise?
Old 02-26-05, 12:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You could always call them at 3am or so and ask them about a new couch or whatever.

Seriously though, you've tried calling them and they didn't care about you. Try talking with other neighbors, having them call the superintendent along with you.
Old 02-26-05, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You're clearly going to have to adjust your schedule.

It's the right thing to do.
Old 02-26-05, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Do your neighbors have a face?

Do you have a baseball bat?
Old 02-26-05, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by NYSoprano
I've talked to them and told them that their construction is too noisy and they continue to make noise. I have their number, and yesterday at 12am i called and talked to the wife and told her it was too noisy, she then yelled across to her husband and told him what i said and they continued to make more noise. I took some time to calm down because i know i would have done something stupid. Should i call the police everytime they make noise?

do you live in NYC? in a coop?

if yes then complain to the board. if that doesn't work then make your own noise to drive them crazy
Old 02-26-05, 10:55 PM
Fok
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Talk to the building manager and the cops. Hopefully other people have complained. People like who have no consideration for others are fucking trash.
Old 02-26-05, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I agree with Fok. Quit bitching, and let them do their work.
Old 02-26-05, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I say you should wait till they are done working and then vaccum your floor and do all your home repairs so that they get the message about how annoying they are.
Old 02-26-05, 11:40 PM
Banned

Is the neighborhood zoned for that kind of business activity? You might be able to get them to stop by claiming that the work is an extension of their business, and that manufacturing activities are taking place in a residential district.
Old 02-27-05, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 92 Likes on 67 Posts
Send them an anonymous letter, being really nice. Then, you can act more firmly later. Also what matta said. I can't imagine conducting this type of business after 7pm would be allowed by property management.
Old 02-27-05, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Tie their door knob to a tree or something sturdy so they can't get out of the apartment...
Old 02-27-05, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You already gave them fair warning...and they did not stop. Now they deserve what they get.

1. Go to the co-op board with documentation of every time it got noisy. Call the neighbors every time. They might just stop because you are bugging them, but you should not have to call them each time.

2. Call the cops. Let them deal with it. Keep calling the cops until they stop.

-pedagogue
Old 02-28-05, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I did something like this because my new neighbor's wife got a new piano and been pratising with the open windows from 1.00 pm to whatever time she feels like it.I wrote a letter and put it in her mailbox.She got the message and later had installed sounds proof windows.
Old 02-28-05, 05:42 AM

Originally Posted by NYSoprano
The neighbors have a furniture store and they bring their work home and do work at home, sawing, banging, etc. it sometimes goes up to midnight, he has workers and they talk loud and it doesn't stop...i can't get sleep. Before i do something stupid, i want to know how to handle this the proper way. thanks
Do you live in an apt building? Accidentally, me and my SO had an identical situation today--lotsa banging, sawing, thimping, etc... She (my SO) solved in a brilliant way--went out, looked up and said "we're just wondering what's going on..." Apparently our neighbor was building wooden boxes for her flowers. It got real quiet after that, no more noise.