Reload this Page >

School Board Bans Photo Of Girl Wearing Tux

Other Talk "Otterville" plus Religion and Politics

Old 02-25-05, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

Once again I defend the school. There is a dresscode for a reason. It's not there only for people who choose to follow it.

http://www.local6.com/news/4232902/detail.html

---

GREEN COVE SPRINGS, Fla. -- After a spirited discussion over a photo of a girl wearing a tuxedo at Thursday's Clay County School Board meeting, the principal's decision to ban the picture from the Fleming Island High School yearbook stands.

Kelli Davis, 18, had her senior class photo taken in a tuxedo top and bow-tie outfit provided for boys rather than the gown-like drape and pearls provided for girls. The school's principal decided it could not appear in the yearbook because she didn't follow the dress code.

Kelli, a straight-A student with no discipline problems, is a self-proclaimed lesbian. She said she was uncomfortable to have her chest exposed in the photo.

"Because that's me, you know. That represents me. The drape does not," Davis said. "They're not accepting me, that's the whole reason we're here."

Davis denies it's about her sexual orientation, just about a student not following the rules.

"There's a dress code to follow -- a dress code expected for senior pictures in the yearbook, and she chose not to follow them. It's just that simple," Clay School Superintendent David Owens said.

More than half of the 24 people who addressed the controversy supported using Davis' picture in the yearbook, some applauding after Cindi Davis, the teen's mother, asked the board "What is so offensive about this tiny picture?"

Cindi Davis asked the school board not only to reverse the principal's decision on the photo, but to apologize for firing the yearbook editor, who voiced her support of publishing the photo.

While the board's ruling will keep the photo from appearing with other senior pictures, it will appear in the yearbook. Kelli's parents bought a two-page ad in the back of the book for $700, which will feature the picture.
Old 02-25-05, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Our Senior pics always are professionally done, and the attire is varied. Seems silly to not have an allowance for someone who doesn't want to show clevage.
Old 02-25-05, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by General Zod
While the board's ruling will keep the photo from appearing with other senior pictures, it will appear in the yearbook. Kelli's parents bought a two-page ad in the back of the book for $700, which will feature the picture.
That's awesome.

I agree with dave. Not having an allowance for someone who doesn't want to show cleavage is incredibly insensitive.

Oh, and I'd hit it.
Old 02-25-05, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To play devil's advocate...what if a guy wanted to wear the gown. Maybe he likes his cleavage?!

-pedagogue
Old 02-25-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The ACLU should be all over this one. What's next? No mohawks? No buhrkahs? No makeup? No gold teeth? No earrings?
Old 02-25-05, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JustinS
That's awesome.

I agree with dave. Not having an allowance for someone who doesn't want to show cleavage is incredibly insensitive.

Oh, and I'd hit it.

great stuff!
Old 02-25-05, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by kvrdave
Our Senior pics always are professionally done, and the attire is varied. Seems silly to not have an allowance for someone who doesn't want to show clevage.
Mandatory cleavage for the girls does seem a little wrong doesn't it.
Maybe we should send the school district the "slut dress" thread for reference for next year.
Old 02-25-05, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

That does seem a tad askew. to the parents - they sound quite supportive of their daughter.
Old 02-25-05, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Ruler

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
I agree. However the thing for her to do in that case is just not get her picture taken for the yearbook and see if she can petition the schoolboard to allow her to submit a picture with approved attire. What she should NOT have done is what she did, come up with her own dresscode and then complain when it was not approved.
Old 02-25-05, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The dress code for girls does not show cleavage -- that term is not in the article. If it's like most of the senior photo wardrobes it's just a low neckline, nowhere near showing cleavage.
Old 02-25-05, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fired the yearbook editor? at my school the yearbook editor was a student who didn't get paid but took a yearbook class. Does that mean the student was releaved of that position?
Old 02-25-05, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Without looking at an actual photo of this drape and pearls, all we have is the girl's statement, "uncomfortable to have her chest exposed in the photo". We don't know if her claim had any merit.

Are we to believe that it was only a lesbian student who had objections to "exposing her chest"? Weren't there any heterosexual girl students who felt the same way?
DVD Talk Hero

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by QuAcKeR
The dress code for girls does not show cleavage -- that term is not in the article. If it's like most of the senior photo wardrobes it's just a low neckline, nowhere near showing cleavage.
Regardless, if she didn't want to show any part of her body they should make allowances for it. If she didn't want to show her neck, they should accomodate her.

Maybe she is sensitive about her adam's apple.
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by QuAcKeR
Probably so. But I can't imagine not having some allowance for it. Maybe I find it odd because our yearbook pics as seniors were whatever we wanted. I don't think you can have guns in them (now), but even that use to be allowed.

If nothing else, why not allow just a "head shot". I agree that they don't have to, but this seems like the type of issue that the board probably should just hand back down, unless they want to really revamp stuff. It also seems like a very tough position to defend (not legally, but morally).
Old 02-25-05, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by sracer
Without looking at an actual photo of this drape and pearls, all we have is the girl's statement, "uncomfortable to have her chest exposed in the photo". We don't know if her claim had any merit.

Are we to believe that it was only a lesbian student who had objections to "exposing her chest"? Weren't there any heterosexual girl students who felt the same way?
All that matters was that she was uncomfortable. Had she been Muslim, I'm sure the school would have accomodated religious garb requirements. They should have found a compromise. Maybe a tux wasn't the optimum answer, and maybe that's her "lesbian agenda" but does it really matter?

If the guys are wearing tuxes, it is hard to argue it is "tasteless" and not in keeping with the theme of the yearbook.
Old 02-25-05, 01:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm dissapointed with all the opposition to mandatory cleavage shots !!!
Old 02-25-05, 01:34 PM

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts
I did a routine search on "teen lesbian slut cleavage" and this thread turned up. Needless to say, it does not deliver!
Old 02-25-05, 01:49 PM
Banned

Yeah, there's basically no way you can successfully argue the principal is in the right on this one. So maybe she didn't adhere to the dress code, I grant you, but this doesn't point out how she is wrong, it points out that this particular dress code is wrong.

No rule is unbreakable, no code cannot be changed. The principal should have let it slide or changed the dress code to accomdate the unanticipated situation. A principal or other authority figure without the ability to make the right decision and who simply adheres to the letter of the "code" needs to be fired.

At the end of the day, it's the responsibility of the person in charge to make the right decision regardless of the rules. If he makes the wrong one and blames it on the rules, then he's not doing his job.
Old 02-25-05, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
The principal keeps referencing "dress code". Funny I don't see any mention of actual code or rules. I'm willing to bet his "code" is really "tradition". That principal and schoolbaord memembers are
Old 02-25-05, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's always interesting to see how many different conclusions we can jump to from a short article that is posted
Old 02-25-05, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
This thread is useless without [more] pics... so that I could make an educated determination about whether or not I would actually hit it.
Old 02-25-05, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not saying they shouldn't have made some allowance... I think even the often used drape (like this ) is a bit much to force on every single female... the argument just seemed to be headed towards an assumption that the outfit was designed to show off cleavage for all the girls.
Old 02-25-05, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Does anyone actually think she did this because she was uncomfortable showing her chest? Get real. My opinion is this "self-proclaimed lesbian" did this for other reasons. Maybe she just doesn't like wearing girly stuff, or she is trying to show she is different. I don't know and I don't care. There is a dress code and if she didn't like it, then tough. She had all year to make arrangements to wear something else. If she was so concerned about showing her chest, she could have just brought up the gown up to her neck. Or I am sure the school would have let her wear a black shirt underneath. But no, she waits until time for pics, and then puts on the boys outfit and says cheese.
Old 02-25-05, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cpgator
Does anyone actually think she did this because she was uncomfortable showing her chest? Get real.
Does anyone actually think there was a written "dress code" for yearbook photos before this incident occurred? Get real.
Old 02-25-05, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by Duran
Does anyone actually think there was a written "dress code" for yearbook photos before this incident occurred? Get real.
If there wasn't, there is an easy college scholarship for her with a lawsuit. That's a no-brainer. It is quite possible this has come up before.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.